Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Best All Around Bow?

  1. #1

    Best All Around Bow?

    I'm all new to this site thanks to Johnson21. Want to know what would be the best all-around entry-mid level bow for 2009??



  2. #2

    my opinion???

    i say SKIP the intro and mid level bows. the truth of the matter is,,,,why mess with second best ??? go straight to the top and buy the best. most of us hunters will tell you of the thousands we spent BEFORE we hooked up to the best.

    all those low level mid level bows ??? no one wants to buy them,,,and if they do,,,they are people who GRIND pennies and wont pay much for them....

    but the top bows ??? say you decide to abandon the sport,,,you place an add for a top flight bow and you'll practically get all your money back.

    for instance,,,i bought a brand new switchback for $575. i think i can practically sell it for almost as much as this right now. and thats after 3-4 years of ownership.

    i would say mathews bows hold their resale best. i shoot pse mostly,,,and right now a x-force 6 which i feel is the best bow made. it holds decent value. i also own a bowtech 82nd airborne which dropped value pretty good.

    so if your not sure how long or if you'll stick by the sport,,,its laways good to know which bows by and large hold their resale value. i have to say mathews holds as well and BETTER then them all.
    Acts 10:13
    <+><

  3. #3
    That makes sense, thanks for such a quick reply, I hunted last year with an old Browning Bow (hand me down from a buddy) but it doesn't shoot worth a darn after 30 yards. I didn't ever have a shot withing 60 yds but even if I did the arrow's droppin so much I doubt I'd hit much! I'm looking to get a new bow soon but thought it'd be best to get some more experienced archers honest opinions first. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    81
    I'd go with a Hoyt. The have a ton of mid entry bows that are great for hunting. I have a Hoyt and I love it. It's an '04 and it shoots just like a brand new one. They also keep theeir value very well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    268
    Its just like any other decision in life. When you go to buy a car.... Ford, GM, or Chrysler (for example). Who's better ? Who knows.. When you want to watch the news, ABC NBC FOX? who's better, who knows. Go to the store, pick up a few and decide what feels good to you. Don't worry about what others think. If its good for you, who cares what others have said or what they think.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    4,044

    Hoyt

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoytfamily5 View Post
    I'd go with a Hoyt. The have a ton of mid entry bows that are great for hunting. I have a Hoyt and I love it. It's an '04 and it shoots just like a brand new one. They also keep theeir value very well.
    I agree with this

    +2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Posts
    35
    My opinion, if it must be a 2009 model, i would say either a Mathews S2 or Martin Moab/or Firecat. AT classifieds have some awesome deals on 08 models about half price of new on alot of bows.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southwest Indiana
    Posts
    2,374
    Everyone will tell you to buy the brand that they shoot.
    The truth is, you need to go to a pro shop that you trust and shoot as many bows as possible.
    I guarantee if you do this, there will be one bow that stands out above the rest in the way it feels to you.
    For me it was a Martin Moab. I don't like it because of the price, or because of the reputation of the company, or because my friends will think I'm cool. I like it because It was the one that spoke to me. I like the way it balances, I like its weight, I love the draw cycle, I like the way it feels after the shot, etc. If it were twelve hundred dollars, made by MTD lawnmowers, and painted purple, I would still buy it because I believe it is the best bow for ME.
    You may hate it for all of the same reasons...and thats OK too.
    My brother in law fell in love with the Hoyt vectrex plus. I don't like it and would never be happy with it. It feels all wrong to me. But for him it is the best bow out there.
    All of the major companies are building reliable accurate bows these days, you need to buy the one that YOU fall in love with and don't worry about what anyone thinks.
    Good Luck!
    LONESOME ELK ARCHERY TERRE HAUTE IN.
    Look Well to the East

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shelbyville Michigan
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierflogger View Post
    Everyone will tell you to buy the brand that they shoot.
    The truth is, you need to go to a pro shop that you trust and shoot as many bows as possible.
    I guarantee if you do this, there will be one bow that stands out above the rest in the way it feels to you.
    For me it was a Martin Moab. I don't like it because of the price, or because of the reputation of the company, or because my friends will think I'm cool. I like it because It was the one that spoke to me. I like the way it balances, I like its weight, I love the draw cycle, I like the way it feels after the shot, etc. If it were twelve hundred dollars, made by MTD lawnmowers, and painted purple, I would still buy it because I believe it is the best bow for ME.
    You may hate it for all of the same reasons...and thats OK too.
    My brother in law fell in love with the Hoyt vectrex plus. I don't like it and would never be happy with it. It feels all wrong to me. But for him it is the best bow out there.
    All of the major companies are building reliable accurate bows these days, you need to buy the one that YOU fall in love with and don't worry about what anyone thinks.
    Good Luck!

    +1 on that.
    Dont be afraid to shoot brand new year old models and see what you think of those either, theres a lot of good bows made in the last couple of years. Also check out the classifieds to see if you can find what you like at an even better price. hope this helps.
    Prime Impact
    Bowtech experience
    Strother Wrath

  10. #10
    I would go to a shop and shoot as many as possible. check out the elites they are really nice.

  11. #11

    best bow??

    Quote Originally Posted by akacornelius View Post
    Its just like any other decision in life. When you go to buy a car.... Ford, GM, or Chrysler (for example). Who's better ? Who knows.. When you want to watch the news, ABC NBC FOX? who's better, who knows. Go to the store, pick up a few and decide what feels good to you. Don't worry about what others think. If its good for you, who cares what others have said or what they think.
    Agreed akacornelius, I would recomend checking out different shops to see what is available and trying several out. Then choose the one you want.
    Theres many great bows out there today.
    Pick the one you like best.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Appomattox Virginia
    Posts
    208
    Get a Bowtech!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    hardin county texas
    Posts
    11,676
    martin bengal, you may never want to get another bow

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    windsor NY
    Posts
    20,026
    you will have to shoot alot of bows. the bow picks you not the other way around. once you pick up that bow thats made for you, you will know it.

    some brands a highly recommand are:

    Martin (cheapest in price andmy favorite company high quality for an amazing price)
    hoyt ( pricy but dang they are the strongest bow on the market and are real shooters)
    mathews ( pricy but have a nice draw and are light)

    bows:

    martin: $450 moab, $599 firecat

    hoyt: $800 and up alphamax 32 or 35 , $800 and up hoyt 373

    mathews: $700 range switchback xt, $800 range drenilin, $800 range dxt.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    15,106
    I am still looking...... I have had a few good ones, but the "best" is still out there!
    Alpine Fireball F1

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Winona, MN
    Posts
    78
    I am not going to tell you to go out and buy one bow over another. However, what i will tell you that as a starting hunter, you may want to stay away from some of the new "speed" bows out there with a short brace height. I have seen many new hunters struggle with bows with a short brace height simply because they may be harder to hold steady and shoot accurately. Of course, this is nothing that a bunch of practice wont fix, but I have seen inexperienced hunters get discouraged way to soon for this reason....just a thought. I always like to see newer shooters have at least a 6.5 inch brace height.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dudley Mass
    Posts
    537
    Do yourself a favor and look into parker. you probly havent heard much about them because they dont jack up the prices of great bows to pay for advertisments. They make great entry to mid level bows and im sure they make one youll like.
    Bowtech Assassin, QAD rest, Black Gold, Octane Stabilizer
    Easton arrows, Muzzy MX4s,Onestringer Custom Wraps

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,736
    If you should decide to skip the entry level bow and go for the best - make it the Mathews Prestige. This is simply the finest all around bow ever built by any company. It is the perfect bow for any archery discipline. Lots of speed for the shorter draw archers and a firm wall that makes it hold like a rock. It just plain hits where you point it.

    Light in the hand, it is the perfect hunting stick and for target/3D. You can add weight wherever you wish to get balance right for spot shooting. It has an amazingly smooth draw for a high performance bow. As a Mathews elite bow, it will hold its value better than other brands.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    THE Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,464
    Best all around, non entry or mid level, versitile bow. Hunting or 3D.

    I have to go with Mathews S2. Most under rated bow of 2008.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monroe County Ohio
    Posts
    266
    Ford/Chevy/ Dodge debate.

    One will always choose what one does after research and some evaluation - and then be satisfied with it and then they brag on it.

    For me it is a PSE

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monroe County Ohio
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw View Post
    If you should decide to skip the entry level bow and go for the best - make it the Mathews Prestige. This is simply the finest all around bow ever built by any company. It is the perfect bow for any archery discipline. Lots of speed for the shorter draw archers and a firm wall that makes it hold like a rock. It just plain hits where you point it.

    Light in the hand, it is the perfect hunting stick and for target/3D. You can add weight wherever you wish to get balance right for spot shooting. It has an amazingly smooth draw for a high performance bow. As a Mathews elite bow, it will hold its value better than other brands.
    6 inch brace - not the best

    3.9 weight - most bows are 4 pound give or take ounces . ounces no big deal

  22. #22
    It's discontinued but you can still buy a new Bowtech Tribute. That bow is good for every discipline and will ALWAYS be sought after used. That said, I know it'll hold it's value for you.

  23. #23
    It's discontinued, but you can still buy a new Bowtech Tribute. That bow is good for every discipline and will ALWAYS be sought after used. That said, I know it'll hold it's value for you.

  24. #24
    It's discontinued, but you can still buy a new Bowtech Tribute. That bow is good for every discipline and will ALWAYS be sought after used. That said, I know it'll hold it's value for you.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Newcastle Ne
    Posts
    72
    Mission,reflex and bear make good midlevel bows,martin and parker do as well. Ive always steered clear of the bowtechs.but you mite like them,the used ones are cheap but there are dependability factors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTT Fred Bear Code with RTS package for PSE bow madness bow, Matthews bow, or Bowtech
    By deer expert in forum Misc. Items Only Want to buy or trade? WTB or WTT. Please use new item specific forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
  3. 2 - SKB Hard Shell Bow Cases - 1 Double Bow Case - 1 Small Single Bow Case
    By Quickdraw in forum Accessories and General Hunting Items
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •