Archery Talk Forum banner

Why are crossbows illegal in NC??

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  kennisondan 
#1 ·
Anyone know the answer to this?

#2 ·
don't know why but I hope you guys down there in NC get it figured out in the next 5 years so when I move out of NJ to NC you will have full inclusion.

Usually ingnorance is the reason but there has been a big move this year with new states allowing crossbow so I hope its just a matter of time till it reaches you guys down there. MICH PA NJ have just allowed it with I hope other joining in soon.

Best of luck

Brian

#3 ·
They are not...you just have to have a dissabled permit to hunt with them and if say you wanted to buy one from me you need to fax me a copy of your PISTOL permit so I can keep it on record when I ship the bow to you...stupid, I know, but that is NC law...

Wyvern

#6 ·
i have mixed feelings on the whole crossbow issue. i moved from NC to SC and everything down here is crossbow. it's hard to find much of anything related to a bow unless you have a crossbow. i'm still doing some research and some thinking on this one.

#7 ·
Why the confusion??? Unlike Compound users us crossbow guys have no problem with what you choose to hunt with :) See if you can find a crossbow to try and see if you like it...It is just another "bow" and if you enjoy shooting it go have fun, if not, then shoot what you want. I shoot long bow, compound, and crossbow depending on the season and my mood at the time I am walking out the door to either shoot or hunt...Its all archery :)
Wyvern

#8 · (Edited)
There's one thing we crossbow folks are missing out on

:p We have no place on a crossbow to put all those gadgets they "decorate" compound hunting bows with:p (drop away rests, fiber optic sights, stabilizers, string loops, levels, string peeps, nock sets and pendulum sights, etc. :) Only Kidding!!!!!!!!! Not trying to start anything here. Matter of fact, I still have cabinets full of that stuff from my vertical bow shootig days............and I loved it, but all good things must come to an end. I was shooting my own pendulum sight design 3 years before it showed up on the market. I was shoootig it on a Bear Polar II compound. Killed 3 bucks in 3 days with it. I still have it in a box sitting with all my other long lost vertical bow gadgets including a box of triggers (releases). Bottom line...............if it shoots an arrow, it's allright with me :)

#10 ·
You know the answer to that :)

As a reminder, once again:p 99.9% of crossbows in this country are used for hunting. When the word "illegal" is used, you can assume it's referring to hunting.......................I think:darkbeer:

#11 ·
This is the reason

From another thread, on crossbownation.com, there was a murder committed with a crossbow there in I believe 1992. Since then in order to buy one, in state, you need a Pistol Permit. The full court case and ruling is listed in that thread. Do a search, you'll find it. All the info you need to answer your question.

#12 ·
Moon -

No...not really. With some of the laws here in sunny California on the books...I'd be inclined to believe most anything as weird.

vaguru -

I guess as noted above, a hand gun permit for a crossbow...! I'd like to see a crossbow hidden under a trench coat, or in the waist band !

There's been a coupla new crossbow shootings that have surfaced lately...not good. But mostly just peoples stupididly..at least the accidental shootings, or maybe the on purpose ones too.!?

Mike

#17 ·
#15 ·
Possible changes from the NC Wildlife Commission

Open the link below and scroll down to the top of page 17. Hopefully things are about to change here in NC. From what I have heard and seen, positive comments have outnumbered negative comments at the public hearings. Anyone can go to www.ncwildlife.org and submit online comments in agreement for the proposal. The comment link is on the top right hand corner. We need all the help we can get.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/news_stories/pg00_NewsRelease/2009_10_public_hearing_booklet.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.