a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Florida Rut

The Florida Rut

We hunters in Florida have the most screwed up rut pattern to try to figure out. I live in St. Augustine and I know for a fact they rut in late august and Ive seen it in early January. I pretty much put out Tinks 69 whenever I bow hunt in september, but what do you guys do to try to hunt this crazy pattern??

Mosquitoes
    Palmettos
    Therma-Cells
    Thats how we roll in FL

the wierd thing is- around here S Florida- the biologists I've spoken to say they breed year round.

Can anyone confirm this? I cannot

Quote Originally Posted by b_vanfossen View Post
    the wierd thing is- around here S Florida- the biologists I've spoken to say they breed year round.

Can anyone confirm this? I cannot
    I have heard the same thing from biologists and I'm from central Fl. (Leesburg)

Quote Originally Posted by pdcollins6092 View Post
    I have heard the same thing from biologists and I'm from central Fl. (Leesburg)
    I've not met anyone that has seen a fawn other than spring around here...

I have seen brand new fawns(twins) , 5 days after gun season closed in Green Swamp WMA , how ever that WMA is known for there rut to be right around Christmas

I've given up on trying to hunt the rut. It's easier to find other patterns and rely on those.

I live in South Carolina now ,But spent 18 years hunting in central FL. mostly in Ocala forrest, and Rock springs run and a place called Farmton in Osteen I think it's a private club or something now. I've seen several 1-2 week old fawns while scouting the little lake George unit in Ocala as late as 2nd week of August.And had to pass on more than a few deer there that were still sporting thier spots in early October, breeding and birthing is for sure a mixed bag in the sun shine state ,but I miss hunting there. Been in Carolina for 6 seasons now it's OK but I still think I saw more deer in FL they are a bit bigger here though but not a lot. I'm near the border of GA. and SC. Good luck down there guys.

Ive hunted the glades for 30yrs and have found that the first three weeks of archery season is the best down here, deer are very callable in september. Have taken many deer in them few weeks....

Last of july 1st of august here . I ve hunted the same trac of land for 12 yrs. always same time , just sucks cause bow season dont start till sept. at best youll get some hold overs. But theres talk about changing it so we could just hope they get it right.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.
    "09" Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" 70#
    CX Mayhem's w/ 100gr. Montec CS @ 434gr

in nwf they seem to start rutting around mid jan, through march. floridas a different place to hunt. seen rutting activity while turkey hunting.

Its on , Saw two bucks both were chasing today. these FWC biologist need to get with the program we should be hunting NOW.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickReflex View Post
    Its on , Saw two bucks both were chasing today. these FWC biologist need to get with the program we should be hunting NOW.
    where did you see them?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Delozier View Post
    I live in South Carolina now ,But spent 18 years hunting in central FL. mostly in Ocala forrest, and Rock springs run and a place called Farmton in Osteen I think it's a private club or something now. .

Hey Delozier,
    I hunted Farmton when I was younger. Shotgun only. It's been private for many years now.

I've seen fawns in September in Central Florida.

We do get a harder rut just before bowseason and another around ML season. However, I firmly believe that they breed year round.
    Isaiah 41:10

MATHEWS REEZEN 7.0

where did you see them?
    My property in Immokalee,Fl.

I saw one a few weeks ago (still had its spots) heading into Gainesville

Quote Originally Posted by Usingmyrights View Post
    I saw one a few weeks ago (still had its spots) heading into Gainesville
    I have seen 2 spotted fawns a few months back actually. they were with diferent parents also. ! was a little older and losing it's spots

I have welfare deer come into my back yard every night, 10-20 of them. We started seeing fawns about mid June. Those early fawns are losing their spots now but I just saw a newer fawn this week. My guess is they're breeding mid-November to mid-January. This new fawn was with a very young doe who may have not gone into heat for the first time until January.

Maybe you should consult a zoologist and leave general biology out of it.

Call your DNR or F&G and ask for the Zoologist.

I saw 2 spotted fawns today in N. Idaho the size of poodles.

Call a zoologist.

Yeah, S. Florida deer breed year-round. Newsflash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
    I've given up on trying to hunt the rut. It's easier to find other patterns and rely on those.
    Good call.

rut

I've found in palm beach area...late aug-sept for first good rut....there's a second one around the first week in november. I've had the best results with code blue buck urine and tinks 69. The code blue drives the bucks nuts if you're in their core area. A few years back I had three different bucks run up to my stand 3 times in 3 weeks. I wasn't even up the tree. Don't put it down until you're ready. At least the code blue. It pisses them off. And they look pissed when they come towards you. same year shot a 7 point the first weekend of gun season (nov) with same stuff. He came right up to me.

Gainesville area...I've found last week in sept to middle of oct....then in the first part of november for second phase.

Quote Originally Posted by 1justright View Post
    We hunters in Florida have the most screwed up rut pattern to try to figure out. I live in St. Augustine and I know for a fact they rut in late august and Ive seen it in early January. I pretty much put out Tinks 69 whenever I bow hunt in september, but what do you guys do to try to hunt this crazy pattern??

Citrus starts first couple of weeks in Nov and I've seen them casing in Jan, Green Swamp is all over place, makes you nuts.
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT
    Black Eagle arrows
    QAD rest
    Trophy Ridge sights
    Crimson Talon XT broadheads

Almost stepped on a fawn that couln't have been more than 2 or 3 days old in Cecil Webb last weekend of Jan. in the early 90's.

Back then Cecil Webb had a special archery hunt the last weekend of Jan.

Man did that thing blend in, like I said, almost stepped on him/her. He/she just laid there, curled up tight, just the eyelids blinking. Mom was about 50 or 60 yards away bouncing back and forth with her flag up.

Pretty cool but was very surprised at such an early drop.

Lance

I hunt the deep lake unit and a buddies property in immokalee also and i have seen the bucks chasein when i have been scouting in july. In Dinner island i always see fawns in september. The Everglades has the worst season in the country its way to late imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast