Archery Talk Forum banner

shooting bow within city limits in ottawa ontario

20K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  patrick.sprung 
#1 ·
hey

just wondering if anyone knows if it's legal to shoot a bow on private property in ottawa ontario?

planning on getting an arrow stopper and shooting in the backyard, I just want to make sure it's legal before I do so

thanks

#2 ·
Ottawa is probably like every other municipailty in Ontario. Most have a no discharge of firearms bylaw and this ALWAYS includes bows. Check with your local bylaw dept.

#7 ·
thanks everyone

I am part of an indoor and soon will be joining an outdoor club, it's more about me knowing what's legal and what's not...you know for days I don't feel like driving to the range

oh well, I am all for respecting the law, I wont be shooting in my backyard anytime soon :D

#8 ·
I live in Constance Bay, its a cut off little place in the country. just on the outskirts of Ottawa.
I dont see anyone having an issue with me shooting on my property, I live on the water besides the only Boat launch. (some of you might know who I am now)
I have a 20 yard target from the sides of my property, I shoot with my back to the boat launch, shooting towards my fire pit.
The target is a blackhole Block about 2feet by 2 feet. I also have a 5foot retaining wall behind my target with a grassy hill as well making it approximately 6 feet of wall to catch a rogue arrow.
I am shooting towards my good neighbors yard but with 6+ feet of wall to block the arrows, and the target i shoot is on the ground 2 feet tall, I have no worries.
I always Draw my bow towards the ground then raise to appropriate level, never aiming above target.

I'm not sure if the bylaw effects me where I live, but i'll look into it, cause i was hoping to take my foam target into the back 40 and shoot it in the woods.

#12 ·
http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/bylaw/a_z/firearms/index.html

There ya go, I never thought this applied to bows though until I looked it up.

"firearm" means any class or type of gun or other firearm including a shotgun, rifle, air-gun, spring-gun, long-bow or cross-bow;

3. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm in any area that is shown as a shaded area on any of the maps attached as Schedules "A" to "P" inclusive or on any navigable water located within or adjacent to the shaded areas.
(2) Despite subsection (1), a person may discharge a long-bow or cross-bow in the hatched area within the shaded area on Schedule "E".
Go to the link and take a look at the maps.

#13 ·
http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/bylaw/a_z/firearms/index.html

There ya go, I never thought this applied to bows though until I looked it up.

Go to the link and take a look at the maps.
Thats what I thought, hatched area of map pretty well covers all of Ottawa. Discharging of Bow OK, firearm not permitted.

Map is crap, barely read it ... low resolution.

Firearm is any barrelled weapon able to shot a projectile exceeding 500 fps ... bow does not have barrel!

#14 ·
Unlike a firearm a bow does not require a license to purchase, own, transport and there are no storage requirements. Indoor firearm ranges are subject to the inspection and approval of the chief firearms of Ontario. Most school's that offer a archery program utilize the gymnasium as an indoor range the football field as an outdoor range.

#15 ·
A friend of mine put the rule to test.. he practiced on baseline rd in his laneway 4 lane road.. 4000 cars a hour capacity... shooting into his garage police came numerous times but did not charge him as not a firearm.. they just asked he not stand out in open and draw attention.. only the uneducated complain mainly.

#17 ·
I have a friend who lives just North of Mitch Owns Rd. While this is still in the no Discharge zones their property is very large and surrounded by forest. There is about 1km of dense forest behind their land that ends at the back part of a farm field. Any neighbours in question are separated by forested land as well and cannot be seen from my friend's land due to thick forest. The area that could be used for one or two people to release a bow is more than 200 to 300 meters from the road and cannot be scene from the road. Their land is rural for all intensive purposes but technically falls in the zone of Ottawa. Does anyone think this could be a problem? I don't think so, because one would have to trespass in order to see anyone doing anything on their land.
Any thoughts?

#18 ·
We have a no discharge bylaw but our hunting club had "for hunting" added in when they wrote the bylaw. We jammed the council chamber and they rewrote bylaw 3 times that day. We are not hunting we are target shooting or bowfishing. I stand at my back fence and shoot at my house. I also shoot inside my house. With a no discharge bylaw includes inside your house.

#19 ·
I shoot in my basement. My bow is pretty quiet.
So are you saying you release your bow in your backyard, but you back yard is in a By-Law Local? Or are you referring to your club?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.