a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Arrows for outdoor target shooting

Arrows for outdoor target shooting

I'm thinking of getting into an local outdoor target league this summer. It's an NFAA style marked distance, up hills--down hills, etc. Up to 70 meters, I think. I've shot 3D for a while but have never played this particular game. What kind of arrows should I be looking at (I need to do this on a budget, if possible). Suggestions on weights for nibs also be appreciated. I'll be shooting 58 to 60 lb @ 60% letoff on a fury-x with a 28" draw.

Thanx,
    Trail

Where at, which club, in WI you shooting this round?

Lots of choices for arrows depending on your preferences and price range. I'm familiar with the Easton line of arrows, in which case I'd suggest something like a Lightspeed if looking for an all carbon arrow or an ACC if looking for a composite aluminum/carbon. Lightspeeds would be the less expensive alternative. I know a couple guys using them for NFAA field and they've been working pretty well for them. ACC's are really good as well, imo - quite durable, little more money, little heavier than the Lightspeeds but not an issue on a marked field course (heavy enough though that if you envision using the arrows also for 3D and you like speed, may not be the top choice as an all-purpose). If you want to jump up a little higher in price there are the Navigators. Also an excellent arrow, carbon/aluminum composite like the ACC's but a little lighter and smaller diameter than a comparably spined ACC. Also cost about $50 more. Couple choices I would consider anyhow.

As far as what size, depends on what arrow length you plan on shooting. With a 28" draw, guessing you will probably be right on the edge of being able to shoot either a 400 or 500 spine Lightspeed, a 3-28 or 3-39 ACC, and a 480 Navigator. Just guessing though.

Hope any of this helps. Enjoy, nothing like a good field round .

>>------>

i am thinking of trying the new entrada from goldtip for outdoor 3d or even field shoots if i decide to try one lol. more of the hunter than a field shooter. was told the entradas would make a good solid 3d and can be handled with as small as 5.7 grains per for the 600's which i would think you would want for field shoots with lighter lbs. and 3d will also be good. also the new fat shafts from pse might be a good one to look at
    rob k

CHPro,
    They run this league at Farmer's and Sportsman's in Sheboygan. I've never shot the course, so can't say much about it. I think they run it on Tues. nights.

SB

Thumbs up

easton lightspeed 500 with 90 gr. pdp point. dont cut them to short. about 1''
    ahead of the rest

Gold Tip has a great product. They have something to cover just about anything...stay with the Pro series...

Steve

Trail, Farmers has a great field course. Good practice with some really nice uphill and downhill shots (50yd target is one of my favorites ). You will be shooting out to 80yd (only 1 arrow at that distance though) if you are shooting their field league. If only planning on using the arrows for field shooting I'd still recommend something like an ACC w/ 100gr points. Lightspeeds would make a really good arrow that you could also use for 3D.

Have fun. Footsteps here on AT shoots out at Farmers frequently as well. I think there are a couple others here on AT that shoot the field league at Farmers as well. Should have a good time.

>>--------->