Thread: Best Tent for elk hunting?

Best Tent for elk hunting?

Me and some guys are going elk hunting this Sept. and are wondering what tent to get since we will be packing in any suggestions?

There may be more options then recommendations. I have two set up that I use. If I will be doing allot of traveling by foot alone and the weather will be good, I use an Eagle Nest hammock with bug net and rain fly. It is very light and packs small.

If I expect some bad weather and want a spike camp style set up I use my Pinnacle Pass II. Both have served me well.

Hope this help.
    Strothers SX-1

Thanks Ray We will be setting up a spike type of camp

I dont know how many supplies you will be packing in but there is a teepee type tent made by kifaru and titanium goat. These are lightweight and very packable and can accommodate a collapsable and packable wood stove too. Just a thought in case you are in an area that will require some decent shelter. Our hutning group is considering one for this season.
    Hoyt AM32, Ripcord, Black Gold Flashpoint

Two cannibals were eating a clown.... one says to the other.. "Does this taste funny to you?"

Death occurs by the repeated intake of small quantities of oxygen on a daily basis

I use the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 12 person with vestibules. Has served me well - in hail, wind, and heavy snow.

If you're packing in with everything on your back then weight will be an issue. Or are you talking about a base type camp?
    As far as single tents there are some good ones like:
    * Hilleberg tents
    * Big Agness
    * Kifaru
    These are just a few suggestions or you can go with bivy type set ups (less weight), it just depends what you guys have in mind. Make sure you also have a good quality pack system this can make or break a hunt imo.
    Check out Cameron Hanes website he does DIY hunts and gives tactful suggestion on gear also.

Good luck and have a goodun
    G
    Archery legend Glenn St. Charles, thank you!

Thumbs up a1hoyt.ca

One where are you going elk hunting. If you are looking to hunt out of a base camp style I recommend a canvas wall tent because if the weather turns bad you can put a stove in it and stay very comfortable and cots fit very well. If you are going on a backpack style hunt I recommend a very light setup. If you are going to cary your camp on your back every day I suggest you go to rei or a mountain smith store type to get the lightest gear possible. Get your self Cameron Hanes book Back Country bowhunting it has a lot of great info in it and gear to and a list of what you need no B.S. this is the real deal. Also if you and your buddies can share the load you can desinate who carries what. Another great book would be Elk Hunting The West the Eastmans way. You and your buddies cant go wrong by checking these to titles out. Good luck on your Elk hunt.

We will be packing it all in on our backs then setting up camp at a set location and then take off hunting for the day. The camp will stay in one spot for the week.(Or thats what we are planning on)

Eureka is what I use down here ,
    I'm sure that they would have a model for what your needing..
    Check campmor.com
    and eureka tents.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShootToKill10 View Post
    We will be packing it all in on our backs then setting up camp at a set location and then take off hunting for the day. The camp will stay in one spot for the week.(Or thats what we are planning on)
    I would never spend this much on a tent just for myself, but if you and your buddies plan on doing this frequently and all pitch in, take a look at the Kifaru Tipi's. Or you can each go out and pick out your own bivy's.

GoLite

check out their single wall shelters
    http://www.golite.com/product/Produc....aspx?mc=6&s=2

very light and roomy will take all the weather the Rockies can dish out.
    I've been using a Hex 3(SHANGRI-LA 3 ) for a few years now..

great tent
    Last edited by kiser; February 10th, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Hurry, before we come to our senses...