a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: broadheads that fly like field points

broadheads that fly like field points

whats everyone experience with a good broadhead that flies like a field tip? mechanical or fixed

Muzzy if you want fixed.

Rage if you want expandable.

Both will fly just like your field points (assuming your bow is in tune and grouping well). I have had great success with both of them out to 60 yards. The Muzzy heads are rock solid and will give you worry free use day in and day out. The Rages require more care and blade replacements, but I have fallen in love with the massive entry/exit holes I am getting.
    '08 PSE X-Force 28" draw 60 lbs 370gr 298fps 73ft/lbs KE
    Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, Trophy Ridge Alpha 5 V-pin, Trophy Ridge ShockBlock stabilizer, Vibracheck string suppressor, Cabelas Elite Stalkers w/ Blazers, Muzzy 100gr 3-blade

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter3241 View Post
    Muzzy if you want fixed.

Rage if you want expandable.

Both will fly just like your field points (assuming your bow is in tune and grouping well). I have had great success with both of them out to 60 yards. The Muzzy heads are rock solid and will give you worry free use day in and day out. The Rages require more care and blade replacements, but I have fallen in love with the massive entry/exit holes I am getting.
    I agree with all of that except for the Muzzy flying like a field tip. They do their job, and are super dependable/durable, but their flight is not as great as other fixed blades. I would say that Slick Tricks are the best flying fixed blades that i have shot. Dont get me wrong, muzzy makes one heck of a head, and they do the trick, ive used them forever lol, but there are many better flying heads out there.

Derek
    Shooting: it's what you should be doing instead of reading this.

Broadheads that fly like fieldpoints

All broadheads, mechanical or not, are going to fly a little different than fieldpoints. Some mechanicals are better than others. A lot of the guys shooting Rage broadheads love them.

As for fixed-blade broadheads, I like Slick Tricks. I did a lot of research on here and it seems to be the most favored fixed-blade broadhead. I went with Slick Tricks and have never looked back. Great Flight. I hope this helps.

I agree about muzzy broadheads, durable and work but don't fly like field points. Some people don't like them but I have always had good luck with thunderheads and montecs.

Rages really do fly like field tips. I dont care what anyone says lol... Ive shot them 60yards (not exagerating here) and they grouped right with my field tips. Cant beat that

Derek
    Shooting: it's what you should be doing instead of reading this.

For fixed blades Slick Tricks always hit close for me, usually within two inches at 40 yards through an untuned bow. They do what they're meant to do, so I have no complaints.

I'm really interested in Epek broadheads though, and if they do a work as they are advertised, I will use them for all my hunting including bear, elk, varios species of deer, and small game.

I have personally never had a broadhead that i could not get to fly like my field tips. For a fixed blade head my favorites are shuttle tlocks, g5 strikers, and the slick tricks. for a mechanical hands down grim reaper have the best head. The undertaker/piston point are also a decent head. I won't shoot rage for i do not like now easily they open up, and just don't like the design of the head. They work awesome when they work but there are too many if's to get to that point for me. i personally think they are about the most over rated broadhead out there, but like i said before when they work they do a lot and i mean a lot of damage.
    For Sale: DNA with full throttle cams, 27.75" amo draw 59 lbs 408 gn arrow at 293 fps
    For Sale: Supra(50, 60, or 70#) with short now madness limbs, 27.75" 73 lbs 408 gn arrow at 308 fps

magnus snuffer ss or slick tricks fly great for fixed heads for me

Slick tricks. I have the slick trick mags and now that i got my bow tuned as good as i possibly can, they hit right there with my FP's. If your bow is tuned, slick tricks fly like darts.
    Arctic Archers of Alaska

Innerloc Falcons

I'm not a mechanical braodhead guy, I've shot muzzys for years and liked them very much. Shot the ABC sonics last year and killed some deer, they flew nice. At the end of the year I picked up some Innerloc Falcons, WOW they really fly nice at 300fps. Have not shot the slick tricks, but have heard good things.

Slick Tricks

SLICK TRICKS!!!! Hands down, the best flying BH I've shot. I actually can HONESTLY say I feel as confident with a ST on the end of my arrow as I do with a FP on the end.
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

I've been bowhunting since 1982 and have not found a broadhead yet that will not fly with my field points.

As long as the broadhead is straight, the arrows are inserted correctly and square to the shaft, and when assembled everything spins true. Now some broadheads do require much more tinkering around to get the desired results, but they do shoot good if they spin good.

Some of the posts about Muzzy say they won't shoot the same. I shot them for a few years and they shoot good as long as you tune them. I have had to try different blades and screw on tips to get them to spin good, and I've never had a whole pack that would spin good.

Thunderheads are better out of the box IMO. But you still have to tune each arrow and broadhead.

Steelforce always seem to spin good out of the box without much messing around.

Haven't tried very many mechanicals. My dad shoots the Rage 3 blade and I've shot them at the target and they seem to shoot good.

I would like to try the slick tricks. Hear lots of good things about them.

Tune your bow, tune your arrow and broadhead, and you will be fine as long as they are sharp.

Like a field point

Quote Originally Posted by drockw View Post
    I agree with all of that except for the Muzzy flying like a field tip. They do their job, and are super dependable/durable, but their flight is not as great as other fixed blades. I would say that Slick Tricks are the best flying fixed blades that i have shot. Dont get me wrong, muzzy makes one heck of a head, and they do the trick, ive used them forever lol, but there are many better flying heads out there.

Derek
    A very well tuned bow and good form are key. Also arrow speed, I found over 280 fps the fixed braodheads are all over. I like down range punch power. I'm hiting 80.1 ft KE at 20 yards. I shoot a heavy arrow which is slower and makes the bow quieter. I have shot all the brands and they all shoot better slower. Now I am shooting the Crimson Talon. Love the blood trail they leave plus I can shoot a field point into my 3D and they follow it the the broadhead and cut off a vane on the fieldpoint arrow. Thats pretty close to like a field point. I can get most fixed braodheads to fly like that but the Crison Talon hooked me because of the price and the preformance.
    "Just passin' thru @ 300+ FPS"

Quote Originally Posted by deerwhackmaster View Post
    whats everyone experience with a good broadhead that flies like a field tip? mechanical or fixed
    Grim Reaper mechanicals

I have used G5 Tekans for several years and I don't bother adjusting anything when I switch from target to hunting points. I have used thunderheads and found they required slight pin adjustment.

Fixed Blade Slick Trick 85gr. and for Mechanical Rocket Wolverines 75gr. I'm now going to shoot Grim Reapers 85gr. but haven't really had to chance to test them fully.
    Obsession Phoenix, & Sniper
    HHA 5519 Sights, QAD Rest, Easton Axis & GT Arrows
    Trophy Ridge MiniBlasters & Slick Trick
    Dead Center & Pine Ridge Stabilizers

the ones shot from a well tuned bow
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo Blacked Out
    2011 Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    2010 Strothers Infinity
    If you can hunt it with a bow, I will!!!!!!

Slickricks, G5 Montecs for me.
    TRU-FLIGHT CUSTOM ARROWS LLC
    Dealer for the following great products: Victory, Black Eagle Arrows, Harvest Time, Bohning, Spot-Hogg, Trophy Taker, Muzzy, Vantage Point, S4 Gear, Blacks Creek Guide Gear, Rip-Cord,
    ASAT CAMO, Vendetta Stabilizers, MT. Black Gold
    NEW BREED STAFF

End of story

Rocket 75 grain Wolverine. Screw it on and go hunting. Never, ever had one not spin test right out of the box---NEVER! I did have a head one time not screw in but that was because the insert was messed up. They shoot just like my field points out to 110 yards--no bull. I see no difference at all-- The point is sharp and it gets a good start with penetration before the heads deploy thus decreasing the chance of deflection upon contact. Check them out for yourself. Their cheaper too, roughly $23 per 3. I've got six packages of Rage 2" at $39 dollars a pop for 3. I don't trust them. They have a tendancy to open up in your quiver and I promise you that will ruin your hunt at the wrong time. I place 1 in my quiver for setting in my tree stand and I expect short range shots that I have time to keep my eye on the head so it doesn't inadvertantly open. They do make massive wounds though.I've used just about everything out there and Thunderheads are fairly consistant but the blades are wimpy. The Muzzy's are stout and a good value. I will be trying the Slick Trick. It looks like the aerodynamics are exceptional just not a very big hole. I also see a few more high dollar heads that look promising but why bother when the Wolverines are perfect and are cheaper??

broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by deerwhackmaster View Post
    slick trick and shuttle t locs, both fly great out of my bow.

I've only used one mechanical - Wasp Jackhammer SST. They flew perfectly.

As for fixed blade - I prefer the Magnus buzzcut. My first shot with them at 30 yards was dead on. Muzzy's are good too. I just like being able to resharpen them without having to change blades. Shoot whatever you want as long as you have confidence in them. A fisherman once said that every lure will catch fish...to some degree.

ABC sonic pros
    ATHENS FACTORY STAFF SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by drockw View Post
    Rages really do fly like field tips. I dont care what anyone says lol... Ive shot them 60yards (not exagerating here) and they grouped right with my field tips. Cant beat that

Derek
    all my research says the same
    thunderheads was my best fixed blade.....screwed them all in arrows with bow tuned ,but rages was in the top of the list followed by thunderheads.
    WHITETAILS, WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
    CLOSE SHOT ARTIST

PSE AXE7--PSE DNA

I have only shot fixed blade broadheads. The ones that have worked well for me have been the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. They fly great, not exactly like a field point, for me they hit about an inch to the right of my field points no change in elevation. Magnus also has a great warranty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast