a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Vintage v.s. New bows?

Vintage v.s. New bows?

I have been seeing on eBay, at a lot of 30 to 50 year old bows (made in the 50's thru 70's). Some of them look as if they were never used. What are the differences in performance in new bows, with fast flight string, and the vintage bows with B50 strings? Are there any real advantages to buying a new bow v.s. an older used bow?(assuming of course that the vintage bow is "like new", no stress cracks, straight limbs,etc.). I can buy the same model Bear 4 months old or 40 years old. Whats the difference? And since I,m looking for opinions, whats your favorite old bow that's not made any more, and whats your favorite currently produced bow. Thanks.

What are the differences in performance in new bows, with fast flight string, and the vintage bows with B50 strings?
    Dacron vs. the ff materials won't usually mean a big increase in performance, but the FF materials have several other benefits that make them well worth the money. I'd use them even if they were a little slower than dacron. I like the reduced hand shock, reduced stretch and creep, and the increased durability. I don't know of any reason to not use a FF type string on a bow that's made to accept it.

Are there any real advantages to buying a new bow v.s. an older used bow?(assuming of course that the vintage bow is "like new", no stress cracks, straight limbs,etc.).
    New bows come with a warranty.

I can buy the same model Bear 4 months old or 40 years old. Whats the difference?
    Depends on what bows you are comparing, and the opinion of who you ask. I rarely shoot old bows anymore, but of the Bear bows I've shot I liked the old ones better than the new.

And since I,m looking for opinions, whats your favorite old bow that's not made any more, and whats your favorite currently produced bow.
    I don't really have a favorite old bow, but there's lots of good ones still around. Pearson, Bear, Shakespeare, Root, Wing....you might even get lucky and find an old Black Widow or Chek-Mate someone is willing to sell--those don't show up often though.

My current favorte is my Chek-Mate longbow--has been for several years--but there's lots of great bows on the market today.

Chad
    Support the Future of Archery--Support the NASP

I love the oldies! But you'll be hard pressed to find em without stress cracks, no biggie though

Hey Chad, is that the crusader you're talkin about? By the way, what ever happened to the Firebird? Wasn't that a Check-mate bow? It's in your trophy room. Anyway, I really like the old Bear Grizzly's and some of the Super Grizzly's. I like the turquois wood in certain ones. My favorite new bow is the Check-mate Raven.

I've helped a number of new bowhunters get into the sport over the last few years.
    We usualy go looking for (good condition) older gear.
    Not only can you find some great deals,but the old bows shoot just fine as well.
    For sentimental reasons my favourite older bows are by both Fred Bear and Ben Pearson,because they are the bows I started with and both gentlemen will forever be my personal hero's.
    My favourites of today are Hoyt and Samick.

Yep, I shoot the Crusader. The Firebird was discontinued a few years ago--CM had too many bows and not enough time to make them all. They have the wait time down to around 8 months now, working on getting down to around 6 hopefully.

Chad
    Support the Future of Archery--Support the NASP

WOO HOO! Six months! Hope it happens!

i too have been bitten by the nostalgia bug from time to time and have been tempted many times to bid on some of these "classic" bows on ebay but my main reason for doing so is being able to shoot the bow.....after a lot of thought and research, however, i have concluded that there is no "classic" bow that can outperform the current crop we have available.....so..unless it is for the pure pleasure of owning one i no longer have these temptations!!...............
    two x-factor(25") set-ups with sure-loc supreme/ quest-x /hoyt super rest,cavalier champion II rest,beiter plunger and clicker, soma cex2 29" rod, doinker chubby backweight,fomax damper,jager grips....70" 26# samick athlete limbs..68" 34# border HEX5-H mk2 limbs..32# 68" border CXG limbs...mckinney II 725 arrows...PLUS spigarelli explorer II barebow riser..

Jose -

Not so fast, my friend. The "out perform thing" is going to depend on the arena your talking about. If you're talking indoor spot targets, the "vintage" one piece target bows of the late 60's / early 70's really don't give up much, if anything, score wise to the new stuff, except for the limb tuning ability. Ditto for trad type casual shooting, trad 3D or hunting situations. The shots are just too close to show any real difference. As far as pure speed, most of the improvements came about because of lighter weight / low stretch strings and arrows. (The bow advances centered around building a bow that could tolorate them).

Once you get into outdoor FITA type or even field shooting, that's where the differences become clear. The absence of "wood" as a major component of the bows' construction and low stretch strings did wonders for stability at longer distances and in varying weather conditions, ditto for the ability to shoot lighter arrows. Even with that, it would take a fairly accomplished shooter to fully realize the diference.

In short, the odds are you will not see a wooden bow in the Olympics any time soon and the real benefit of high tech for "trad" shooters is, IMHO, questionable - for most anyway.

If you get a chance, by all means, pick up a Hoyt 5PM, Bear Tamerlane HC-300 or Wing P1 or 2. And please don't rule out the "pure enjoyment" part too quickly.

All the best, my friend.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

ok tony.... i concede that for indoor archery performance differences isn't that big a deal but i was really referring more on the outdoor distances......and besides if i let myself go i might end up with as many bows as you have!!........(not that that's a bad thing!!).......he he he!!..PS...i had a 37# wing presentation II and a 53# black widow hp1225 and everytme one of these comes up on ebay i just have to stop myself.......and i was lusting for a ben pearson signature takedown for a very long time too during my much younger days!!
    Last edited by jmvargas; March 2nd, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
    two x-factor(25") set-ups with sure-loc supreme/ quest-x /hoyt super rest,cavalier champion II rest,beiter plunger and clicker, soma cex2 29" rod, doinker chubby backweight,fomax damper,jager grips....70" 26# samick athlete limbs..68" 34# border HEX5-H mk2 limbs..32# 68" border CXG limbs...mckinney II 725 arrows...PLUS spigarelli explorer II barebow riser..

I agree, indoor shooting or even short range outdoor shooting, like 3-D at 35 yards and less, an old bow can keep up and be a pleasure to shoot. However, if you're trying to keep 'em on the target at 80 yard bare bow Field shooting, you'll probably want very light arrows and all the speed you can muster. That's where a new bow with FF string and light and skinny arrows come into their own, JMHO.

Other than a few new screamers most new bows don't out perform many of the old classics by enough to matter a whole bunch.

If you are just getting into it you can find a good old bow for a nice price and if you find you like Stick Bows you can invest in what you want later on. Randy