Thread: turkey roosting question

turkey roosting question

OK folks, new turkey hunter here. Do tom turkeys generally roost in the same vicinty every night? Example...this morning I was out scouting and listening.Heard a tom gobbling at daybreak and flew down and headed off gobbling a good bit. My IL. season starts in the morning. Will that tom work his way back to the same area to roost again,or will he just take up a roost wherever he may happen to end up at sunset?
    Gonna go back out this evening to listen for him. Would you suggest listening in the same area he was this morning, or listen more off the way he went this morning?
    Also,a very experienced turkey hunter told me in the evenings he'll blow on a harmonica to get tom to gobble. Said they'll gobble there head off at that.Anybody heard of that?
    Any tips at all on turkey hunting will be appreciated !

Proud Hoyt Vector 32 shooter !

Even prouder Christian,husband,and dad !

most of the time they will roost in the same tree.....where we hunt there is one large whiteoak...and i mean its huge that sits in the corner of this huge feild....they have been roosting in it for years overlooking this large feild...we normally set up before daylight about 100 yards from them in a row of brush and sprouts and we have killed no tellin how many birds from that same spot
    Hoyt Carbon spyder turbo
    Trophy taker Smackdown pro
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
    B-stinger stabs

Generally they will roost in the same location unless they are in search of hens. I would go back to the same spot.

Definitely go back to that same spot and setup about 100 yards away. If you know the direction they will go after the fly down try and position yourself that they will pass by you. I would not call too much if at all in the morning. Sometimes the hens will take the Tom's away from the callling.

If you go out and call tonight don't be put off if they don't call back. They don't always call back in the evening.

same general area and will move if chasing hens
    just had the monster i was watching move a couple miles ! maybe someone scared it?
    but its definitly him or 2 turkeys with 1 1/2 spurs

"Success comes when preparation meets opportunity."

Check out New England Hunting Group on Facebook !

I find they roost in the same area unless distrubed, but not the same tree, especially easterns, they seem to drifters.
    Wildlife Farmer

The birds around here seem to roost in the same area all the time. As long as you dont disturb that area to much at dawn and dusk they keep coming back.
    04.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sys1mxb View Post
    definitely go back to that same spot and setup about 100 yards away. If you know the direction they will go after the fly down try and position yourself that they will pass by you. I would not call too much if at all in the morning. Sometimes the hens will take the tom's away from the callling.

If you go out and call tonight don't be put off if they don't call back. They don't always call back in the evening.
    +1+1

thanks for the info guys. Went back out this evening to watch and listen. I was glassing across the field and did see a bird roosted right at sunset. I think it was a hen. Couldn't tell for sure because of the shadows,but it looked to have a blue colored head. Did hear one tom gobble right at dark,but it was way off in the distance and not where i'd heard a tom this morning. I'm hoping that tom I heard this morning is roosted close by. Did see a lot of fresh tracks in the mud.
    Wish me luck!
    Proud Hoyt Vector 32 shooter !

Even prouder Christian,husband,and dad !

I think it depends on the area! Will BOB the turkey roost in the same tree/ area every nite? I doubt it! Will other turkeys use Bobs favorite tree/ area every nite? Probably! I (as I type !) Have a few roosted about 20 yd.s off my yard! (to the south!) 2 nites ago they were about 20 yd.s off my yard to the East!! Favorite roost sites/trees are easy to find in the daytime! Just look for lotsa Turk poop!!
    IBA-LIFE MEMBER