Thread: When do bucks begin to grow their antlers?

When do bucks begin to grow their antlers?

I am finally getting serious about hunting and i was wondering when bucks begin to grow or show signs of antler? I live in the south eastern U.P about an hour west of the thumb. i want to start scouting early but i also want to get a feel of what my buck to doe ratio is after this last hunting season. All info is welcome...Thanks.

Brad

as soon as the old ones fall off they start storing the nutrients for to produce the new ones
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo Blacked Out
    2011 Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    2010 Strothers Infinity
    If you can hunt it with a bow, I will!!!!!!

here is what I'm starting to learn from my trail cams around NW Oregon: The bucks shed anytime between late December and early March and they grow these nubs about an inch or so long just a short time after shedding (just a few weeks). Those nubs stay just like that until around mid or late May or so and then they start really growing fast. Keep in mind I am pretty new to all this and it's hard to tell for sure which bucks are which in my tc pics. If you ask me this same question in a couple more months I'll know alot more hopefully.
    DS

Every buck on my trail camera had shed by mid February. They are now starting to sprout.

length of days is the controlling factor as when antlers start to sprout. Typically about the 15 of April here in the Midwest. Some may start 2 weeks earlier some may start 2 weeks later. The food sources are very week of nutrients before things green up. If the bucks were to start too early the antler growing nutrients would be robbed from their bone structure, instead of using food nutrients. Mother Nature kind of controls this nicely.
    Last edited by Stanley; March 16th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

In my part of Ohio, you can usually start seeing or noticing signs of antler growth around the beginning or middle part of May.

Now

now

thanks for all the info...sounds like May is when they start growing. Im hoping to get a camera in the woods soon and watch them transform so i can get a better understanding of how it all plays out from now until bowseason.

the antlers start becoming visible in may in my area....they fall off in late january

Part of the reason they fall is because the new ones are pushing up on the old ones, so immediatly and before.

georgia bucks started velvet may 15-20th

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    here is what I'm starting to learn from my trail cams around NW Oregon: The bucks shed anytime between late December and early March and they grow these nubs about an inch or so long just a short time after shedding (just a few weeks). Those nubs stay just like that until around mid or late May or so and then they start really growing fast. Keep in mind I am pretty new to all this and it's hard to tell for sure which bucks are which in my tc pics. If you ask me this same question in a couple more months I'll know alot more hopefully.
    DS
    I NOTICED ON MY TRAILCAMS IN THE PAST WEEK AND A HALF, THE LITTLE BUTTONS THAT LOOKED LIKE BUTTON BUCKS HAVE STARTED TAKING OFF. LOOKED LIKE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO TO TODAY MAY 26th THEY HAVE GROWN 4 INCHES AND STILL IS HARD TO TELL APART RIGHT NOW.
    TWO OF THE BUCKS I'M PRETTY SURE WE'RE FROM LAST YEAR THAT ATE ACORNS NEAR MY FRONT DOOR AFTER THEY'RE MAMA WAS SHOT BY NEIGHBOR ON DOE DAY. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE 4 POINTER/S OR BETTER.
    ALL OF THE BUCKS ARE TOGETHER NOW AND I SEE 6 BUCKS ON TRAILCAMS REGUARLY THAT ARE FORKED HORN NOW WITH POTENTIAL TO SHOOT THIS FALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
    Part of the reason they fall is because the new ones are pushing up on the old ones, so immediatly and before.
    Correct. It is similar to baby teeth being pushed out by the primary teeth in humans.
    Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com 1-800-339-0232
    International customers please order by email thirdhandinc@twc.com

The original Made in the USA

"Hunt safe today, so you can hunt again tomorrow".

holy old thread batman
    Kwik-Strap ProStaff....... kinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
    Pinski you are the Archery innovator of the decade.
    Vortex Optics
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1061263717 The Great Mongrel Thread