a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Martin Jaguar Take down.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153

    Talking Martin Jaguar Take down.

    I am thinking of purchasing the Martin Jaguar Takedown (sadly) as my next hunting bow. (I want something under 350$ because I am not made of money)I was just wondering, do you think that this looks like a good bow? I hear people keep talking about deflex and reflex and blah, blah, blah. I just want to know if this is really a good bow or if I would be better off with a grizzly or supermag 48 recurve bow from Bear. Please help me!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    10,300
    If you don't have a lot of money, you may be better served to learn about the differences between traditional bows before you buy one.
    ...evil comes right off with a little paint thinner.
    - mattawamkeag

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,948
    For 350 dollars you can do well with a good used bow.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    336
    I think thats what he's going for here


    If I was you I'd search the forums here and on tradgang.com. I think generally you learn enough to make your own decisions from being a fly on the wall so to speak. Lots of good useful information out there. Also with limited funds don't rule out a good used bow from the classifieds. That will allow you to get higher quality for less green. Good luck!
    Meat eater: Hoyt Katera XL, 29" 70lb, spot hogg 7DP, trophy taker, Axis 350, Montec.

    Humble Pie: Tradtech Titan, SF Glass/Foam ~40lb@28. Axis 500, 75 gr. inserts with 125gr heads.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    10,300
    I think thats what he's going for here
    Ya think?
    ...evil comes right off with a little paint thinner.
    - mattawamkeag

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,948

    Quote Originally Posted by kraven View Post
    Ya think?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by kraven View Post
    If you don't have a lot of money, you may be better served to learn about the differences between traditional bows before you buy one.
    I know about the differences between traditional bows! You don't have to be a jerk about it! I am just looking for a good shooting bow that I can hunt with. I don't want to get some 600$ bow that I will just put on a rack and stare at because it is too pretty to shoot!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Darton01 View Post
    Yeah! You guys are HILLARIOUS!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,948
    Hold on ,nobody is making fun of you.We are trying to help.Well I was trying to help,but not anymore.Good luck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153
    I guess I took it the wrong way. Sorry guys. I should watch what I say. Don't hate me too much.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    10,300
    Nobody's hating on you, Parkie.

    What I'm trying to stress is that you should consider the variables before you buy.
    There are a LOT of opinions about what constitutes a good traditional bow.
    I'm suggesting that you take the time to learn what kind of bow you need to do the type of shooting and hunting you want to do. In other words, put your money back in your pocket and read up on bows.
    Look before you leap. Satisfy yourself, rather than rely on 2nd hand knowledge.
    Obviously, the bow you're looking at is a nice bow. It's lightweight for a takedown, can be fitted with a broad array of sights, and can be fitted with various types of limbs at various draw weights.

    In my personal opinion, you could do worse. However, since you've stressed economics as a factor, I would remind you that even after you buy it you'll still likely need another 100 bucks in accessories unless you want to shoot it without sights. So, you should review your budget and spend wisely.

    However, if you must buy one, you could do worse.
    ...evil comes right off with a little paint thinner.
    - mattawamkeag

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153
    Okay. I understand now. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    480
    I can't tell for sure if it's going to be a really good bow or not, but I know that I have one on order that only cost me $120.00 plus tax. For that price I believe I can afford to take the chance. I haven't seen one in person but I like the looks of them in the catalog, and I think Martin probably can be trusted to make a decent product. They won't be available until March.
    I also know that it's harder to find a good used bow than people say. I am leary of buying online because you don't get to see what your buying and you can't be sure about who your dealing with.
    I say if you like what you see you should give it a try. I am.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A place in Northern Utah.
    Posts
    3,153
    I agree with your point about buying used bows. I just don't like the fact that most used ones have scratches and scuffs. I have seen one though on ebay that I really like. It is a Fred Bear Grizzly. There is only one problem though, it is a left hand. So I guess I'll see.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mercersburg
    Posts
    742
    you can buy the bow for $135

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Ted View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing the Martin Jaguar Takedown (sadly) as my next hunting bow. (I want something under 350$ because I am not made of money)I was just wondering, do you think that this looks like a good bow? I hear people keep talking about deflex and reflex and blah, blah, blah. I just want to know if this is really a good bow or if I would be better off with a grizzly or supermag 48 recurve bow from Bear. Please help me!



    Ugly as sin but I'm surprised at this bow... I don't think you can really go wrong with it.

    Much Aloha...

  17. #17

    $120 for a 40# Jaguar

    Hello everyone, I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I bought a Jaguar tonight for $120 + s/h = 134.94 brand new from Keystone Country Store. I have under 5 posts so I can't post the link but just google Keystone Country Store and you should find it. I heard that this is a cool bow and I figured I couldn't really go wrong with a Martin at that price. Cheers!

    By the way does anyone know a good arrow combination for this bow in both the 40# and 50#?

  18. #18
    greatttttt

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    585
    G'Mornining Not Ted, The Jag is an awesome bow depending on where you get it. I was able to actually touch and shoot mine before buying. You've been around long enough to have read all the opinions and seen all the photos posted. I would have to guess that the worst part about buying the Jag is having to wait for it and not knowing what kind of condition it will be in on arrival.

    If you are handy and the problems are minor then in a short time you will have a great hunting bow. It's tough and does handle the time spent in the woods well. Once tuned it will shoot cosistant. My only problem with it while hunting was actually what I call the "deer factor". First time drawing back on a deer with a trad bow and I went stupid...The bow shot beautifully both before and after. It is a good hunting bow...IMO.

    Unfortunetly due to a change in job status (I have joined the ranks of the barely employed) and no lack of bills I had to sell mine. I will, however, buy another one when times get a little better and it will be set up for the hunt.
    -=Mark

    "In the end, when I can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark its flight; when alas, I possess only the spirit of the Hunter, I will hunt...if only in my dreams...because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and I...I am the Hunter" ~Peter C. Iacavazzi~

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    185
    I recieved this bow for Christmas just getting back into the sport and I love it. I wish I could shoot as well as the bow, I am working on that. Check out the book Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera. He is also a memember of AT. Just reading the first couple of chapters has already made a big difference in my shooting.

  21. #21
    I have been shooting a Jaguar for about a week. 50# limbs that I am switching to 30# to develop better technique as a beginner after some bad advice from some compound friends who talked me into the heavier bow to start with so I could hunt with it. It shoots great, is well finished and has zero problems in it's level of quality. I want to eventually hunt but am most interested in good technique. I got mine thru Cabela's for 149.95 and they did everything to get me started with the correct length and spined arrows, etc... I also agree with warrenpeace that "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera is a great source. Really does a great job of explaining all facets of traditional archery theory and practice.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ottawa ont canada
    Posts
    3,839
    theres been previous threads on this bow seems to be a nightmare in the quality aspect.. buy a good used bow from e-bay or a hoyt excel riser and some limbs and spend only 350 or so and have a real shooter and no work required to assemble .. just put together and shoot..

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Ted View Post
    I know about the differences between traditional bows! You don't have to be a jerk about it! I am just looking for a good shooting bow that I can hunt with. I don't want to get some 600$ bow that I will just put on a rack and stare at because it is too pretty to shoot!
    As far as inexpensive bows go, I can't find a better bow for the price than the Jaguar. It's ugly as sin, some have had problems with limbs coming apart and I've been lucky and just waiting for the hammer to fall, but I've been very appreciative of the bow for what $119 or $139 don't remember now, only that its got several thousand arrows across the shelf.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    KANSAS-Big Buck Country
    Posts
    2,008
    It's worth the money, a well shooting recurve.
    Mathews Switchback XT

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    From Zacatecas, Mexico to Wheaton,IL
    Posts
    1,076
    If you like wood bows look at the samick sage. Or if your interested in competition the Hoyt Excel riser with KAP limbs seems a good deal. it will put you about $100 over the Jaguar´s price but its a better overall bow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. martin Jaguar Take-Down
    By mjandy in forum Traditional Archery
    Replies: 239
    Last Post: March 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
  2. Martin Jaguar
    By markX in forum Traditional Gear For Sale or Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 4th, 2010, 12:42 AM
  3. 02 Martin Phantom Elite or 06 Martin Jaguar
    By cayuga in forum ArcheryTalk Women
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
  4. Martin Jaguar
    By nemo in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •