Archery Talk Forum banner

best broadhead for bear

1K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  JerseyGTI337 
#1 ·
i know i am opening a subject that can go on forever but i need some opinions i shoot a hoyt bow just under around 58lbs 28inch draw lengh i amusing grim reapers for deer but i think i need to try fixed blade for bear someone recommended slicktricks. thanks Steve

#2 ·
I only use fixed so I am one sided. I like to use what works:wink: And alot of people love the slicktricks

#5 ·
Slick Tricks are deadly here in AK. The big boy in my avatar fell to the 100 Mag. Still, I think most deer setups will kill a black bear nicely. Not a mech fan for bears, but that's a personal choice.

#7 ·
I own and have guided archery bearhunters for 32 + yrs and have seen all types of BH's .good ones Grim reapers slick trick rage strikers muzzy if they fly thunderheads Bad ones Teken spitfire I have had more loses with these 2 heads then any other.

#14 ·
:thumbs_upthe best

#15 ·
You can use your reapers for bear. I've shot a few with a couple different heads, a 100gr wasp, 100 gr Silver Flame, and a 100 gr Reaper.

The Silver Flame went thru like a hot knife thru butter, but didn't make a big hole w/ only the 2 blades on it. The blood trail wasn't the best because of this. The worst part was since the arrow went thru so fast, it went into the ground and snapped the broadhead off in the dirt somewhere that I never did find it.

The Reaper did the best job, made the biggest hole and had the easiest blood trail. Now, I know it all depends on shot placement, angle and other things on how the blood trail works out. But in my opinion, you want to make as big a hole possible because it takes a while for that blood to start working down all that thick hair.

#16 ·
I've killed bears with a Thunderhead 125 on a 2413 w/ 3-5" feathers and they flew great. The last bear I killed was in '05 and I used a Steelforce Sabertooth. I was shooting a 59# bow @ 28" and it went all the through and stuck in a tree root under the pine needles. I normally shoot Rocket Sidewinders for deer, but always go to a fixed blade head for bears. I need to go bear huntin' again.... Dan-O

#17 ·
G5 Strikers (or Montecs if you can get them sharp) are great for tough critters.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.