Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.R.E. or Century Truck caps ???

A.R.E. or Century Truck caps ???

Do you own one or the other and have you been happy with it? Need a shell and these two seem to nice for the money.

Century

Had a Century on our Tacoma Double Cab. Never had any problems out of it, except we had to reset it once every couple of years. That was just due to the fact that the bed rails were so narrow at the top on the Tacoma. Was a very clean looking shell that matched the contours of the truck really well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I was in the market.

ARE Cap

We have a top of the line ARE on a 2007 Toyota Tundra. Fit and finish is top notch!!! Never had an issue with the cap at all!! Would not hesitate to buy another!!
    2013 ROSS CRAVE DRT 33.5
    2014 ROSS HEADHUNTER, 2014 ROSS XD
    Prestige Archery shooting staff..HIPS Targets pro staff
    Black Eagle field staff..Carnivores for 3d and rampages for hunting
    ROSS Archery shooting staff..TREEZYN promotion staff

I have a Century and I like it. Like you said, good choice for the $$$.
    Genesis 27:3

I know Leer wasn't mentioned but i think it looks great on my 05 Tacoma double cab. Never had any type of problem with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw38 View Post
    I know Leer wasn't mentioned but i think it looks great on my 05 Tacoma double cab. Never had any type of problem with it.
    Sharp Rig! It does look great! I like the Leer, but the model I want from them runs between $1500-$1700 around here. The base ARE/Century's run $900-$950 with the options I want and the comparable base Leer runs about $1300. I know the Leer is very well built...I would love to buy the Leer Browing edition if I could....nicest cap on the market imo but I can't justify that kind of money. Any of the higher end caps with the frameless side windows look great.

Yea, they're not cheap. Good luck with whatever you get. The thing i like most about caps is that i load my Bow, hunting clothes all my hunting stuff the day before opening day. Keep it locked up and basically leave it in there until the last day. No more dragging cases and clothes in and out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw38 View Post
    Yea, they're not cheap. Good luck with whatever you get. The thing i like most about caps is that i load my Bow, hunting clothes all my hunting stuff the day before opening day. Keep it locked up and basically leave it in there until the last day. No more dragging cases and clothes in and out all the time.
    Same here...I travel almost every weekend in the fall for hunting, towing a quad as well. Need dry secure storage for the gear and a hard tonneau just won't cut it. I also travel a lot in the summer for camping etc, so lockable dry storage is necessary.

Why not a roll-up Tonneau? The one my dad got was around $420 installed and it keeps everything dry and you can put tall stuff in the back too if you need to.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing...Moderation is for cowards." Shane Patton, Lone Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie_Hunter View Post
    Why not a roll-up Tonneau? The one my dad got was around $420 installed and it keeps everything dry and you can put tall stuff in the back too if you need to.

I thought about it, have had them before. I want something lockable though and soft covers only give a false sense of security. I have looked at the solid flip covers, and the mechanical hard covers that roll up, but they all run $650-$900. I do like their versatility. However, this will be going on a crew cab Silverado and the bed is already short enough...a hard tonneau won't hold as much gear as a cap. I can get the cap for under $1000 so I think it represents a better value than a hard tonneau. I just need more room for gear (yeah, most days I feel I have too much crap!). In a month, 4 of us are doing a 3 day steelhead fishing trip up to my camp. 4 guys worth of gear, including rods, waders, coolers, fish fry goodies, etc, etc will likely fill the truck bed. I do have a nice landscape trailer for hauling items like yard supplies, lumber, or other large misc items so I won't miss the truck bed all that much for these things. I need it more for large lockable gear storage.

I have a A.R.E. on my truck. I've had it for ten years. It's held up great. The only issue I had is the color match. I have a white Dodge and A.R.E. could not match the color. I sent the gas door to the plant for them to match. It didn't help. The top is just a hair on the gray side.

I've got an ARE on my 1998 silverado and it still looks great after 11 years. I would definitely spend the extra money to get the windows on the side the can be tilted up to grab stuff deep in the bed of the truck, I believe ARE calls these windoors and they are worth every penny.
    Hoyt CRX32, black and camo
    Mathews DXT
    Mathews Reezen
    I love animals, they taste great!

Yeah, I'll find out what ARE charges for these today. I know other companies charge about $140 a side...so a $280 option. Pricey, but it certainly adds to the conveinance of the cap, no doubt.

I had an a.r.e tonneau cover on my truck when I bought it. Very nice covers, but I didnt want it on my truck. Its like new but its amazing how hard they are to sell. I have been trying for a year now to sell it but nobody is interested. They are nice though!
    Elite GT-500
    Select Archery
    http://www.selectarchery.com

caps

I sold truck equipment and the a.r.e. and the leer are the top of the line. the only difference is in the price! Don't buy a soft top they are junk!! And the roll tops are know to freeze shut in the winter and guys try to force them open and ruin them. If you are going to put a liner in [plastic] get an underbed liner with the top--seals better--and get the side windows on the top tinted if you can!!! [DARK 2%] helps with people looking in.

what I have

Is a very easy to remove hard cover.

Went that way so when I need the added height and or length, I can remove it by myself.

But yet it is strong enough for me to walk on and does not require and special care.

It is locking at both rear corners and is water tight.

It is made by Undercover.

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Not my truck, but mine is rigged the same with the bed liner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

I was looking for a NEW topper, which were all in the $1500-2000 range. Then I checked Craig's List locally........my goodness, you woudn't believe how many toppers were listed. I finally found a used Century in great shape for $300. It took me awhile to find the right one, because the F-350 Super Duties w/long bed taper towards the back, and are higher than a standard full-size topper. For $1200 savings, I couldn't be happier.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

I have been looking for used as well...but finding one for an 08 chevy crew has been difficult...only the new body style 07 and 08's fit it so the market is slim. Found one a different color but paint quotes ranged from $500-$700 to make it match so it wasn't worth it. I am looking however and agree it's a good idea!!

I looked at the Undercover Tonneaus...like them and they are a good value for the money, but I just need more room. $699 around here installed....the painted fiberglass units are $1200+.

Right now I'm trying to decide between a Leer LX or a A.R.E CX with the smooth window option. The Leer has the frameless door, but the A.R.E doesn't...though I can get carpet as well for the same price as the regular Leer. The Leer looks nicer, no doubt but I'm not sure how durable the frameless back windows are. Even the folks that sell them don't seem to think they are as strong as the uglier full frame doors and hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Fan View Post
    Found one a different color but paint quotes ranged from $500-$700 to make it match so it wasn't worth it.
    I agree........I found a white one. At least white actually doesn't look too bad with a different colored truck........and good thing because it's staying white. The only time I put it on is for hunting or traveling with the whole family, so I really don't care.

Here's a pic.
    Last edited by 5MilesBack; March 13th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.

Sorry....deleted the pic, forgot to edit it before posting.

topper

I have a snugg top sport with the rounded back glass and its tops, makes my crew cab chevy look like a suburban top of the line.
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong. "I will not be insulted, cussed or laid hands upon. I dont do these things to other people and I will not stand to have them done to me.” The DUKE. Athens Factory Staff Shooter, Terminal Velocity, Duravane, Sword, Red Feather Archery

I ordered a Century Royal yestarday...should be in next week sometime. They build em just don't the street from where I ordered it in Elkhart IN. It looks like Century and Leer are now under one roof (Truck Accessory Group LLC)....they are now offering basically the same products on some models, one with the Leer logo and one with the Century CTS logo. I'll report back after it's installed and give my impressions.
    Thanks for all the info and ideas!

I saw one of those Snugg Tops yesterday on a crew cab ford...very nice looking!

i have an ARE Z canopy that i got about a month ago. i love it, heard of some of them leaking but mine didn't even when i used the pressure washer to wash my rig. just got a Bedrug liner put in also. seems nice, too soon to tell for sure.

Those Z's are sharp looking!

Thumbs up

Have you checked out the Softoppers? I have one. I'll never go back to a hard shell again.

www.softopper.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast