Thread: Recommend Base Layer

Recommend Base Layer

Not sure if this should have gone in the Evaluations forum, but here goes. I am going to be treestand-bowhunting in Illinois in mid November -mid December. I hear I should get a good synthetic base layer for the cold days.

Anybody want to recommend a good choice, including comments on comfort and value?

Thanks all,

Crawdad
    Mathews Drenalin, Limb driver rest, Flashpoint Solaris sight, Vapor Trail strings, Gold tip 5575, Snuffers + Buzzcuts

Merino wool all the way...buy some quality clothing(I use Justin Charles) in 3 different weights and you will be nice and warm.

I was very happy last year with my layering combo:

UA cold gear
    Cabelas Polartec expedition weight

Bowhunted MI and IL and stayed very warm.
    In Between.....

NOTHING but merino wool. If you want an honest review as I would fight till the end with woolpower from Richard @ king of the mountain. Not the cheapest around but boy does it work
    2013 PSE Omen Max Crackerized

Monster Raxx Shooting Staff ** Hips Targets Pro Staff **U-Slide Shooting Staff
    **DLC Camera Pro Staff ** Bow Rattler Shooting Staff

another vote or under armour cold gear kept me warm all year!

merino wool all the way
    '07 Tribute, Black Gold Igintion, QAD LD, Octane Stablizer, Full Metal Jackers, Slick Trick Mags

I like expedition weight thermax. I've done a lot of winter climbing in it, too. Check prices at SierraTradingPost.com

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 22jdub View Post

UA cold gear

I love my UA in heat & cold gear
    Romans 5:12

A few months ago cabelas had the wool power 200 on sale (about half price) and I picked it up and used it for some early season turkey hunts in the 20s. That and the wool power 400 will cover everything the midwest can throw at you. Just make sure you have a windproof outer layer.

I use polypropylene as a base layer. Socks, gloves, pants, shirt and balaclava (hood). It transports sweat away from my skin to an outer layer. Dry = warm. It's also a lot cheaper than any of its competition. I recommend friends buy 2 full sets plus extra socks.

http://outersports.com/polypropylene...ing-c-300.html

Merino Wool 100%

Firstlitewool.com has ASAT and black very good products.
    2012 Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Accomplice 34
    Stokerized Stabilizers
    Treewalker Treestands

Polartec expidition weight Power Dry.

Cabelas makes a shirt and pants of it.

A base layer first and formost should wick well.

Power dry advertises that the water travels from the inner layer to the outer and then spreads out and then evaporates. I didn't believe it until I bough it. I have the zip neck long sleeve t shirt and bottoms. They are very warm, and wick sweat very very well!

Quote Originally Posted by wis_archer View Post
    Polartec expidition weight Power Dry.

Cabelas makes a shirt and pants of it.

A base layer first and formost should wick well.

Power dry advertises that the water travels from the inner layer to the outer and then spreads out and then evaporates. I didn't believe it until I bough it. I have the zip neck long sleeve t shirt and bottoms. They are very warm, and wick sweat very very well!
    Great stuff
    I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in somebody else's blood, and i have no problem going out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ibjpn View Post
    Merino Wool 100%

Firstlitewool.com has ASAT and black very good products.
    As a ASAT dealer, ASAT's very own Extreme Base layers are really nice, but they now offer thru us First Lite's merino wool products which are quickly becomming the most requested item i order for people! I need to get some for myself as their product is made of 99% virgin merino wool. Their ad claims that compared to microfiber, wool has superior breathability, superior resistance to burrs, the ability to retain 80% of it's warmth when soaking wet and most importantly does not stink even after days in the field. You can be comfortable in it from 20 degrees and windy to 85 and sunny. Sounds like it could be the best underlayer available to me, and best of all if you need to remove your jacket, it can be your outerlayer in ASAT's camo!
    TROPHY HUNTERS SUPPLY LLC
    Authorized Dealer of: Elite Archery.. PSE..ONEIDA EAGLE.. Xpedition..& OBSESSION Bows- Ten Point.. Scorpyd..& Barnett crossbows-AXT-Carbon Express-Rage-QAD-Tru Fire-Stokerized, KTech Stabilizers-HHA..CBE..& Trijicon Sights- we have many more products, please call! www.trophyhunterssupply.com text to 920-562-0099 sales@trophyhunterssupply.com CALL/TEXT OR EMAIL US FOR FAST REPLIES!! Store number 920-833-BOWS (2697)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thirdypointer View Post
    As a ASAT dealer, ASAT's very own Extreme Base layers are really nice, but they now offer thru us First Lite's merino wool products which are quickly becomming the most requested item i order for people! I need to get some for myself as their product is made of 99% virgin merino wool. Their ad claims that compared to microfiber, wool has superior breathability, superior resistance to burrs, the ability to retain 80% of it's warmth when soaking wet and most importantly does not stink even after days in the field. You can be comfortable in it from 20 degrees and windy to 85 and sunny. Sounds like it could be the best underlayer available to me, and best of all if you need to remove your jacket, it can be your outerlayer in ASAT's camo!
    Awesome stuff, used it last year and will be adding more for 09.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Pine View Post
    I use polypropylene as a base layer. Socks, gloves, pants, shirt and balaclava (hood). It transports sweat away from my skin to an outer layer. Dry = warm. It's also a lot cheaper than any of its competition. I recommend friends buy 2 full sets plus extra socks.

http://outersports.com/polypropylene...ing-c-300.html

Polypropylene Is a great inexpensive choice. My uncle who was an active Army soldier for 20 years introduced me to it. It was issued to them in cold weather situations.

You do not need to get the name brands, nor pay name brand prices!!!

Just make sure it says Polypropylene.

Underarmor.... what a joke! Do they know that I have to work for my money?

UA Cold Gear.... I'm going to be getting the Heat Gear this year to try early season.
    1 Timothy 2
    2013 Hoyt Charger "blacked out"

Quote Originally Posted by akacornelius View Post
    Polypropylene Is a great inexpensive choice. My uncle who was an active Army soldier for 20 years introduced me to it. It was issued to them in cold weather situations.

There's actually something a little better....X-Scent baselayers are the best I've found, and are actually being used by the military under different names. It utilizes a breathability along with an anti-bacterial silver ion thread that helps suppress odor, makes it almost the perfect base layer for us hunters, not wanting to be scented, but also looking for something that is breathable and wicks away our sweat.
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

last year in Illinois I wore a combination and sometimes all together Medalist's or Polarmax's lightweight base layer, then a longer sleeve one, fleece also from Scent-Lok and Sitka's base layers and vest, and Firstlite's merrino wool.

all worked great
    Aim LOW

SEOBowhntr Quote:
    Originally Posted by akacornelius

There's actually something a little better....X-Scent baselayers are the best I've found, and are actually being used by the military under different names. It utilizes a breathability along with an anti-bacterial silver ion thread that helps suppress odor, makes it almost the perfect base layer for us hunters, not wanting to be scented, but also looking for something that is breathable and wicks away our sweat.

# 1 Choice for me! Am looking into insulated bibs and two layer jacket system that has the X-Scent feature. Also am looking at the warm bag as well. Man I wish they had that with the X-Scent feature.