Archery Talk Forum banner

ILF limbs and risers and bow wts

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Viper1 
#1 ·
Thinking I might try traditional archery. Are most manufacturers making ILF system limbs? Is the Hoyt system an ILF system like the Dorado?

Since I shoot a pretty light compound bow (50lb) I was thinking it would be best to start with light limbs and then move up in weight. What would be a good limb weight to start with?

Would inexpensive limbs be fine to start with? I am thinking just learning the finger release is a big deal and I would have to spend a lot of time on that.

Thanks

#2 ·
boater -

Hoyt designed the ILF limb coupling decades ago and freely allowed anyone to use it.

The Dorado and Gamemasters do not use ILF couplings without modification. Remember the ILF part is technically the coupling system, NOT the limb design.

Depending on how much work you want to do, it might be easier to get a fctory ILF riser and yes, inexpensive limbs would be fine to start with. The Hoyt Excel and Stratix limbs are fine, and I've heard good things about the Flute limbs, but haven't personally shot them.

When choosing limb weight, the marked weight is typically dependent of riser length with std ILF limbs being rated on a 25" riser, with the weight increasing by roughly 1# per inch you remove from the riser. (A 40# pair of limbs on a 25" riser would be 42# on a 23" riser ans 44# on a 21" riser... etc.)

Also consider your compound holding weight and not peak weight when going to a stickbow. Doubling the compound holding weight plus a couple of pounds is as good a start as any.

Viper1 out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply but I still don't quite understand. When someone sells ILF limbs do they then come with ILF couplings? So are all limbs the same except for the couplings?

And then I guess it follows that an ILF riser is made to use ILF couplings?

Sorry for the ignorance but I have never even seen a modern recurve up close.

I didn't know about the limb wt vs riser ht but it makes sense thanks.

Are used limbs ok they seem to be quite available. I was thinking about picking a riser and then maybe buying some used 30# limbs or something like that wt with the eventual goal of shooting a hunting wt set of limbs....if I decide I like shooting traditional.

tnx

#4 ·
Boater -

By definition an ILF means the coupling system. By connotation it can be the limb design itself, in the "connotative" case of an ILF limb meaning an Olympic limb. You can take an ILF Olympic limb and change the coupling hardware and allow it to fit a Dorado or Gamemaster riser (a little more involved that that, but do-able), or modify certain non-ILF risers to accept ILF couplings. Yeah, it can get confusing when you don't have the stuff right in front of you!

Below is a schematic of an ILF coupling system. Hope it helps.

Viper1 out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.