Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeders.... Do they scare deer or really work??

Question Feeders.... Do they scare deer or really work??

got a question that i have been wondering. got a few really good spots to hunt this year and thought of putting some feeders on them. i have been told that big bucks know feeders are not natural, and avoid them. what do you think, do they work with all deer, or just some doe and fawn. i know some people have got pics of big bucks at feeders, but i am wanting to hear all sides to the spectrum on this before i put out a feeder.

jason

Quote Originally Posted by jason smith View Post
    got a question that i have been wondering. got a few really good spots to hunt this year and thought of putting some feeders on them. i have been told that big bucks know feeders are not natural, and avoid them. what do you think, do they work with all deer, or just some doe and fawn. i know some people have got pics of big bucks at feeders, but i am wanting to hear all sides to the spectrum on this before i put out a feeder.

jason
    IMO the sound of a feeder attracts deer, not to sure as to whether or not big bucks avoid them though
    13 PSE Drive 72# 29"
    HHA/Trophy Taker/NAP/Scott/Deer Crossing Archery

I use a feeder to attract turkeys to our property and the deer are teriffied of it. The deer just look at it and run.
    SIXX STRINGS Hunting Staff
    What the heck is a FOB? www.starrflight.com/
    Dead Eye Supply www.deadeyesupply.com
    Bag-R-Buck www.bagrbuck.com

I use a feeders during the summer and stop it a couple of weeks before season. I have had lots of trailcam pics of deer including big boys around both spin and trough feeders. They take a little while to get used to it, but they can't stay away from the golden acorns

Thumbs up !!

i have about 3 spin feeders and do not want them just sitting around this year, how ever, i have used them in the past, got pics of bucks at them, but have a GOLDEN new spot where activity is already a pleanty, and wanted to put out a feeder to keep them on this same path through the year. .... just did not want to screw up the activity. thought of just making a gravity feeder out of pvc pipe, that way there is n o noise. still not too sure.

jason

Feeders don't scare deer. I've keep my feeder out all year. When it goes off it wouldn't be 5 mins and the deer start showing up. The deer love the feed so much that its like feeding cows, cause very time i go and fill it up the deer will follow the 4-wheeler all the way to the feeder and stand about 30 yards away from me and wait till i get done filling it up. I put a mixer of feed like sunflower seeds,wheat feed and shelled corn. it works great for deer, turkeys and dove. I put that mixer in my feeder year round.

Make sure you get the "nocturnal nightmare". Anyone else see that add? BARF!!!

On our place in east texas, it has taken the deer two years to become comfortable with feeders. They tend to avoid them at first, but become more used to them as time goes on. Sometimes it takes a month, sometimes it takes a couple of years, but they will get used to feeders. After years of consistent feeding and never letting the feeders run dry, the sound of a feeder going off can attract deer immediately. Feeders attract more does than bucks, but then again, don't you want to be where the does are during the rut?
    East Texas Hog Hunts
    Free Range
    Meals / Lodging

PM For Info

Quote Originally Posted by saskguy View Post
    Make sure you get the "nocturnal nightmare". Anyone else see that add? BARF!!!
    What happens to your feed if it rains?
    East Texas Hog Hunts
    Free Range
    Meals / Lodging

PM For Info

I have used feeders for years and they do attract deer, mostly does and small bucks. However, I did see a 3 1/2 year old buck at one feeder last year. On the down side the deer that come into them are extremely cautious. They also tend to attract bear to the area which the deer don't care for.
    No! I am not crazy! I'm an archer!
    PSE Bow Madness XL
    QAD Ultra HD
    http://www.bowdiscount.com

These pics are from 2 days after I put this new feeder out!

They def. aren't scared of them in Oklahoma!
    '11 Bowtech D350 - HHA-DSXL5519 - StokerizedSS1 - NAP - G5 CS Montecs
    07' Guardian - G5 XR2 - Posten - Easton Axis FMJ 340 - 100 gr. CS Montecs - Quad HD

Thumbs up ?

what if the is already deer activity going on. should there be any thing done or not. i am stumped. they are going through the area, but i wanted to plant a small plot and put a feeder just to ensure constant pass through of deer so when season comes in they should be used to it and feeding daily. just do not want to try to fix something thats not broken.

jason

Thumbs up !!

nice pics. did they keep coming in to the feeder?

i have been told that big bucks know feeders are not natural, and avoid them.
    jason
    Deer don't have the reasoning ability to distinguish whether or not something is "natural". They can tell if something is "new", but they get used to it quickly. However, mature bucks avoiding the area will have more to do with the increase of human scent and activity during the daytime.
    This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

jason
    I have had many deer stand there under the feeder and wait for it to go off and when it goes off they dont even flinch they just begin eating. No way feeders scare deer

Quote Originally Posted by ShootToKill10 View Post
    I have had many deer stand there under the feeder and wait for it to go off and when it goes off they dont even flinch they just begin eating. No way feeders scare deer
    I've seen it go both ways. Some deer run away and some deer run twards it. Haven't seen any big bucks near them or on camera but I don't hunt over them anyway. I don't think I'd put one out in a new spot till after I hunted it for a season. If they are already there I'd try something less invasive at first. Any feeder that is availible 24 hours usually will not increase sightings during hunting hours and will be costly to keep full. Best going with a timed feeder if you do.

Feeders scare me sometimes when I forget about them. As long as I don't jump and fall out my stand I end up laughing at myself.....
    Last edited by Red Fletch; February 20th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

i think it depends on the area, habitat, and time of year. There is a place I used to hunt that the guy fed the deer in his back yard. There would be big bucks there most of the year feeding. But once the bucks started shedding velvet and acorns start dropping most of the mature bucks left until snow fall (3 monthes or so). If deer have natural feed they most likely won't visit the site. Especially the big bucks since they are more spooked by human scent of course you'r going to have that when you have to go out and fill the feeder. Of course if you live in Texas or somewhere where there isn't a lot of natural feed I would think there would be more of reason for all types of deer to stay around the feeder. You gotta eat to live.
    "Suprised!!! I wouldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet."

PVC feeders will need to be filled more often. If you don't hunt right on top of your feeders and find a good trail between it and bedding areas it will work. It does take time for them to get use to it. We use feeders but don't hunt right on top of them. Most of the pics of the bigger bucks we have are at night at the feeder. It's a good idea to let it run and stay away until the rut...the does will be hitting the feeder with no pressure and the bucks will be looking for the ladies. I would use what you have and see if it works for you.
    Jeff Bottoms
    Tines and Spurs Outfitters
    620-515-4519
    tinesandspurs@yahoo.com
    www.tinesandspursoutfitters.com

Until it became illegal in our state this year, I had a feeder out at all times of the year with a trail camera setup near by. I found that I had every deer you can imagine coming into feed with most of the buck activity after dark. I never did try hunting close to the feeder but I'm sure it would work. I never saw any negative responses from it.
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

feeder

I have a feeder 90 yards behind my house . Can set on back deck and almost set my watch with the deer and turkey showing up within a couple of minutes before the feeder goes off. Also have saw some nice bucks at the feeder. Definetly not scared of it here.

nice pics. did they keep coming in to the feeder?
    Are you kidding? I couldn't keep the feeders full! They killed the corn up until my pockets were empty. Tore it all to hell. And as you can see, I put that feeder up 15 days into bow season!
    07' Guardian - G5 XR2 - Posten - Easton Axis FMJ 340 - 100 gr. CS Montecs - Quad HD

Just to show you, the big bucks come to the feeders too. That 8 point is 3.5. And I have pics of a monster 14 point that I had two encounters with in November. It's early December and he's just munchin away under that same feeder.

Up until this year i hunted over and around feeders [feeding ban in lower MI]. They bring in allot of does and small bucks in my area and when the rut comes guess what follows those does in.
    Michigan Meat Hunter "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
    Scorpyd Vent -150, Excal Matrix 330
    Michigan Crossbow Federation Member, AND PROUD OF IT!!

In my experience, the deer didn't come near it. I had a bunch of pictures of a sow and her two cubs and a couple pictures of a fawn at the feeder but absolutely no mature deer came to the feeder during that months time. The moment I put corn on the ground, I got over 1500 pictures in a weeks time. I had no luck with the feeder.
    Lancaster Archery Supply - ProLine Bowstrings - Doinker Stabilizers

Prime Alloy - G5 Optix XR2 - QAD Ultra HDX - GT Hunters - G5 T3 / Strikers

Three P&Y's this year by me and my partners at our place in Texas, all at feeders (low fence). Say what you want about feeders, but the bucks are definitely not scared of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast