Thread: How to get a job in the archery/hunting industry!

How to get a job in the archery/hunting industry!

I was sitting around doing homework for my finance class today and realized I do NOT want to work for a large corporation and would be much more happy and satisfied by working in the archery/hunting industry. I am graduating with a degree in Finance/Marketing and Professional Sales in June and already have a decent job lined up with a huge company in Ohio. But.... archery is my passion and being a financial analyst is not. So my question is........how does one get involved in the archery/hunting industry to get a foot in the door and work for a company? I'm only 22 and know I would be much more happy if I were to do something I love rather than something that just pays the bills. I've read through the "what is your profession" thread and was intrigued by how many people made a living through this industry. Any tips or advice on how I might get a foot in the door? I'm sure I won't survive a 9-5 crunching numbers in Excel all day....Thanks.

I am in the same boat you are, graduating with a degree in organizational management and want nothing to do with a big corporation job, I would love to work for any hunting related company... so I will be watching this thread closely!
    Mathews Z7 Magnum, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, Doinker, Vapor Trail Strings, GT Pro Hunters, Slick Tricks and a Chevy

I think a lot of it is someone with a good idea who has the time and money to invest in it. So maybe being an entrepreneur is the best way to start, but who knows? I'm thinking of good ideas as we speak.........

when you guys figure it out let me know! It helps to know people though.
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by SET THE HOOK View Post
    when you guys figure it out let me know! It helps to know people though.
    Yes, networking could definitely be a key success factor!

Work as a guide- You won't be another guy sitting around talking about what people want in meetings. You'll know. And, you'll have more experience with field use than anyone. This doesn't pay real great, but it isn't sitting in a veal cage (cubicle) waiting on your vertebral discs to bulge from the stress and put you out of hunting for good.
    Move out of Ohio and see more of the world- It'll make you more rounded and not just another midwesterner with a goatee and a bow. Consider Alaska and Africa in addition to places like Texas and Quebec, if you want to stay on the continent. Europe and the Pacific rim Nations also offer cool opportunities.

Education + experience is how you get the best jobs. You have education and now you need experience to go with it.
    While you're working in the hunting industry, you can keep your educational skills current and improved by doing bookkeeping and business functions for your employer.

I think you're on the right track. Working for the man sucks.
    ...evil comes right off with a little paint thinner.
    - mattawamkeag

working for a large corporation today might have its benefits right now with our economy, job security. they will also give you the experience necessary that lots of companies are looking for. separating your hobbies from your work is something you have to decide. i would not say its impossible but if you know the right people you could get in or just look up the companies in the industry online and start applying otherwise its all about who you know. i would just be thankful you have a job with todays economy and job market.

I have daydreamed about working at a local archery shop. I would get to know a local archery shop and spend some time there maybe negotiate working on weekends or after hours free. Learn the trade in an apprenticeship/internship capacity and perhaps transition into your own shop or working at the shop if it works out. It is low risk and gets you a chance to see it for what it really is. I thought my current job was a dream job, but they all eventually become "a Job." Another avenue is throug your states game and fish department. Good luck.

Heck, just move north and homested. Or simply squat in some remote area. Hunting will be your method of survival.......

Actually, if I were 22 again and knowing what I know now I would try exactly that for awhile. I had nothing to lose back then. No family. No bills other than low interest, low payment college loans. No responsibility.

Be free, take risks and do whatever you fancy. Enjoy your youth 'cause once wife and kids come your world changes forever. Not that it is bad, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by aitpointer2 View Post
    working for a large corporation today might have its benefits right now with our economy, job security. they will also give you the experience necessary that lots of companies are looking for. separating your hobbies from your work is something you have to decide. i would not say its impossible but if you know the right people you could get in or just look up the companies in the industry online and start applying otherwise its all about who you know. i would just be thankful you have a job with todays economy and job market.
    you said it

Another thing I would do if I were 20 years younger is a lot of different things. I'd work in a bodyshop, in a resteraunt, in a factory, in a bakery, on an oil rig, in a state park, as an apprentice plumber, electrician, tinnocker, carpenter etc or whatever.

I have a degree in engineering and a professional license which has paid my bills plus a little more and I don't mind it most of the time. That said, I wish I would have taken more time to learn at least a little about a lot of different things along the way and had the guts (or the ignorance) to take risks back then.

Go West Young Man!!..

..move to Oregon...if I had it to do all over again...that's where I would be headed!!
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

Thanks for all the posts so far everyone. Definitely providing some motivation to think "outside of the box" and think of ways to make a living doing what I've come to love. I am very thankful to have my job offer right now with the terrible economy but I just can't imagine myself doing it for the rest of my life. I know I'm young now and have the ability to take risks and do as I please which is why I'm trying to find a job that at least relates to archery or hunting even if it doesn't pay that well. Well keep the advice coming because it seems I'm not the only one in this boat!

Quote Originally Posted by BowtechArch View Post
    Go West Young Man!!..

..move to Oregon...if I had it to do all over again...that's where I would be headed!!
    Really? Why is that? My girlfriends step dad lives in Bend, Oregon actually. I've been a couple of times and love it. Any reason I should head to Oregon?

I live half an hour away from bend....love living here in central oregon....with that being said the county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the whole country....Oregons unemployment rate is almost double the national average........Unless you could somehow get a job over at bowtech there is nothing to do in the archery business here.....

As some people have stated, Try different things while your young and before you are in debt.
    JBK Bowstrings Why shoot anything else? www.JBKStrings.com
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS

As others have mentioned it helps to know the right people. I worked in the hunting industry for about 5 years from 21 to 26. As others have also said at some point it becomes just another job and not as fun as you might think. One of the main problems is that you are extremely busy during the hunting season and will not get to hunt near as much as you do now. Another draw back is the fact that it does not pay very well as a whole. There are a select few jobs out there as a factory sales rep that you can make a good living at, but they are hard to come by and do not come available very often. My uncle is a principal in a rep group for Browning/Winchester in the south and every one of there reps has been there 12 plus years. If you are bound and determined to get into the industry, the best way would be to contact some of the major manufacturers and ask for the number to their rep group in your area. Once you get to know a few of your local reps, they will be able to let you know what is out there and who is hiring. Without knowing someone in the industry it is very tough, as most companies do not post job opening for sales rep jobs on the web, as they are so easy to fill by word of mouth. Good luck to you.
    Xpedition Archery Xplorer
    QAD Ultra HDX
    Spot Hogg SDP
    Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme
    Gold Tip Pro Hunter

Ohioshooter68, I was once young like you and had a real passion for golf. Played since I was 6, high school and college golf teams, etc. Have a degree in sociology and when I graduated from college decided I "couldn't work for a big corportation" either so I followed my dream and got into the Golf Business. Spent 12 years being a PGA club pro, managed the largest golf and tennis retail operation on the planet, and tried to make some money playing.
    After the first 6 months in the business I realized something just wasn't right???Hmmm? What could it be?? Kept trying different jobs within the "Golf Business" but was never happy. Finally after 12 years of frustration I figured it out....my hobby and passion had become work!!!!

After that I got a corporate job, started having kids and couldn't be happier. Guess what, playing golf became fun again.

I would take some of the advice on the previous posts and try a lot of different things for a few years. Don't settle down, get married etc. Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself and take time to explore life. In the meantime you may want to contact some of the big archery corporations and inquire about work there. If you can get hired by Matthews, Hoyt, Easton etc. you will be working a normal schedule, learning the business, and hopefully saving enough money to someday start your own shop.

Best of luck from a 59 year old. Live it up kid!!!

While you are waiting for responses from AT how about just mailing out some resumes to the HR departments of several archery companies and other hunting companies. I am sure that you could at least get an interview somewhere. Many company websites have job postings in which you can send in a resume directly from there. When I apply to online jobs I post on their website and physically mail in a resume and cover letter to the HR department, unless it says specifically not to mail anything in.
    Rhino
    California
    2007 X-Force HF6 / 2010 Moneymaker LF
    28"/53 lbs

Let me just give you a little warning. You say that hunting and archery are your passion. A sure way to get burned out in that passion is to turn it into a job. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

I will qualify my statements above. I too had a deep love for archery/bowhunting and turned this passion into a business, archery pro shop/range and thought this was the cherry on top of the sundae. But after being in business for 9 years and struggling to make ends meet while working 12 to 15 hours per day 7 days a week I realized that there was more to life and I wanted to hunt more than I got to with the shop. I sold the shop and have not regretted it one bit. I do miss working on equipment and meeting the people, but the time and money received for that time I do not miss. You may be a little different in what you want, but do realize that turning a passion and love for something into a job is not necessarily the best thing to do.
    2009 HCA Speed Pro
    29" 70# 7 Pin Cobra Sidewinder sight, Ripcord Rest, Cobra Impact Gel stabilizer, Chappy Boss Caliper, Custom Sling, Gold Tip XT Hunter's @ 28" & 560 grains!, Custom Yellow/Black Winners' Choice strings/cables. Custom tune by www.probowtune.com

WOW! The advice I'm getting is seriously priceless. I wanted to thank everyone for their responses as everyone has really great input on the subject. Keep it up!!

I am only 15, so I have about no work experience except for odd and end jobs here and there, but I completely agree with what people saying about how doing something you love to do turning into work. Think about your week long vacation or more if you were not in the hunting industry, hunting would be that much more of a leisure to you and wouldn't feel like more work. If you turned your passion into work, my opinion is you might be as happy in the long run. I am not trying to discourage you from doing what you love, just pointing this out there. Good luck making your decision!

I agree about checking website and emailing companies your resume.

with management and promotions if you have the personality then I would go for a rep job or something, I know that Mathews, PSE, Hoyt and at least Bowtech have full time reps for different areas of the contry, some are one state and others are several.

good luck and it is truely a fun industry to work in, the tough thing is if you are close with family and friends then the location you end up may not be ideal no matter how fun the job is. I know that My job was and still would be a dream job if I was still at it, but I had some family things I had to take care of. I am truely greatfull for the expirience that I had in the industry though because the network of friends is beyond my wildest dreams and the archery community is very close nit.

good luck again,
    jkeiffer
    If it Walks swims or flies,it Dies
    There are two types of Pro, Promotional and Professional
    Multiple bow brands including frankenbows (PSE, Athens and CSS)
    Authorized PSE Pro Series and Main line dealer