Thread: shooting bow within city limits in ottawa ontario

Hybrid View

shooting bow within city limits in ottawa ontario

hey

just wondering if anyone knows if it's legal to shoot a bow on private property in ottawa ontario?

planning on getting an arrow stopper and shooting in the backyard, I just want to make sure it's legal before I do so

thanks
    09 Bowtech Sniper

Ottawa is probably like every other municipailty in Ontario. Most have a no discharge of firearms bylaw and this ALWAYS includes bows. Check with your local bylaw dept.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Ottawa is probably like every other municipailty in Ontario. Most have a no discharge of firearms bylaw and this ALWAYS includes bows. Check with your local bylaw dept.
    ok thanks, I will contact bylaw and find out
    09 Bowtech Sniper

Not a bright idea to shoot in a residential area.

There have been 2 arrow shootings in New York this month - getting a lot of bad press.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss

Virtually all of the city of Ottawa is a no discharge zone. As silly as this will sound, you're better off shooting into a good bag or block target in your basement than you are outside. If you want to shoot outside in the City of Ottawa, join one of the local clubs and shoot at their range.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    Virtually all of the city of Ottawa is a no discharge zone. As silly as this will sound, you're better off shooting into a good bag or block target in your basement than you are outside. If you want to shoot outside in the City of Ottawa, join one of the local clubs and shoot at their range.
    Yep, there are a few areas on the outskirts of Kanata and some of the more rural areas of the new city but you would need to study the map on the city website to find them.Best to just join a club.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine82 View Post
    You should check the by-law. In North Bay we have a Discharge Bylaw but it excludes Longbow and Compound bow. How do highschools get away with shooting bows in city limits if this bylaw does not have an exception?

I live in Constance Bay, its a cut off little place in the country. just on the outskirts of Ottawa.
    I dont see anyone having an issue with me shooting on my property, I live on the water besides the only Boat launch. (some of you might know who I am now)
    I have a 20 yard target from the sides of my property, I shoot with my back to the boat launch, shooting towards my fire pit.
    The target is a blackhole Block about 2feet by 2 feet. I also have a 5foot retaining wall behind my target with a grassy hill as well making it approximately 6 feet of wall to catch a rogue arrow.
    I am shooting towards my good neighbors yard but with 6+ feet of wall to block the arrows, and the target i shoot is on the ground 2 feet tall, I have no worries.
    I always Draw my bow towards the ground then raise to appropriate level, never aiming above target.

I'm not sure if the bylaw effects me where I live, but i'll look into it, cause i was hoping to take my foam target into the back 40 and shoot it in the woods.

Ton of indoor ranges thru out Ontario ie school archery programs, not subjected to or regulated by chief firearms officer of ontario. Bows are NOT firearms. Contact the administrator of a local indoor archery club or school that offers indoor archery and ask them.

We're allowed to here where I am but not something I'd recommend unless you can assure it's 100% safe.
    Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"

http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/b...rms/index.html

There ya go, I never thought this applied to bows though until I looked it up.

"firearm" means any class or type of gun or other firearm including a shotgun, rifle, air-gun, spring-gun, long-bow or cross-bow;

3. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm in any area that is shown as a shaded area on any of the maps attached as Schedules "A" to "P" inclusive or on any navigable water located within or adjacent to the shaded areas.
    (2) Despite subsection (1), a person may discharge a long-bow or cross-bow in the hatched area within the shaded area on Schedule "E".
    Go to the link and take a look at the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikantski View Post
    http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/b...rms/index.html

There ya go, I never thought this applied to bows though until I looked it up.

Go to the link and take a look at the maps.
    Thats what I thought, hatched area of map pretty well covers all of Ottawa. Discharging of Bow OK, firearm not permitted.

Map is crap, barely read it ... low resolution.

Firearm is any barrelled weapon able to shot a projectile exceeding 500 fps ... bow does not have barrel!

Unlike a firearm a bow does not require a license to purchase, own, transport and there are no storage requirements. Indoor firearm ranges are subject to the inspection and approval of the chief firearms of Ontario. Most school's that offer a archery program utilize the gymnasium as an indoor range the football field as an outdoor range.

A friend of mine put the rule to test.. he practiced on baseline rd in his laneway 4 lane road.. 4000 cars a hour capacity... shooting into his garage police came numerous times but did not charge him as not a firearm.. they just asked he not stand out in open and draw attention.. only the uneducated complain mainly.

AAh, nice to live in BC, get to launch arrows 90 metre's in my back yard and wave at my neighbours, life is good! Not to mention bow hunt within municipal boundaries.