Thread: Arrow Length/Stability

Arrow Length/Stability

How does arrow length affect stability particularly with broadheads? Do longer arrows stabilize better with a fixed blade broadhead?

The reason for my question is that I have recently changed bows which will allow me to reduce my arrow length from 28.5 down to about 26". Ignoring arrow weight (which I realize is relevant), I am curious if I can get as good of flight out of a shorter arrow, or continue shooting the same length. If I shoot a shorter length, but select a heaver per inch arrow, do I gain anything?

Thanks for your input.

You will get as good, possibly better, flight from a short arrow as a long one, assuming that arrow spine is still in the optimal range. Randy Ulmer actually suggests using arrows in the 26" range becuase he believes they are more accurate at longer ranges in crosswinds. But the issue will be to get the spine right...if you cut your 28.5" shafts down to 26" they might be to stiff, but probably not...
    Black Widow PSA
    Goldtip Traditionals
    Simmons Treesharks

Arrow shaft stabilization if provided by your choice of fletching. The amount of work they have to do is dependent on finding the correct spine arrow for your setup and your ability to tune.

Lots of variable in the question you pose. I would suggest getting yourself a archery program. Then you can monkey with all the variables before you start experimenting with your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by austin-josey View Post
    How does arrow length affect stability particularly with broadheads? Do longer arrows stabilize better with a fixed blade broadhead?

The reason for my question is that I have recently changed bows which will allow me to reduce my arrow length from 28.5 down to about 26". Ignoring arrow weight (which I realize is relevant), I am curious if I can get as good of flight out of a shorter arrow, or continue shooting the same length. If I shoot a shorter length, but select a heaver per inch arrow, do I gain anything?

Thanks for your input.
    If all else is equal, then the shorter arrow will stabilize better, because it will increase the front of center balence of the arrow.