Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathews FX compared to 2009 bows (any manufacturer)

Mathews FX compared to 2009 bows (any manufacturer)

Not trying to start a "which bow to buy" thread. Been out of bow hunting for a couple of years now and planning to get back into the game. I have a Mathews FX. Trying to decide if it's worth getting a new bow. Other than speed, that's obvious, are the new bows on the market significantly more quieter, smoother, forgiving, etc.?

Thanks.

The new bows are queiter and smoother, etc yes....but that doesn't mean you need a new bow. Its personal preference. If I were you I'd go and shoot some of the new bows in your price range and decide if its worth it to you to spend the money. A good new bow can cost as little as $400 or you can spend $1k.

Also, check these classifieds for some deals if you find you like a certain bow.

Some people will buy a new bow yearly, others keep the same one for a decade.
    Streeter Custom Archery -- > Custom Strings for any bow
    XPEDITION ARCHERY DEALER - All Models Available - Below MAP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atchison View Post
    The new bows are queiter and smoother, etc yes....but that doesn't mean you need a new bow. Its personal preference. If I were you I'd go and shoot some of the new bows in your price range and decide if its worth it to you to spend the money. A good new bow can cost as little as $400 or you can spend $1k.

Also, check these classifieds for some deals if you find you like a certain bow.

Some people will buy a new bow yearly, others keep the same one for a decade.
    Thanks. That's what I figured. Just wondering if it's worth the effort. I'm over 50 now and I'm attempting to determine if the more modern bows can help offset some of the aging quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by thevolkp View Post
    Thanks. That's what I figured. Just wondering if it's worth the effort. I'm over 50 now and I'm attempting to determine if the more modern bows can help offset some of the aging quirks.
    One thing about many of todays bows is the fact that you can find a smooth easy drawing bow, drop down in draw weight, and still match the performance of your current rig. This may be easier on your shoulder and joints. Nothing wrong with your Mathews FX though so you just need to determine need vs want and what its worth to you. Won't hurt to go test a bunch to see if its what you really want to do.

The only reason that I switched away from the FX is that I needed a bow with lower draw weight. I also did not like the back wall much after trying some of the newer bows.
    K

A friend of mine has an older FX. I've not heard a bow as quiet as his, except a longbow or recurve. So quieter, no. Smoother? Perhaps, with the parallel limbs, but with a decent stabilizer the FX aint bad. Forgiving? Kind of subjective. If you compare a new bow with the same ATA and BH, how would it be more forgiving? Speed, ya, a new model should be faster. The only thing I did'nt like about the FX, (well, 2 things) I like a longer bow personally, but the FX has a short sight window. It seemed like the sight was jambed up in where the riser curves back out. Could have been my anchor to. Now if you want a new bow, go shoot some, if you don't want a new bow, stay out of the showroom. That new bow smell gets to ya.

I used to own an FX. It was/is a great little bow! With today's technology, you can drop down in DW and get better performance. I believe the FX had an IBO rating of 308fps. With today's ratings on the Dren, DXT, or Reezen, you can drop down to 60lbs., shoot a little light arrow, have less stress on your joints, and shoot just as fast, if not faster.

SCFox

Kind of sounds like golf clubs. There's always a new and improved driver that everyone needs, but it doesn't necessarily make you a better golfer.

My original question has been posted for over a half a day. No real compelling posts for me to look for a new bow. Why is it that you guys always looking for the new latest and greatest? My FX shouldn't be able to be compared to today's bows. Is it just a marketing thing? Or, is it an addiction?

Ok you asked

The FX was and is a decent bow and yes I had one. Newer, parallel limb bows are far more manageable, way smoother to draw and shoot, way less shock and are much quieter. My advice is to shoot the FX once you decide you like and are sticking to archery and bowhunting upgrade to the best bow you can afford. A newer bow will give you better, more consistent and comfortable shooting across a wide variety of conditions, Is the new bow worth it, yes if you are serious about the sport. Newer bows can make average archers, excellent archers.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    '13 LH Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL-60lb-Orange w/Black hardware
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- Realtree Xtra

Quote Originally Posted by standsitter View Post
    The FX was and is a decent bow and yes I had one. Newer, parallel limb bows are far more manageable, way smoother to draw and shoot, way less shock and are much quieter. My advice is to shoot the FX once you decide you like and are sticking to archery and bowhunting upgrade to the best bow you can afford. A newer bow will give you better, more consistent and comfortable shooting across a wide variety of conditions, Is the new bow worth it, yes if you are serious about the sport. Newer bows can make average archers, excellent archers.
    Thanks. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Another question. I've noticed that most of the current bows have a short ATA. My FX is 34" and I thought that was short. I have a 30" DL. Is a shorter bow a disadvantage for a 30" DL? Or, should I try to stay at a 34+" ATA? I understand the longer the BH the more forgiving. I definitely need that. My FX has a 7" BH.

If your a mathews guy look at a reezen 7.0 and drop to next lower limb draw weight

Otherwise a hoyt alpha max 35, bowtech captain, would be on my list as well

If you want to shoot the quietest shock free bow try a bowtech centerpivot , admiral, captain, sentinel you won't believe how they feel compared to you FX

Will a new bow make you better, no, could buying a new bow that perhaps fits just alittle better has a draw weight more suited to you needs help you shoot better, absolutely yes

With your draw length I personnaly would be looking for something in the 34-37" ata range I shoot 29 to 29-1/2" dl and find the longer bows fit me better
    SH Archery - PM Scottie/PA here on Archerytalk
    Bowtech Archery Dealer-----Stryker Xbow Dealer
    PSE HURRY AND ORDER YOUR 2014's Pro Series/Mainline Dealer
    60X Custom Strings, Vortex Optics, QAD, NAP and more---Call anytime 724-487-4974
    Supra Max, Full Throttle, WTB 29/50 Full throttle if anyone is looking to sell PM me

Thanks for the replies. I know what to zero in on now. I'll be looking at the longer ATA bows.

The BOWTECH SWAT is a good little bow. It's not expensive, and draws great! I'd look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by thevolkp View Post
    My original question has been posted for over a half a day. No real compelling posts for me to look for a new bow. Why is it that you guys always looking for the new latest and greatest? My FX shouldn't be able to be compared to today's bows. Is it just a marketing thing? Or, is it an addiction?
    I am in the same situation as you. I have a 70# FX that I have had since 2000. I made the mistake of going to the local pro shop and shooting a few different models. You won't believe the difference in feel of the new bows. They are faster, more shock free and quieter. I could drop to a 60# bow and with the same arrow not lose any speed with some of the faster models. The Martin Firecat and PSE Dreamseason GX really have my eye right now.
    I would suggest you go shoot some of the new models and see if the difference in feel justifies spending the $$. Only you can decide that.
    My wife wishes I would not have shot the new ones.

my buddy still is shooting his FX he has had since he was 17. He wont give it up.
    31" Mathews Drenalin LD--31" Mathews Ovation
    Posten--Tightspot--Easton--G5

Somebody I love needs a heart,
    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Talking Keep your FX as a backup!

I have a 2003 Matthews FX that I have as my backup bow. I bought Cabela's String Suppressor, which mounts on front of the riser behind the stabilizer & I attached a bowjax rod stabilizer........boy, did it reduce hand shock! I love the FX's wood grain "Competition Grip" (still my favorite grip). A year ago, I "test drove" many new and slightly used bows. I wasn't going to buy another bow unless I could gain at least 20fps IBO, have a smooth draw, 34" or less ATA for tree stand hunting, and not pay no more than $400-$500. I ended up buying a slightly used one year old Hoyt Vulcan, ATA 33", IBO 325fps (vs FX's 305fps), BH is only 6", but feels like 7", and 75 ftpds of Ke vs 63 ftpds with my FX. I've slain 7 whitetail with the Vulcan last fall. It's the smoothest & most powerful 70# bow I've shot, next to Hoyt's Katera, AlpaMax 32 & 35 and the new Elite's, but this is a personal preference. Go & "test drive" many different bows. You'll find the one that feels good in your hands and shoots well for you specifically. But by all means keep that FX as your backup (I did and my 18 year old has expressed interest in bow hunting, which the FX with adjustable draw length Cam will probably be his one day). Good Luck. Hope my rampling helped a fellow archer/bowhunter.
    Mike B.
    '09 Elite GT500, 68#, 28.5" DL, SH Real Deal 5 x 0.19, Limbdriver, 376g 27" GT Expedition Hunters 5575 w/ Blazers @ 300fps (75ft/lbs KE), '07 Hoyt Vulcan, 67# @ 28.5" DL, SH Real Deal 5 x 0.19, Limbdriver, 406g 29" GT XT Hunter 7595 w/ 3" Fusions @ 280fps (71ft/lbs KE), 100g Slick Trick Mags, 2 blade Rage,

I also had a FX..it was a great shooting bow..i was getting 290fps with a 330gr arrow at 61#...one thing about the FX is that its a lot lighter than the newer bows..the FX is worth around $225.00-$250.00 on E BAY if you want to sell it...i guess you have to decide if you want to spend the money for a new bow...you probably will pick up like 15 -20fps with a newer bow unless you go the speed bow route...there is a lot of bows to choose from its just trying to decide which one you like...

Personaly i like the little longer ATA thats why i still use my Z MAZ..its 36" and shoots great..i dont know if the shorter ATA and a long draw length is the way to go...JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky45 View Post
    I am in the same situation as you. I have a 70# FX that I have had since 2000. I made the mistake of going to the local pro shop and shooting a few different models. You won't believe the difference in feel of the new bows. They are faster, more shock free and quieter. I could drop to a 60# bow and with the same arrow not lose any speed with some of the faster models. The Martin Firecat and PSE Dreamseason GX really have my eye right now.
    I would suggest you go shoot some of the new models and see if the difference in feel justifies spending the $$. Only you can decide that.
    My wife wishes I would not have shot the new ones.
    Well I think I got the bug. I'm going to try some out. Couple I'm going to try to start are the BT Sentinel and the Mathews Drenalin LD. A dealer about 30 miles away sells both BT and Mathews. I want to go with a longer ATA. I'm going to try to ignore cost and try to focus on one that feels good. My son-in-law has a BT General but left hand. I pulled that one back anyways and was surprised how smooth the draw was once it left off. General is a little short for me I think. Want to stay over 34 ATA. And from what I can tell from reading the single cam is less maintenance and you don't have to worry timing issues over time, but will try both single and dual.

The FX is a good bow. Other Mathews bows that come close to the FX though are faster and quieter are the LX, Drenalin, S2, and I prefer the Drenalin LD.
    "Speed is only Velocity without Direction."
    In Memory of Cliff my Bro: Martin Fury, Darton Mt Bow, Triumph, Drenalin LD, Conquest 3, Monster 7
    **Ohio Division of Wildlife Hunter Ed. Instructor, NRA Life Member, Free Mason**
    Romans 12:1-21, Matthew 5:1-20

Try as many different bows as you can. Make sure the dealers set it up to your draw length and weight. Take your FX with you and compare apples to apples. The bow will pick you!

Don't get hung up on cam types either. With a quality set of strings timing etc, is a dinosaur. If we had todays strings, years ago, the solo cam would have been aborted. Singles, duals, cam 1/2s, and binaries all work well.
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Fan View Post
    One thing about many of todays bows is the fact that you can find a smooth easy drawing bow, drop down in draw weight, and still match the performance of your current rig. This may be easier on your shoulder and joints. Nothing wrong with your Mathews FX though so you just need to determine need vs want and what its worth to you. Won't hurt to go test a bunch to see if its what you really want to do.
    Ditto that

The FX is a great little bow. The only snivel I had with it was that the sight window was a tad short. That's not necessarily a problem that everyone will have though because there are so many variables in form/shot execution etc. I found the FX to be very accurate for such a short bow, and used it to set a course record score at the Toronto Sportsman's Show indoor 3D. The combination of a straight riser and non-parallel limbs made it quite forgiving to shoot. This combination also made it a very light weight bow, at 3.25 pounds bare. You'll notice a big difference with any of the newer parallel limb bows that use a radically reflexed riser to position the limbs correctly. As with everything in archery, there's no free lunch... you have to give something to get something. A lot of the newer bows are faster than the FX (310) but the draw cycles may be less desirable, though the parallel limbs transmit much less hand shock to the shooter than the FX.
    I too would recommend a bow at least 34" long for your draw length. I'd suggest looking at the Mathews Drenalin LD (37" x 7" 315 IBO) or maybe a Mathews Apex 7 (37 x 7 320 IBO). The Apex 7 has a lot of things in common with your FX. You might also consider an Elite GT500 (34 7/8 x 7 1/8 338 IBO), or an Elite XLR (37 X 8.5 315 IBO).
    Walk softly and carry a sharp stick...

BALLISTIC BOWSTRINGS

I currently have Limbsavers on my FX's limbs and string along with a Doinker stabilizer. I see that Limbsaver has cable supressors. Can this be an improvement on my FX. Can't put on a string stop because the FX doesn't have another hole for it. I'm starting to think that I will keep my FX and just add some accessories to settle it down a little more since I shoot good with it.

Thumbs up

For my FX I have Cabela's S3 (String Suppression System...$39.99) + a Big Jax Guide Rod Dampener.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2003 Mathews FX that I have as my backup bow. I bought Cabela's String Suppressor, which mounts on front of the riser behind the stabilizer & I attached a bowjax rod stabilizer........boy, did it reduce hand shock! I love the FX's wood grain "Competition Grip" (still my favorite grip). A year ago, I "test drove" many new and slightly used bows. I wasn't going to buy another bow unless I could gain at least 20fps IBO, have a smooth draw, 34" or less ATA for tree stand hunting, and not pay more than $400-$500. I ended up buying a slightly used one year old Hoyt Vulcan, ATA 33", IBO 325fps (vs FX's 305fps), BH is only 6", but feels like 7", and 75 ftpds of Ke vs 63 ftpds with my FX. I've slain 7 whitetail with the Vulcan last fall. It's the smoothest & most powerful 70# bow I've shot, next to Hoyt's Katera, AlpaMax 32 & 35 and the new Elite's, but this is a personal preference. Go & "test drive" many different bows. You'll find the one that feels good in your hands and shoots well for you specifically. But by all means keep that FX as your backup (I did and my 18 year old has expressed interest in bow hunting, which the FX with adjustable draw length Cam will probably be his one day). Good Luck. Hope my rampling helped a fellow archer/bowhunter.
    '09 Elite GT500, 68#, 28.5" DL, SH Real Deal 5 x 0.19, Limbdriver, 376g 27" GT Expedition Hunters 5575 w/ Blazers @ 300fps (75ft/lbs KE), '07 Hoyt Vulcan, 67# @ 28.5" DL, SH Real Deal 5 x 0.19, Limbdriver, 406g 29" GT XT Hunter 7595 w/ 3" Fusions @ 280fps (71ft/lbs KE), 100g Slick Trick Mags, 2 blade Rage,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast