Thread: Legality of shooting in backyard

Legality of shooting in backyard

I've tried to find some answers specific to Los Angeles, but no luck. Maybe someone here would know. Is it legal to shoot in your backyard in Los Angeles. I'm moving off campus next school year and would love to not have to drive half an hour to and from the range to shoot.

No it is not. It is not legal to discharge a firearm in city limits.
    3D
    Dedication
    Determination
    Desire

That's what I was afraid of, thanks for the help.

Are bows firearms though? i thought that only applied to guns?

I've asked around for norcal, and it seems as long as you have friendly neighbors, it's fine

1/2 hour driving is not too bad.
    Hoyt Matrix+ BLACK 28.5" 60Lb 329grn 297fps
    Hoyt CST 29" 61Lb 375grn 295fps / 320grn at 316fps

I know the driving isn't too bad, but it's in LA traffic, which means that it could be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half, with no real reason as to why traffic is worse on a certain day. It'd be nice to be able to shoot in my backyard, if we get a house off campus.

Quote Originally Posted by vanrose View Post
    Are bows firearms though? i thought that only applied to guns?

I've asked around for norcal, and it seems as long as you have friendly neighbors, it's fine
    Not firearms but some if not all counties consider them as dangerous weapons.

You can shoot in your backyard in Riverside County...most county land is OK...just not in the city limits in most cities.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEKILLA View Post
    Not firearms but some if not all counties consider them as dangerous weapons.
    not true, many county's due consider a bow a firearm. Usually a definition of a firearm is clearly explained in your county's ordinances. I say if you have the room, and you don't make a big hairy deal of it, and your safe, go for it.

Think it's legal

Only ordinance I could find in Santa Barbara was a prohibition from shooting on any public property or park, unless at an organized and approved event.
    Regardless, keep it low key and be safe. If the neighbors call the cops, you'll likely end up answering to an officer who has no idea what the archery rules are either. There is a real chance you'd lose your bow for awhile.

The California DOJ website will define a firearm for you...just visit the site...bows in California are not firearms as defined by the California Attorney General...where I live I do not worry to much,
    San Bernardino County and Riverside County is OK with it...
    at any rate like other have said keep it real low and safe, because if you do end up talking to a officer about it they might not understand anything about archery.

How I found out in Riverside County I had a deputy visit my house after a nosey neighbor called them...he had no problem with what we were doing and went and told the neighbor there was nothing he could do.

Quote Originally Posted by 909bowsniper View Post
    The California DOJ website will define a firearm for you...just visit the site...bows in California are not firearms as defined by the California Attorney General...where I live I do not worry to much,
    San Bernardino County and Riverside County is OK with it...
    at any rate like other have said keep it real low and safe, because if you do end up talking to a officer about it they might not understand anything about archery.

How I found out in Riverside County I had a deputy visit my house after a nosey neighbor called them...he had no problem with what we were doing and went and told the neighbor there was nothing he could do.
    ditto ,i live in LA county and it's all about common sense and good neighbors. in my backyard i have an 8ft block wall behind my target with a tree covered slope that leads up to a church parking lot. i have talked to my neighbors and they think it's cool . i have ducks , squirrels and even coyotes stop in while im practicing but i wouldn't dream of shooting one. that would only jeopardize everything.

I love in Northern CA, so I have no idea what the rules would be in LA. But rather than guessing, I would suggest you call your local police station and ask. I called mine - the desk person did not know, but a patrol officer called me back. He said it was ok as long as I did not shoot crossbows. I live in a small town, so maybe you won't get a quick response, but the cops should know.

You should be able to look it up online by going to their website and looking for a link or download of the ordinances. My city ordinance is against discharging a weapon in the city.
    "Huh, dude...I think we got hit by a big boat...Hey, quit bogarting the bowl, dude...why am I wet?..." -hdracer

Staples Sucks I Use Office Depot

That sucks. Same way here, illegal to discharge a weapon. I can't shoot in my backyard either.

In Sacramento County it is legal to shoot a bow in your backyard. You are responsible if the the "arrow leaves your yard" according to the county ordinance and you could be cited. You just need an appropriate backstop.

You need to look in either your city's or county's ordinance depending on where you live. It is not covered in the penal code.