a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Alaskan Compound.

Smile Bear Alaskan Compound.

I just bought a compound bow on ebay called the bear alaskan.
    It has a wood riser and composite limbs. I have never seen a bear bow with this type of wood riser. I did some research and happened across Bill Stewart's custom bow site and there I found the riser that sits on this bear compound bow. This bow must be a great find because I can't find any reference to this bow excepted on bill's website stating that he went back to bear archery for seven years and redesigned this bow with some others for Fred Bear.
    Awesome!!!! I bought it for 41.00 bucks.

If anybody else has any info on this compound bow please let me know.
    I will be shooting this bow and need to make sure it is in top condition.

Sure would like to see a pic. The four wheel Bear Alaskans from the seventies that I'm familiar with didn't have wooden risers........

heres the pic

heres the pic the last owner said it shoot 212fps with 125gr tip and 31in arrow off the flipper rest. That's fast for a 1980's compound.
    This must be a special edition. Butt I don't know. Hope some one can give me more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here's the other pic

composite limb with alaskan writen on it.

Thanks. I don't remember that one. The Alaskan I remember was a four wheeler 44or 46" long with a black cast riser and recurve limbs and round wheels. It was a Cadillac in it's day....

By reading

by reading on Bill Stewarts website it says he came back to fred bear for another 7yrs after being gone to howatt and wing and redesigned this bow and kodiak, grizzily and some others. I never seen this bow anywhere else.

In the late eighties Bear made the Alaskan II which had a riser (laminated hardrock maple)that looks a lot like yours but it had Bear's GFN cams. The Alaskan II had a 44" ata and was available with 45/60lb,55/70lb draw weight.
    Darton Tundra Extreme
    Centerest Flipper
    XX75 2315

this bow according to the owner you can replace the string without using a bow press.

This is a bear alaskan 2

just got the sheet on this bow from bear archery. It is a Alaskan ll .
    I wonder why the limb only says Alaskan an not Alaskan ll on it.
    Here the fact sheets.

I don't believe your bow has GFN cams. Are your cams metal?
    Darton Tundra Extreme
    Centerest Flipper
    XX75 2315

supposedly. They look metal. I should have my bow by tomarrow.

Metal cams G.F.N.

55-70 lbs. 28-31in draw length. I do not have the other mods but this is set exactly the way I want it. I will send pic of the finished bow soon.

I too have a Bear Alaskan.Riser looks a little different though.Would like to get a copy of spec sheet.

email bear archery with your pic

If you email bear archery with your picture they will email you a fact sheet on it.

Before and after Bear Alaskan ll compound bow

Here is the after pics so far !!

I will e-mail for fact sheet. Mine does look the same and LH. My limbs were painted though. Did receive Serial # from previous owner. Thanks for info.

very nice job cleaning that up s.a.w., looks good .

Thanks Matthew. I spent three days on the riser along. The riser was designed by Bill Stewart.

bump

I have a LH model..

Does anyone know where I can get a RH Riser for it.....Im Right handed.....or I will sell my LH model........

Bill Stewart's Website

Get on bill stewart's website and e-mail them. I fear if you find one It will be
    pricey.

Bear alaskan

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.w. View Post
    I just bought a compound bow on ebay called the bear alaskan.
    It has a wood riser and composite limbs. I have never seen a bear bow with this type of wood riser. I did some research and happened across Bill Stewart's custom bow site and there I found the riser that sits on this bear compound bow. This bow must be a great find because I can't find any reference to this bow excepted on bill's website stating that he went back to bear archery for seven years and redesigned this bow with some others for Fred Bear.
    Awesome!!!! I bought it for 41.00 bucks.

If anybody else has any info on this compound bow please let me know.
    I will be shooting this bow and need to make sure it is in top condition.
    I had one back in the 70's it had 4 wheels and 2 pylons, and the riser was cast aluminum. It was 80 # 30 inch draw, adjustable let off 25or 50%.
    There is one hanging on the wall at Archery World in Vancouver Washington

To swa

The pictures that you showed of your bow looks like some one recabled it and did not uthe correct string length as the tear drop is to close to the wheel and looks like it is hitting the wheel.

I used to hold in store demo's for Bear archery. And I still have and shoot the Alaskan compound bow or let's say -- did! I took a lot of deer with my bow until old age and shoulder problems set in. Was currently using the bow for bowfishing at reduced poundage. But the lower limb broke.

For it's day, this was the best bow on the market. Very user friendly, easy to adjust and change cables or the string on. The bow was made in both hunting and target models. I had both.

The limbs were laminated and had a metal riser.

To the guy who has the left hand model! I'm left handed and in deep need of limbs. I hate to toss this bow as it has a lot of history. State champ metals, Reginal trophys, deer, carp, gar and a turkey. I still have the old manual for it.

The old manual even listed set up info for other compounds such as Allen, Carroll, Jennings, Precision, and Wing.

For me, the best features of the Alaskan was in the numbered wheels and ratchet cable adjustment for each limb. Bear was ahead of the game back then in my opinion.

Good shooting to you all,

Bill

Cool

Yes I had A 38" inch string on it and it should have been a 37"inch string. I did notice that the star yoke adjuster has been changed with some other adjuster wheel with no adjustment on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skip5515 View Post
    The pictures that you showed of your bow looks like some one recabled it and did not uthe correct string length as the tear drop is to close to the wheel and looks like it is hitting the wheel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast