Thread: Fixed vs. Fall Away Arrow Rest

Fixed vs. Fall Away Arrow Rest

Greetings All,

I am beginning to plan out a new target bow for field, indoor, and 3D shooting. I've figured out what I want as far as bow, arrows, sights, etc. but I had a question about the arrow rest.

I don't want to start a flame war, so I'm wondering, what is the most common for a target bow--a fixed arrow rest or a fall away arrow rest? What are the advantages/disadvantages for each type?

Thanks again for the help!

For target, fixed lizard tongue/blade launchers seem to be the most prevalent. The Brite Site Pro Tuner and the Trophy Taker Spring Steel launchers are both really good. The advantage is consistency and no chance of ever breaking down.
    "Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall!" -- Christopher Hitchens

personally I like a drop away for target shooting

Cool Drop Away

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    personally I like a drop away for target shooting
    Me too

The only downside IMO to a lizard toungue is when its windy I always have trouble keeping the arrow on the the blade, But its not going to keep me from shooting one. I personally shot a Spot Hogg Premier and it works awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by ctmartinshooter View Post
    For target, fixed lizard tongue/blade launchers seem to be the most prevalent. The Brite Site Pro Tuner and the Trophy Taker Spring Steel launchers are both really good. The advantage is consistency and no chance of ever breaking down.
    +1 hard to beat either rest for ease of tuning and failsafe durability

Quote Originally Posted by grey squirrel View Post
    Me too
    me 3

The target guys around me swear by the Pro Tuner because they can easily adjust it on the fly if they need to because of the weather outside. I think there are a couple of drop aways that have micro adjust on them for this purpose as well, so it really just comes down to choice. I know since I have moved from a steel to a drop away my scores have gone up, that could just be from practicing though!
    Rhino
    California
    2007 X-Force HF6 / 2010 Moneymaker LF
    28"/53 lbs

I use a limbdriver rest for target and hunting. I'm not saying it is the best,but I'm happy and won't be switching anytime soon.
    Mathews Creed 29.5/70 blacked out. Black eagle Rampage arrows.

I've actually been looking between the Limbdriver for a FA rest and the Pro Tuner. I'm still unsure though. It seems that the fall away rests might have a problem with the consistency of how it falls? I've never used a fall away, so I don't really know. Any opinions on that?

Eventually, I'll probably try both and see which shoots more accurately. After all, isn't that what a target bow is for?

Well I usually make it a point when shooting at the Vegas shoot to see what most are shooting. I would guess that 80-85% of the compound target shooters there are shooting some sort of fixed blade. Very few drop aways. I have shot both and prefer the fixed blade rest. I have watched some slow motion videos of both and was not impressed with drop aways. I just didn't see any benefit unless you are having some sort of fletching contact on the rest. And if you are then just turn the nock. The great thing is we have a choice and can shoot what we want. One of my all time favorite rest was the Bodoodle pro 500.

Thanks for your input everyone. It seems, both on here and through the locals that I've talked to, that fixed, blade style rests are the most common. Thanks for the help!