Archery Talk Forum banner

Starting an after school archery club in an elementary school.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mao 
#1 ·
I am looking for some advice. I have been in talks with my principal about starting an after school archery program. I guess I am wondering if there is anyone out their that has done something like this? I have looked at the archery in the schools program and the after school archery program. Our school can not afford to add one of these programs when we are already struggling and students have to pay to play sports. I am looking into writing a grant to try to get some help with equipment. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
Contact a Shop

I recently had a school and a parks department contact me about helping them start an archery program.

Neither had any money so I volunteered my time and equipment to get them started.

One is in it's 7th week and has about 15 kids. They eventually purchased Genesis Bows from the County Funds.

The other starts today, wish me luck!!

Anyway, contact a local archery shop to see if they would help out. I did and it's really rewarding to get youngsters started in the sport.

Marcy Reese
Hunt'N'Shak Archery Center
www.huntnshak.com

#4 ·
Check with NASP directly.

In my area, the Arizona Game and Fish department promotes the NASP program, and my son's school got started with an archery program thanks to AzGFD's program.

The cost to the school? Zero.

NASP may have a free starter program in your area that is run via government grants or donations.

-Steve

#8 ·
I am starting a archery program (Centershot) at our Church. It is part of the NASP program and uses all the NASP rules and equipment. The kids are helping raise the money for the equipment. I think they will appreciate it more when they are the ones raising the money.

#10 ·
Hey MAO keep us informed on how everything goes, I'm pretty close to you and have been thinking of getting something going in my area. I'm not sure how responsive our school board would be to the idea.

If your program takes off so close to us I may be able to get some traction.:thumbs_up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.