a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Country Excalibur?

High Country Excalibur?

As some of you may know, I just dug up the old equipment from the garage. My father had a HCA Excalibur. I have tried to find information on the net, especially when it was made, etc...to no avail. The High Country web site does have string length and all the needed measurements to keep it going, but I would like to know a little more about this model.

In the mid 90s, High Country swept through our archery club. They were a very popular bow line back then. Last Monday, when I did a public shoot (I haven't joined this other club yet), there were no HCA bows in evidence. I take it they have gone down in popularity somewhat.

Anyways, this one blew its string over the 12 years it was in deep storage. I just got a new string installed, and inspected everything else. Looks good. Then I bought a new sight and peep sight for it.

Can anyone tell me about this bow? I haven't shot it yet...something I am planning to do this Monday.

i had 3 of them.

i still have an excaliber in target red and silver.they are fast with those hachet cams and most have a dovetail built into the riser for the sight

This is too funny of a post. Just tonight, I was digging around my garage and found my old excalibur. No string on it, so I went to HCA website and downloaded the pdf. (Getting new strings very soon.) I have asked the same questions you did in this post about HCA. First off, their website sucks. There is more information about High Country bows in the produce department in your local grocery store than on that site. I shot my first tourney in 8 yrs two weeks ago, and I got on this site and posed the same questions you asked in this thread. Apparently, they got too big too quick. Customer service went to the gutter and Mathews was born. The Mathews era had begun. HCA has been behind the eight ball ever since. Customer service still sucks and I can't even get a reply to any of my posts on their forum.

As far as the excalibur goes, very quick bow. Grained out, I think mine was shooting around 300 fps. I actually won the Spring ABA State Shoot 10 yrs or so ago with that bow in BHR. I actually shot 8 up for the tourney. It is probably the best bow I have personally ever owned.

Ah so that is what happened to them.

I did visit their forum, and read a few posts....mostly people complaining that nobody from HCA was helping them. I decided to not post there, seeing it as a waste of time. It is why I posted here instead. From what I have seen, there is always a few people who know the info and are willing to share it with another archer.

On a side note the pro shop I took it to were all amazed it had an overdraw. They were like kids all over it, examining a museum piece lol. Hmmm. Come to think of it, I didn't see any overdraws present either on Public Night.

Thumbs up

Great bow.And yes back in the mid to late 90's they were the sh*t.If you need Draw moduals for it let me know I've got several sets.If aver dicide to get rid of it let me know.
    I am not Bias towards any Bow>>>----->I love to shoot em' all!!

Thank you Tracy. Now I can't wait to shoot it this Monday. I also have a few modules and an extra set of limbs for it. That was a very kind offer on your part. It is my late fathers...so it has sentimental value.

i had to have one when they got popular. but didn't want to pay the price at the time which was probably 400 bucks. so when my neighbor wanted to sell the one he won at a shoot, i jumped on it for 200. i loved it. killed my first bow deer with it. i am on my second mathews since it. and would love to have it back. great find though.

I got the chance to shoot the bow the other night. Still a little speed demon for its age. This one is a keeper. I didn't have a chrono, but the arrow impact was louder than most of the other archers out that night.

I used to have a Excalibur and 2 Machined Supreme bows from HCA they where a pretty good bow for their time.

I have shot HCA bows for 15 years. I have never been without at least one of them. I did have an excalibur and it was a very good bow. I killed alot of deer with it. I have an Iron Mace now and I love it.
    I have it from a reliable source that HCA is closing down. I am in the metal fab business and one of my contacts that also hunts told me HCA was selling all of their CNC machines. Maybe they are upgrading but he seems to think they are shutting the doors.
    www.ikesoutdoors.com Bow and Product Reviews, How-to videos and more
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ikesoutdoors

My dad has a excalibur like the other posts say they were a fast little bow in thier time I used to shoot it a little and I really liked it I have been trying to talk him in to getting it back out but no luck yet.
    Pse vendetta xl,Evo,revenge,bow madness xl

I still have my Excalibur too, I think I bought it in '94 or '95. It has a black riser and camo limbs with the HC overdraw. I still shoot it every now and then. I chrono'd it a couple weeks ago and if I remember right, it shot a 392 grain arrow in the high 280's.
    '07 Diamond Black Ice w/MeanV
    Viper Predator Microtune in Hardwoods
    G5 Expert II camo
    Carter Quickie 1+
    CX Maxima Hunter 350 w/100 grain G5 Montecs

nice bow !

my little brother just got one from my uncles friend. its a nice bow. i was shooting it and grouping really good with it. and i noticed his shooting got alot better. i hate the grip but other wise its really nice for an older bow.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak

I have a Machined Supreme! My favorite bow of all time. I bought it the first year they came out.

They were HCA's first 6061 Mach Alum riser bow and it came out for the 1994 model year. They had the Ultra Extreme out before that, but the 7075 risers were brittle and they had alot failures with that bow-saw one bust in half at full draw (customer's new bow) and it was NOT pretty.

Excalibur came in the 16" straight limbs, the 16" lam recurve limbs, and 17 1/2" lam recurve limb version (XL) which didn't have the snap of the straight limb model, but man what a smooth draw and a pretty bow (and had about another 5/8" of brace height). I had one of each limb style and eventually "inherited" another black riser camo straight limb version from 1995. In 1994 had originally ordered an "elite" series w/ the 16" recurve limbs which at the time was camo bow with upgraded camo dipped cams/modules/cableguard, camo dipped sight, camo dipped quiver, camo dipped carbofast stabilizer, and some other junk. Being it was a lefty, I gave up after 9 months of not receiving it and just bought the XL instead (17.5" recurves) to go with my 16" recurve version. Later I got the two straight limb models.

I was on the HCA shop-shooter staff, and at the two shops I helped out at over the years we sold a pile of Excaliburs, but I never shot the Excaliburs nearly as well as the Extreme/Supreme (cast risers), or the Machined Supreme and Force Supremes. I recall there being a lot of cam bushing wear on them because of the cable angle. 38" was pretty short back in 1994- and the lower cableguard did not work well.

Neat bows for the time though- VERY big seller!

In the mid 90s I got started into archery with the HCA Safari that had 80 lb limbs..(monsters)
    I then moved to the excalibur and fell in love. It is true that the cams axles will egg out the bushings pretty fast. The pro shop always told me that I was holding the bow wrong which was BS. I got married had 2 kids then divorced over the 98 to 06 era and the bow sat the entire time. Last fall I drug it out and started shooting again.
    New cam bushings, strings and limbs have been installed and the damn thing shoots better than it ever had. I still look up at the top cam every time I draw waiting for the single "click" noise that says the bushing is wearing... Im considering buying a hoyt katera but I hate to shoot anything but my HCA. I will never sell this one for sure

I just retired my '94 HCA Phantom 2 last year and it was a killing machine.

Thumbs up need parts

Hi Tracy, just dug out my old excaliber, want to set it up for my son. He needs a shorter draw, do u still have modules need 26, 27 or 28. Also Tracy or any one else, do u have any extra parts for it. Thanks Randy By the way great forum

Talking sorry guys

Does any one know where I can get a manual for serviceing the excaliber such as changing modules, cables, string, ect. The number on the bow is 0103796rs. thanks again.

I don't have much info to help ya out but I just had to post something here with the conversation dealing with HCA. My first bow was HCA Sniper about 91-92. I loved that thing. Yeah not much info at HCA website on older equipment.

up until last year i was still hunting with my excaliber.i had mine set at 58#and a 323 grain shaft shot 294 fps .no bad for a bow from the mid 90s.i got rid of it because i got tired of putting it back in time

my little bro just bought one. wprks great. draws pretty smooth, good speed, holds stteady. not to bad for an old bow. the wall sucks on it but o well he shoots it good
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak

Man that bow is wrong handed!!

Just keep you some cam bushing handy. These bow would get some bad cam lean with those hatchet cams....replaced a many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by subconsciously View Post
    Man that bow is wrong handed!!

Just keep you some cam bushing handy. These bow would get some bad cam lean with those hatchet cams....replaced a many of them.
    I had completely forgotten about those cam bushings. I had an Excaliber in the mid 90's, it was fast and shot real well. Actually finished 5th at the ASA federation nationals OPen A shooting one of those, way back when. But, they eat up cam bushings if you shoot them much. I shot ALOT back then and replaced bushings about once a month I actually may still have some. If you need some let me know and I'll see if I can dig'em out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast