Thread: Moose in Missouri??

Moose in Missouri??

Hey guys, i had a guy tell me there were moose on his property in missouri. I didnt think this was true i just wondered if anyone knew for sure if there were moose or not in missouri.. sounds weird to me!

Brain Worm

Where moose and whitetails occur in the same area, moose can pick up a parasite that deteriorates their brains. I've heard that some of these sick moose have traveled from northern Minnesota into Iowa before dying. Missouri is almost twice as far but maybe it could happen. Other option is it escaped from a zoo or something.

I doubt it, but I guess anything's possible!
    CLICK HERE to view my outdoor videos.
    Backstrap Brothers Facebook Page

LOL yeah if its fenced in

..................I don't even think the St. Louis zoo has moose......they got polar bears, so there are polar bears in Missouri....
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

naaaaaaa
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

if it's wild, there is probably only ONE running around in the whole state. We have numerous elk farms in MO. I have two just an hour from my house.

now...we have had a WILD elk in Independence, MO before. I can't find a web article (was about 15-20 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Where moose and whitetails occur in the same area, moose can pick up a parasite that deteriorates their brains. I've heard that some of these sick moose have traveled from northern Minnesota into Iowa before dying. Missouri is almost twice as far but maybe it could happen. Other option is it escaped from a zoo or something.
    Had one come down about 10 years ago . This is what they said was wrong with it . Several people saw it . Same thing with the Elk . The elk got hit by a car up by KC , the moose just vanished last seen going into some thick willows on the Mo. river .
    I think it vanished into an old boys freezer !
    Staff Shooter Outback Archery , Marshall , Mo. Thanks MoBow#1 and Hoyt !
    Its not easy to shoot a pig in the dark !
    Beware of what you PM ! The trees have Eyes !
    Rockin Rooster Bow Strings
    X and nothing but the X that is the answer !!!

No moose....

I dont know about moose but there are wild ELK in Eastern KS.......just letting everyone know!

Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by NocBuster View Post
    LOL yeah if its fenced in

Thats what I think.....
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 28"/65lb
    Spot-Hogg Hunter 7 pin wrapped sight, Limbdriver Pro Rest, Treelimb Premium Quiver

I grew up in S.W. Mo. and there is a now defunct hunting ranch in McDonald co. which had all types of species, moose included. It is quite possible that some animals didnt either get killed of removed from property. I have been out hunting near the property and have seen Bighorn sheep, Muleys, etc. (pretty interesting sights for a place those things arent supposed to be).

There's a HF hunt in Bismark Mo..about 7 miles west of me...so it's possible.I know there's some big elk in there,cause i've done carpenter work all around there and seen them......wanting out.

I think some one was probably a little drunk
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo Blacked Out
    2011 Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    2010 Strothers Infinity
    If you can hunt it with a bow, I will!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Theres alot of moose and deer in Northern Saskatchewan and I've never heard of this before! The only thing killing our moose are hunters and the mighty wolf!

Saskatchewan

This link has a lot of information: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer...brainworm.html

This paragraph might explain why it's not seen so far north:
    The white-tailed deer is the normal host and is unaffected by the parasite. Severe neurological damage occurs in several species, including moose, caribou, elk, mule deer, llamas, domestic sheep, and goats. Brainworm is found only in central and eastern North America. It has not spread to the western part of the continent, even though whitetails occur in much of the West.