Thread: question about dicalcium phosphate

question about dicalcium phosphate

I can't find dicalcium phosphate to purchase for my mineral sites. Does anyone know where I can purchase this? If not, is there an alternative that I can use? If not, can I make my mineral site w/ just the granulated trace mineral and the granulated stock salt?

thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by shawn Q View Post
    I can't find dicalcium phosphate to purchase for my mineral sites. Does anyone know where I can purchase this? If not, is there an alternative that I can use? If not, can I make my mineral site w/ just the granulated trace mineral and the granulated stock salt?

thanks for any help
    Don't go to your local chain feed store (tractor supply, orschelins). Head to where the farmers go for their feed/additives, they generally either have it on hand, or will have them throw a bag on their next truck.

I think you can make your mineral site out of just the trace/rock, but it doesn't provide much nutritional value for your animals, it'd just be an attractant. Then again I'm not a biologist....

Also add granulated molasses to your mix it will make them come to it even quicker, add it to it and you will see why i almost want to eat it how sweet it smells.

I bought everything I needed at Soutern States. If you can't find Di-calcium phosphate you can buy some sheep and goat minerals it has it add into it along with other trace minerals. My recipe is a little different than most on here but it works great.
    1 1/2 scoop of trace minerals
    1 scoop dicalcium phosphate
    1 scoop sheep goat minerals
    1 scoop dried molassess

I hope you can find what you need. If you can't find the dicalcium phosphate I think you could just put out the trace minerals. Like stated in another post I think it would be more of a attractant but you can keep looking for di-calcium phosphate and refreshen your site when you can find it.
    Good Luck

Your local farm store should have everything you need ..watch out though the di-cal has sky rocketed in the last year. I paid I think 13.70 for 50# last year and this year its up 47.60 for 50#

Quote Originally Posted by baz77 View Post
    Your local farm store should have everything you need ..watch out though the di-cal has sky rocketed in the last year. I paid I think 13.70 for 50# last year and this year its up 47.60 for 50#
    I just paid 17$, maybe it's come back down.

I paid $26 for 50lb. A few years ago it was $12. WOW

I saw that somebody mentioned on another thread that these homemade recipes don't work with a sandy soil. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    Bowtech Invasion
    HHA Sight
    QAD Ultra Rest Pro
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Grim Reaper Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by huntnFiend View Post
    I saw that somebody mentioned on another thread that these homemade recipes don't work with a sandy soil. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Sounds kinda ridiculous to me. Either deer need minerals or they don't. Either way I think they'd like the salt.

only one

Quote Originally Posted by huntnFiend View Post
    Maybe it gets washed through real sand easy when it rains.

I have soil that is about 1/2 sand or better with no problems.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by car View Post
    I paid $26 for 50lb. A few years ago it was $12. WOW
    Maybe they saw me comming I know for everything I paid 67.00 and some change..

Quote Originally Posted by studlydj01 View Post
    Also add granulated molasses to your mix it will make them come to it even quicker, add it to it and you will see why i almost want to eat it how sweet it smells.
    I'll second this. Had deer on my lick the first night.

It does smell sweet too, doesn't taste quite as sweet as it smells.....

Quote Originally Posted by BCFrye_Kansas View Post
    doesn't taste quite as sweet as it smells.....
    its funny you mention that.....apple "flavored" buck jam doesnt taste ANYTHING what it smells like either LOLOLOL
    Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Purina

Just have your Purina dealer get a bag of Antlermax mineral in. 100 Years of research, proven results, and about $15 a bag. Just dump it on the ground and be done.
    Steve (Bartman)
    Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ, and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. So make sure you pray for our soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman3562 View Post
    Just have your Purina dealer get a bag of Antlermax mineral in. 100 Years of research, proven results, and about $15 a bag. Just dump it on the ground and be done.
    Once again, not a biologist, but same thing. Purina's touting their 2:1 calcium to phospherous ratio.....uh, what do you think Di-Cal is. Total with dried molasses I spent 45$ for 250lbs(includes 50lbs of molasses). Purina 15$ for 25lbs. 150$ or 45$............

I just put out a mineral site, and could not find di-cal either. I used a 50# bag of cattel minerals with a 2:1 cal to phos ratio, mixed with a 50# bag of stock salt. I was going to use the trace mineral salt, but I had a biologist tell me it really wasn't worth it since it was about 98% salt. He said the deer would have to consume a ton of it to get any benefit, and it wasn't worth buying. Considering he owns the local feed store and could have just as easily sold me the trace mineral salt (which costs more than the stock salt), I figured it was pretty good advice.