Thread: How does temperature affect your bow?

How does temperature affect your bow?

I'm trying out a new Bowtech Captain (with a Sentinel on order). It is a lights out shooter! I can't believe the speed without any hand shock.

My problem is that I go straight from work to my indoor leagues so my bow has to sit in a cold Pennsylvania car all day. I swear that my bow shoots 3-4" high at 30 yards out of the box. So I adjust my sights. 10-targets in to an indoor 3D round, I'm shooting 5-yards off (low).

I have never had that much of an extreme before. Is that a new 'Center Pivot' or 'Parallel Limb' problem?

Thanks!
    John
    ---------------------------------------------------
    60X Custom Strings and Cables
    www.60xCustomStrings.com

I don't know, but my Commander does the same thing. I was thinking it was string related because in the extreme cold, my cables don't contact the module stops at the same time. When it's warm it's fine.

Same problem...

My "ex" Drenalin LD did the same thing. It had the slim limbs and I thought they were the problem. My Hoyts don't do it. Maybe th Zebra string?

cold

I got a SB XT,and a couple years ago,I went hunting where it was in the single digits for a week.My XT shot a good 6-8 inches low at 20.I had a new,well broke in custom string.I think limbs/strings don't flex,move,the same in the cold.just my .02.

Cold Limbs = OFF

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull94 View Post
    I got a SB XT,and a couple years ago,I went hunting where it was in the single digits for a week.My XT shot a good 6-8 inches low at 20.I had a new,well broke in custom string.I think limbs/strings don't flex,move,the same in the cold.just my .02.
    I'm with you... I think it will affect all bows differently but I think that for my Captain, the cold stiffens the limbs and they shoot higher initially and wear back down. I have shot lots of bows in lots of different weather and never had it effected my bow like this.

Perhaps the Bowtech Center Pivot and the extra metal affects the shot since the metal shrinks/expands more (since there is more metal).
    ---------------------------------------------------
    60X Custom Strings and Cables
    www.60xCustomStrings.com

My shot varies a little with the temps. I shoot an 06' Diamond Liberty. It did with my Tribute and Equalizer too. I notice it mostly when the bows been in the AC (house) and I go out to shoot it 90 degree or more weather. I keep the house like a meat locker in the summer though.

i live in northern minnesota (negative temps most the winter), my bow lives in my truck. when i go shoot league i usually let it warm up about 15-20 mins before i shoot it, and it shoots just fine.
    '13 PSE DNA28" 60# SKULZ CAMO, '11 PSE Supra 28" 60# BLACK , Proud Member of the PSE MILITIA