Thread: Good News For Naa

Good News For Naa

a report notes that archery was the second most "resourceful sport" of our teams at the 2000 games based on money spent and medals won. Swimming (which won more medals than any other sport and only features a few countries that realistically compete) was number one. Gymnastics-which spent 14 million (fourteen times the archery) and was shut out was the least resourceful.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

Thanks for the information, Jim. Where can we get a copy of this report? Who wrote it?

Thanks!

-peace,
    Hollywood

probably because swiming like archery is for the most part self funded. you can also get a pool membership for around 1/4 the the cost of a new bow. not counting lane time. Just about every public or semi public pool in the country has a a swim team. For instance the pool I swim at has around 5-6 youth teams using the facility, and 1 or 2 adult teams using the facility. another factor is the number of competitions at the local adn collegette level

there is a huge number or pool of talented swimmers feeding and competing for olympic level spots. unfortunatley there are far fewer archers competing for the top spots. the question is how to change it, with out ruining what is so great about archery?

Here's a link to the May 1 report being referred to here.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/other...852379,00.html

I find it *very* disturbing when the net worth of a sport- any sport- is reduced to medal counts in an article like that, but that's just me.

No mention of how many junior athletes are being developed by those federations, no mention of how many kids are doing something productive because of those US Swimming/Gynmnastics/TKD dollars instead of wasting away playing video games... but I digress.

It's not just you, George. Excellent points.

-peace,
    Hollywood

Thanks, 'wood.

I do know better, but sometimes, when I see articles written with that focus in mind, I feel like Bolivar, who lamented on his deathbed, "I have plowed the seas..."

God love you, George. I generally agree with you on most topics but I am out of my league on this quote! Was that a feeling of futility that he was expressing?

See you in about three weeks? Hope so.

-peace!

This is a serious problem for archery IMHO. At teh Olympics there is very few opportunites to win medals. Look at how many medals can be won in swimming, about 4 times that of archery, maybe more (I hate swimming).
    We have Mens, womens and the 2 teams which counts for 4 possible medals.
    POssibly we need to get some more archery 'events' in so archers can bring home more medals than the swimmers and then we will see more funding.
    Beiter Nocks
    Urban Archery

the article THAT I READ also noted that some sports claimed this analysis was unfair-US TENNIS-for example sees the Olympics as merely a secondary event-Davis Cup and top 100 ranked pros on the ATP tour are more important-US Soccer sees the world cup as a bigger event. Swimming has so many more medals. I would note that some sports that are very popular to watch actually have very few people who really participate in the sport-Ice Skating and Gymnastics are two of those for example.

I agree with George's sentiments.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY

GT;

"I find it *very* disturbing when the net worth of a sport- any sport- is reduced to medal counts in an article like that, but that's just me."

Yes, it's pretty discouraging - but that’s way it goes, there is always a bias towards what is perceived as a "popular" or "desired" sport, and those “desired” sports will always receive more funding. If the USA Track & Field squad does terribly in an Olympics their funding increases with the goal to produces a better team for the next Olympics, if say Archery doesn’t do well, they could have their budget cut as a punitive measure – or funding reallocated to other more “desired” sports. Mind you in the case of archery there may be a little more politics involved with Jim Easton on the IOC – everyone wants to stay friendly where influence is involved.

It’s an unfair world…

"POssibly we need to get some more archery 'events' in so archers can bring home more medals than the swimmers and then we will see more funding."

Unlikely, unless you can find a way to increase the number of metal events within the defined time/event restrictons that archery is dictated...

-CG

how about swim archery ? you need to swim 500 meters with your bow and arrows then shoot a target

seriously i think feild archery may have the next best chance of being added to the olympics. seeing somebody make one of those insane uphill or downhill shots has to make joe coach potato sit up and say wow.

Originally posted by Jim C
    I would note that some sports that are very popular to watch actually have very few people who really participate in the sport-Ice Skating and Gymnastics are two of those for example.
    As a dad of a gymnast I'd disagree with that statement. There are many more gymnasts in the US than competitve target archers. (Probably more than any kind of archer including bow hunters.) It is WAY more competitive, there are many more online discussion boards, (there is even one for gym moms to to talk about how good their daughter is and how lame the coaches are), and way more money generated by the sport. The reason people watch is because it is exciting. It is amazing to see a young girl do a round off, back handspring, back tuck on a a 4" beam. My daughter has a sweatshirt that sums it up. "You run like a girl, you jump like a girl, you throw like a girl, you tumble six feet over a four inch beam like a girl."

In comparison watching archery is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

My wife gets pissed at how little gymnastics there is on TV. (And at how badly its shown when there is some on. NBC did a praticularly bad job at the last Olympics.) Instead they'll show sports like keggling and billiards.
    geoff

Got recurve?

I disagree Baldmountain. what do you consider "competitive"? HS Kids competing in HS gym meets? perhaps but the fact is name 10 gymnasts over the age of 30 that compete. Its not a lifetime sport-Darrell Pace, Rick McKinney and Butch Johnson have logged more international meets than probably 100 gymnasts combined at the world class level. Millions of people shoot archery and if the goal is to get people active in something, than archery is far better at doing that than a sport that basically ends for 95%of its participants when they graduate HS.

I think the USA ought to put more effort into activities that people will participate in over their lifetime if "government" expenditures (which I oppose on most levels) are the issue.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY

I disagree Baldmountain. what do you consider "competitive"? HS Kids competing in HS gym meets? perhaps but the fact is name 10 gymnasts over the age of 30 that compete. Its not a lifetime sport-Darrell Pace, Rick McKinney and Butch Johnson have logged more international meets than probably 100 gymnasts combined at the world class level. Millions of people shoot archery and if the goal is to get people active in something, than archery is far better at doing that than a sport that basically ends for 95%of its participants when they graduate HS.
    I think it is interesting that there are NCAA Championships for Gymnastics but not for Archery. So no, gymnastics doesn't end at HS graduation. It just gets harder.

As far as being a lifetime sport name 10 competitve football players over 30 or rugby, or soccer. The only sports that are lifetime sports are sedentary sports. Archery, golf, billards, etc. Most sports are too destructive to the body for an athlete to be competitve much past their late 20's. Gymnastics is particularly destructive because it is so intense. My daughter's other sweat shirt sums it up: "If Gymnastics was easy it would be called Football."

I think the USA ought to put more effort into activities that people will participate in over their lifetime if "government" expenditures (which I oppose on most levels) are the issue.
    I also find it interesting that when people talk about increasing the numbers of archers they talk about getting kids involved. There are MANY more kids involved in gymnastics than archery. Gymnastics is an active sport that promotes good health, (while destroying your ankles, knees and wrists. ) Where as archery is a largely sednetary sport that promotes, ummm..., being sendentary?

People are willing to pour money into sports that are fun to watch. (Golf is the only exception, they have better marketing.) Archery just isn't fun to watch.
    geoff

Got recurve?

Archery just isn't fun to watch.
    Geoff,

I hope you have an opportunity to come see a properly run Olympic elimination round sometime.

If, after sitting through one match, you still have that view, lunch is on me

My old squash coach just won the world doubles title for 65 Plus. That is one of the most demanding sports going and yet they even have a 75+ division. An old tennis coach-Eddie Moylan US DAVIS CUP-1940's-used to hit with me at Cornell in the 80's-I understand he still plays today!

The NFL has many guys over 30.
    How many of those kids are involved in gymnastics at age 25? BTW my roommate in college was all Ivy in the Floor exercises so I know about gymnastics. Yes, its tough-no doubt about that but that isn't the issue. The issue is spending money on stuff that either wins medals or gets people off their butts.

I suspect that what helps gymnastics popularity is 1) lots of TV coverage (they showed the EXHIBITION of gymnasts-that idiotic nonsense choregraphed to "YMCA" at atlanta rather than the Gold Medal Soccer match)

2) lots of mothers thinking their daughters look cute in a leotard

3) People wanting their daughter to be the next Olga, Nadia, or Mary Lou. I note that boys are few and far between meaning the IMAGE is what drives the participation by youth
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY

Originally posted by >--gt-->
    Geoff,

I hope you have an opportunity to come see a properly run Olympic elimination round sometime.

I have a vision where folks like you, Jeff Hopkins, Dee Wilde, Dave Cousins, George Ryals, Jim Despart, Eric Griggs, etc. form an organization based on a game like a properly run Olympic elimination round whose sole purpose is to make it possible make a living as a professional archer. It would be run as a business with a real marketing branch analogous to the PGA. It would not be mired by cliques, fifedoms, politics and general confusion like the current organizations. It would act quickly to kill off organizations like ASA, NFAA, IBO, etc. or at least make them unimportant. (NAA would be supported as an organization for developing olympic archers.) The organization would seek to make archery a professional sport rather than an off season sport for bow hunters. It would seek sponsorship outside of the archery industry and banish camo clothing to hunters. It would eliminate the myriad of games and classes and stick to an easy to grasp set of events. Perhaps just men's freestyle unlimited and women's freestyle unlimited and that's it.

The only thing required is for someone with the pull and business ability to stick their neck out far enough to make it happen...
    Last edited by baldmountain; May 12th, 2004 at 12:05 PM.
    geoff

Got recurve?

Baldmountian your football analogy is way off. There are many teams out there with more then 10 30 year olds out there. Gymnastics is a very demanding sport I havn't seen anybody say it wasn't.

Yes there is a College national championship. And a World University Championship this year

Being in the military I can tell the popularity of gymnastics is only popular in parts of the country and only really have teams in the big metro areas. Yes there is some out in the rural areas but not near what you are proposing. Most colleges don't even have it (more then archery). The only problem I have with sports like gymastics and swimming they keep adding events for the people that could not make it in the original events. Like rythmic gymnastics, sychronized swimming now even sychronized diving.

I personaly love to watch gymnatics especially the men. The reason I like the men better is because they do the moves and there is not so much artistic and dance involved.

Originally posted by >--gt-->
    Geoff,

sat through one last year at naa national. pretty exiting to watch, (when annouced well). It actually reminded me a lot of watching a really good tennis match.

gt often calls these matches-he does a great job.
    nothing compares to (I BELIEVE) the 96 ladies team gold medal match: Germany was leading the heavily favored Koreans when the German girl shot a 1 (C Pfohl if I remember). She was so flustered she stepped off the line and the teammate behind her shot. The korean archer saw the 1 and you could almost see the slightest trace of a smile on her face-bang bang bang-two x's and a 10 or 9 from the Korean. Game set match basically.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    I buy from BCY

Originally posted by baldmountain
    As far as being a lifetime sport name 10 competitve football players over 30 ....
    The Oakland Raiders!!!

Sorry, could not resist that!

But you are truely correct if there were such a "Professional" Archery Organization, or the such I think it could be a big deal....but it only takes money...Anyone know Donald trump??? can you get him interested in Archery please?

Well this sure went from a positive thread to a snippy one awful quick. Hope this is an exception. I'd like to have a genuine FITA forum hosted in the U.S. for a change. We sure need to get more involvement and understanding for Olympic style archery here in the states.

John.