a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: hand made bow and arrow rack...

hand made bow and arrow rack...

I have squat for tools but when I get bored in the off season I get the itch to do something hunting related. I was looking at bow racks to hang in my office and found them to be rather $$$. I looked at a few then came up with my own simple easy to build pattern. When I say simple I mean that all I used for tools was an electric drill, a mitre/chop saw, a wood burner, small palm sander, and screw driver. I basically laid my bow and my sons out flat and measured to see how wide to make the rack and then figured the arrow length to do the height. This rack is made of clear red oak from Menard's and cost a grand total of $25 including stain and varnish. It was fun to build however at the same time very challenging with my limited tools and knowledge. I liked the end results so here is a picture for all DIYer's

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice want to build me one I will pay you $50!
    08 FireStorm Blue Bowtech General 27.5 / 60# ,Toxonics 5 pin .019 Sight ,TT Orig Micro adj. Rest , Easton Bloodline 480's , Vanetec Hp 2.0 , 11" PythonStabalizer, Spott Hogg SNS Release,
    BC Bowstrings Shooting Staff www.bluffcountrybowstrings.com

Nicely done Quick question, the pegs holding the bows, are they angled, straight or is there something else holding the bows that can't be seen in the picture?

Hmmmm.....

I was wondering the same thing.. I think it would be best to have some kind of cap on the end of the pegs. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe two View Post
    I have squat for tools but when I get bored in the off season I get the itch to do something hunting related. I was looking at bow racks to hang in my office and found them to be rather $$$. I looked at a few then came up with my own simple easy to build pattern. When I say simple I mean that all I used for tools was an electric drill, a mitre/chop saw, a wood burner, small palm sander, and screw driver. I basically laid my bow and my sons out flat and measured to see how wide to make the rack and then figured the arrow length to do the height. This rack is made of clear red oak from Menard's and cost a grand total of $25 including stain and varnish. It was fun to build however at the same time very challenging with my limited tools and knowledge. I liked the end results so here is a picture for all DIYer's
    Thats a really good looking rack.. But $25 bucks you must have connections.. I made one out of a cheaper wood called popalar and the grand total cost me $36.63 Plus varnish. So around 45 bucks.. And i thank you for the way you did it.. IT was simple enough that i felt like building one myself today. Last night my bow fell fof the table and i got pissed, so i went to homedepot today and picked up everything and this is what i made.. Its very similar to yours probably almost exact in a way. If i would of did this in oak it would of cost me about 25 bucks more. But anyway heres mine.. my bow is not on it because the dowls that i put on to hold the bow are still drying. the glue is still wet so if i put a bow on it, its prabably gonna fall down AGAIN!.. lol

Florida Outdoors Hunting & Fishing.
    http://WWW.FOHAF.COM

2009 PSE Bow Madness XS Compound bow
    Octain Stab, Limbsavers, Blackgold flash point 4 pin site, Spider String Silencers, QAD pro HD Rest, limb saver cable slide & BuckNasty strings.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpie View Post
    Nicely done Quick question, the pegs holding the bows, are they angled, straight or is there something else holding the bows that can't be seen in the picture?
    i'd suggest having pegs that hold the string too.

So you have two pegs holding the riser/limbs, and two hold the string right above those.

The ones that support the limb/riser you can put in flat. Go up and mark where your string will rest, and put an angled hole there for the string holder.

When you put the bow on, just put the string in and slide it down onto it's pegs. That way if it ever wants to fall the angled pegs keep the bow on the rack.

just something I'd try....
    Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light. Micah 7:8
    And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 2 Corinthians 5:15
    You were right Christian, I love my GTO. I wish you were here to enjoy it with me. I miss you buddy.
    R.I.P. Christian Goodpaster (aka Naturesfly), the fisher, the hunter, my friend
    11/26/1984-12/18/2008

yea i was thinking the same thing.. but i cant really put my bow on it until the glue dries on the dowls.. when it dries ill be measuring for that.. thanks. I think it took me 20 mins to build. took me longer to finish it. i guess being a carpenter makes it fast.. lol

Octain Stab, Limbsavers, Blackgold flash point 4 pin site, Spider String Silencers, QAD pro HD Rest, limb saver cable slide & BuckNasty strings.

Maybe some of those rubbery coated garage hooks you can get almost anywhere to use as riser holders?

yea i got some of those.. im trying to keep the whole thing wood.. ill just run ot homedepot and find something in a wood.

Yes, you're right. It would make it look tacky with all the finished woodwork. It looks great to me the way it is. I think I could tackle this project, I have limited woodworking tools also.

PM me and ill email I the plans and all specs.

pegs....

if you notice the location the pegs are on the limbs that makes the bow sit in the pegs like a cradle and the pegs stick out from the actual rack a little over two inches which you can vary based on how wide your limbs are. It would take some effort to knock my bow off but it doesn't hurt that I did angle the pegs just slightly. I used a paddle bit to bore the holes the pegs are in and I bored them and inch and a half deep then used wood glue as well. They are very soild. Another method I thought of when I was worried the bows may fall off was to drill a small hole side to side through the end of the dowel rods I made the pegs from and then glue a smaller dowel rod through those holes allowing it to stick out and make a small retainer. Thanks for all the comments, I am honored that somebody liked my design enough to make one similar to it! Enjoy! Also, I didn't mention it and you can't see in the picture but I counter sunk all the screw holes in the sides and glued in oak plugs, this is old school and now days they have those neet little jigs that you can use to drill all your holes in the back at an angle so they are hidden. Don't have one of those yet but they aren't real expensive and they are great!
    Last edited by wannabe two; January 19th, 2009 at 01:27 AM.

Nice touch on the counter-sinking. Glad I waiting to make mine, wouldn't have remembered to do that. Been decades since wood shop. The only thing I see missing is the "V" groves in the top of the rack for your "Robin Hood" arrows.

T threw one togther about a month ago that cost me around $45 but had a few more materials than yours. Simple yet effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Freedom has a taste, and for those that have fought for it, the taste is so sweet the protected will never know..." - General George Patton

Nice work. Guess I have a project comin up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
    Nice want to build me one I will pay you $50!
    build me one too i will pay you $50!

Quote Originally Posted by scarn150 View Post
    T threw one togther about a month ago that cost me around $45 but had a few more materials than yours. Simple yet effective.

Very nice work. Do you still have the plans for it? Stain color and type of wood would be nice as well.

Edit: Wood looks like pine.

Thanks,

CP

Quote Originally Posted by CounterPoint View Post
    Very nice work. Do you still have the plans for it? Stain color and type of wood would be nice as well.

Edit: Wood looks like pine.

Thanks,

CP
    Don't really have any plans. I can tell you the measurments of mine if you like. Also it is pine stained with rosewood to match my flooring. Back is a clear piece of lexon and I spray painted the back side of it black to give it a mirrored look.
    "Freedom has a taste, and for those that have fought for it, the taste is so sweet the protected will never know..." - General George Patton

Wow!

Nice job Scarn! All of em look good that I've seen on here. Better than the ones I saw that are pro built!

Could you do one for 4 longbows???

Bargain Bin bow rack

i have one similiar made at a workshop for mr/dd people, cost me $35.00 made out of pine with light cherry stain and clear coat. my arrows go in horizontally rather than vertical makes easier to remove them and can be hung closer to ceiling of room and mine has a shelf for releases do dads and what knot, intend to put door on shelf have to get long piano hinge. will try to post pics

Great job!

Do you have any photos from the side? I would like to make something like this. Please e-mail to lw802@planters.net. Thanks...Papa Lou

Very nice

Here's one I made a couple months ago. Will hold about 4 recurves, 2 by string 2 by limbs.