Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yoke Tuning a Hoyt?

ACC3-49's at 27" and 60# -- your arrows are too stiff !!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibowpro View Post
    ACC3-49's at 27" and 60# -- your arrows are too stiff !!
    I actually thought they were a little on the weak side.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    I actually thought they were a little on the weak side.
    Reading through this one over time, I realized there's a lot of Cam lean theory out there. Oddly enough, of the Hoyt's I've owned, a pile, the only time I've needed to adjust cam lean, was with a static yoke. I can't say it ever affected my ability to tune the bow. Maybe just lucky.

I use 3-49's cut to 29" at 60lbs, from my Katera's. I need a 125gr tip to get the spine in line. Less weight up front and I cannot get straight nock entry. Same was true for my 60lb Turbotec.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

Xl

On the Vectrix XL I had 60LB 29 DL 3-39 cut to 28.5" with 100 gn. up front.
    Tuned fine with floating yoke.
    All the Hoyt bow I had have tune with ez as long as you had arrow spine right.

Weaker Spine Proponents???

I'm curious. Those of you that advocate going with a weaker spine, are you by-passing the recommendations of the On-Target software? When I run my specs through it, the 3-39's are not even listed. And my 3-49's are listed a little on the weak side. Are you suggesting I forget about the recommendations, and go with good ole experience?
    Also this would probably be a good time to define "tuned?" Tuned seems to be a broad subject for many archers. Please ellaborate....

I am curious about something.
    I have read through most of these posts about cam lean on Hoyts. I have a Hoyt on it's way, it will be my first Hoyt.
    I have set up two for a friend here lately. I noticed, on both of his,there is cam lean on the bottom cam. I assume that this is from the combination of the split limb design and the cables being pulled over by the cable guard.

Is there concern for this ? Is there steps that need to be taken to remove this bottom cam lean?
    The bows shoot fine. We don't paper tune our bows. We walk back tune them, so I have no idea if they shoot "bullet "holes in paper. They do shoot great groups at 70-80 meters.

Thanks for any help.

So I apparently got lucky with my AM32 it has been the easiest bow I have tuned ever. I have had a few Mathews that were nightmarish to tune. I had to settle for mechanicals with the Mathews not a good thing. When I bought my Hoyt I was concerned that I could not work on it myself I was wrong. I am just so so at working on bows but I can out tune my local bowshop guy in his defense he is busy. I can shoot whatever broadhead I want out of the Hoyt. I still like the Mathews but all tuning issues were my fault according to Mathews gurus. The AM32 helped me to gain a little more confidence in my equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by TN ARCHER View Post
    I am curious about something.
    I have read through most of these posts about cam lean on Hoyts. I have a Hoyt on it's way, it will be my first Hoyt.
    I have set up two for a friend here lately. I noticed, on both of his,there is cam lean on the bottom cam. I assume that this is from the combination of the split limb design and the cables being pulled over by the cable guard.

Is there concern for this ? Is there steps that need to be taken to remove this bottom cam lean?
    The bows shoot fine. We don't paper tune our bows. We walk back tune them, so I have no idea if they shoot "bullet "holes in paper. They do shoot great groups at 70-80 meters.

Thanks for any help.

TTT.

Quote Originally Posted by TN ARCHER View Post
    I noticed there is cam lean on the bottom cam. I assume that this is from the combination of the split limb design and the cables being pulled over by the cable guard.
    That's the reason. If you take a close look at lot's of bows, most will have even more lean than a Hoyt. It doesn't make any difference that I've ever been able to see.

If you have a limb that's really bad, the lean is scary at full draw. Most of the time it's a non-issue.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

Hi Everyone - I recently picked up a used 2007 Left Handed Hoyt Vectrix. When it arrived, it had the stock stings. No matter what I did, I had a slight tail left tear. I added new sting and cables with a static yoke. I adjusted the yoke so that the string was coming off the top cam perfectly centered. The bow now shoots perfect bullet holes with field tips and my broad heads. I walk back tuned and everything perfect.

I don't think the importance of a static yoke can be overstated for those of you having problems tuning the bow with a floating yoke.
    BDINPGH

Quote Originally Posted by bdinpgh View Post
    I don't think the importance of a static yoke can be overstated for those of you having problems tuning the bow with a floating yoke.
    Bingo!

Read this..

Link:

Read this..

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletters...wsletter_5.php

Then read it again....Cam Lean is bad ju-ju.

So easy to tie a floating yoke to static. Then twist. Then smile.

And if, later, you don't like it, just remove the serving. No harm done.

Some AM do, some don't..

I see 2-3 AlphaMax bows a month. Some have cam lean, some don't. I believe it is limb mismatch. JMHO. I am reluctant to believe mis-drilled axle holes. It certainly is possible. But the drilling and machining is all done by milling machines, etc, and done in jigs. Very little tolerance allowed, or possible. Variance in limb values, whether 5%, 10% or whatever is cumulative when added together. Especially with split limb bows. (4 limbs vs. 2)

A sweet shooting AM is a joy! A poorly set up AM or any other bow is a pain.

I would insist your Dealer make it right..or let Hoyt know.
    Good Luck.

Right on, Reverend!!

Bingo!
    What he said..

Exactly.

Originally Posted by bdinpgh View Post
    "I don't think the importance of a static yoke can be overstated for those of you having problems tuning the bow with a floating yoke."

What he said..

Just wondering if the adjustments to remove cam lean should be done while bow is at brace or at drawn position?

Just wondering if the adjustments to remove cam lean should be done while bow is at brace or at drawn position?
    I wasn't sure about this one either but I set mine at brace although I didn't take the lean 100% out on my Vulcan. I checked later on a draw board and it turns out that the lean at brace was exactly opposite to the lean at draw. Seemed to me to be the logical place to leave it because I think that this way the string should travel in the most neutral path when delivering an arrow. I don't paper tune my bows but prefer alternate methods and the Vulcan is shooting very well with the lean set this way.
    Hoyt Vulcan
    Hoyt Vantage Elite+

Wow... just didn't realize how long running this thread was. And will say that, now that I realize that, I've haven't the time to review it all (its almost rut afterall). Shooting a cam and a 1/2 with the static yokes have played a significant role for me....since I have about 3 bows with the same system. Here is what I think I know. Each bow I have takes the same cable/string length...(convenient)...but each one is different. Since I CHOSE to shoot the same arrow out of each, my only options are to move the rest position and/or the yoke, and to a degree the poundage. In the end...ALL bows shoot the same arrow at, or almost at, the same poi as FPs. Yet each has a different rest setting (+/- 1/8" or less) and a different yoke setting..and all are within 1 lb or, at most 2lbs. The point being we have 3 bows, 1 arrow, with very slight difference in yoke/rest/poundage settings......yet almost identical performance. Concurrently I would add that yoke, rest, timing and poundage setting are a number of factors that interactively play TOGETHER to make it all work. Screwing oneself into the ground over one of those settings can be counter productive. That is the art of tuning.............vs. a science.

As an interesting note to this long running thread, it should be noted that Hoyt has changed over to static yokes on their 2011 bows. Is this an admission by Hoyt that the floating yoke system on its prior bows was not the best way to go???
    BDINPGH

As an interesting note to this long running thread, it should be noted that Hoyt has changed over to static yokes on their 2011 bows. Is this an admission by Hoyt that the floating yoke system on its prior bows was not the best way to go???

"An admission by Hoyt?" That's funny right there...

Is this an admission by Hoyt that the floating yoke system on its prior bows was not the best way to go???
    If you've purchased a few sets, you have likely observed that a static yoke is $10-$20 a set lower in cost. They are faster and easier to make, use a bit less materials, and they will not admit they are "cheaping out".
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

Quote Originally Posted by TMan51 View Post
    If you've purchased a few sets, you have likely observed that a static yoke is $10-$20 a set lower in cost. They are faster and easier to make, use a bit less materials, and they will not admit they are "cheaping out".
    I haven't ever purchased a floating yoke type buss cable (don't like them), but my point wasn't about which way is cheaper to make the buss cable (BTW the string making guys here on AT seem to think it takes way less time to make a floating yoke set-up, thus equaling lower labor cost in making the floating yoke (which equals less cost to them) since the sting material is relatively inexpensive compared to their labor).

My question is whether Hoyt's adoption of the static yoke set-up on some of their 2011 bows indicates that they think that a static yoke is a better design as it allows one to more readily tune out any top cam lean? - and yes, I realize that one can serve in a floating yoke and make it a static yoke.

I'm not dogging on Hoyt - I currently own 3 of their bows and really like all of them, just asking the question.

Anyway Rev - sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought it was an interesting point to add to this thread.
    BDINPGH

My question is whether Hoyt's adoption of the static yoke set-up on some of their 2011 bows indicates that they think that a static yoke is a better design as it allows one to more readily tune out any top cam lean? - .
    My point is that cost is the driver. Having purchased several of both, I don't think there is a bit of difference. The only yoke's I vere needed to tune were static yokes. But the suppliers I have used over the years all charge more for a floating yoke.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's

Bought my first Hoyt this lst Saturday. After setting to factory tune (except ATA which is 3/16" too long), I had shot after shot tear left. Didn't make much difference what I did. Lizrd tongue, drop away, nothing helped. I did manage to reduce the left tear to just less than 1/4" at 6 ft. Then I served the floater closed and added twists, 1 1/2 ata a time, Third time, bullet hole. Checked bottem cam timing and had to correct that. Bullet hole. I did mess with a floting yoke once with a Conquest Pro. Didn't know enough then to serve it closed,( it was a left tear machine) and add twists to left yoke. I do now,

Personally, I won't use them again.
    Gold Tip Pro Staff
    Bohning Pro Staff
    HHA Field Staff
    Hawke Optics Shooting Staff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast