Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Elk Units for Nonresidents

Wyoming Elk Units for Nonresidents

Not afraid of High Country......I have Elk hunting experience.

Now I need a list of units that won't exclude me as a Non Resident (Wilderness).

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sales Manager at Copper John/Stan
    "Shut up and shoot"
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

if i'm not mistaken the non resident application time is over for this year. what kinda elk are you looking for(how big), ever hunter around the bears?

The 31st of May you had to have it all sent in. You can not hunt the Rookie Mountains to the West side with out a guide but you can hunt the Big Horn Mountains to the East with out a guide still as far as I know. I live in a basin between the two and it is just over 5,000 ft. and gos up from here,about 40 miles East or West. I live 70 miles east of the Yellowstone National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by badbow148 View Post
    The 31st of May you had to have it all sent in. You can not hunt the Rookie Mountains to the West side with out a guide but you can hunt the Big Horn Mountains to the East with out a guide still as far as I know. I live in a basin between the two and it is just over 5,000 ft. and gos up from here,about 40 miles East or West. I live 70 miles east of the Yellowstone National Park.

ahh, no....a nonresident had to send in by jan.31st.....and it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about at all......
    if a nonresident wants to hunt elk in wyoming they must hunt nonwilderness lands unless they are with a guide. pretty simple, get out a elk areas map, any stripped red lined area is wilderness, only a few areas in wyoming are all wilderness, some areas are national forest and wilderness, the forest lands they can hunt, just not the wilderness...
    Compounds.....a crossbow without a stock..... ya its still archery...
    Trad bows.....a compound without wheels.....ya its still archery...
    Crossbows.....a compound with a stock....ya its still archery......
    Archery, its why we are all on archerytalk,...... so stick togather and help preserve all our interest, not just your own!

Settle down man I was just saying I new the last of the drawing was for May 31st weather it was N/R or R. I under stood that if hunting is grizz country that you need a guide and that is the Rookies side, All the Big Horns was huntable for N/R with out a guide needed.

OK....I should have clarified.

2010 is the target date.....I know about the Wilderness restrictions.....and Bears.
    I guided in MT (Bighorn/Absarokas and Little Belts) and have hunted Idaho (Selway Bitterroot). Colorado also.
    I just know that all Elk areas are not created Equally. Some are easy to access and therefore overrun with hunters, and some don't have many Elk.
    I am looking for a balance.....decent Elk numbers......without a lot of pressure during the week.
    I can Spike camp, and will be with my best friends who have never hunted Elk....they are not fussy.....just want Elk.
    While guididng I shot cows.....Outfitter did not want us shooting Bulls....so my first branch antlered Bull is going to make me happy.....and late enough...I won't pass a cow up either.
    Was looking at areas 33-49.
    Any tips would be great....ther is some wilderness there....how much else is Public?
    "Shut up and shoot"
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by badbow148 View Post
    Settle down man I was just saying I new the last of the drawing was for May 31st weather it was N/R or R. I under stood that if hunting is grizz country that you need a guide and that is the Rookies side, All the Big Horns was huntable for N/R with out a guide needed.
    nope again your wrong, the big horns has wilderness lands also, it has nothing to do with grizzly's, it has to do with nontravel....
    Archery, its why we are all on archerytalk,...... so stick togather and help preserve all our interest, not just your own!

Just get a Gen tag (high $$ will give you best chance) and hunt.

As you know, decent numbers, decent chance, low hunters doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by manboy View Post
    nope again your wrong, the big horns has wilderness lands also, it has nothing to do with grizzly's, it has to do with nontravel....
    I said if hunting in grizz country witch is on the Rookies side witch is Yellowstone side. The Big Horns are not the Rookie Mts. No there is not grizz on the Big Horns according to Game and fish???? They have also siad there are no Wolfs there either but????

Look on the Wyo G&F website. They show the wilderness areas outlined on a map. Get your application in next January after some research. Keep in mind Wyoming went to the preference point system 4 years ago.
    Bowtech Guardian 61LBS @27", Vapor Trail Threads,MBG Ascent Single Pin, Whisker Biscuit, Doinker, 26" Gold Tip Pro 55/75, Slick Trick ST 100

weather it is Girzz country or not has nothing to do with if you need a guide. Out of staters only need guides if hunting wilderness areas, And like someone stated earlier there are very few areas that are all wilderness. If you are comfortable in the back country and aren't picky about what size animal you want to shoot just get a map out and find the area with the best odds, the least private land, and the least wilderness and have fun when you get there. Once you have your choices narrowed down to some specific areas list them here and I bet someone can tell you about them.
    If you are not prepared to loose every friend you have over a board game....... you aren't playing hard enough....

Take a look into the Wyoming Range, is all non-wilderness.
    Obsession '12 Addication 70#, hoggit w/wrap, AAE ProDrop
    Obsession '14 Evolution 65#, Spot Hogg, LimbDriver Pro-V

To add: Manboy is correct, there are Wilderness areas in the Big Horns that require a guide. Guides can either be traditional you pay em outfitters, or a "resident guide" can be used. A resident guide is a resident of the State that posesses a valid big game license (though it does not appear that they have to posess a license for that unit, or for the same animal that is being hunted) and who obtains a resident guide permit. They are limited to a maximum of 2 non-residents that they can guide in a year, and cannot accept payment for acting as a residen guide. A resident guide is required to "accompany" (whatever that means) the non-residen hunter in the wilderness areas when they are hunting. However, a non-resident can hike, camp, fish, frolic, and engage in all other non-hunting activities in wilderness areas without an outfitter or resident guide. The justification for the hunting requirement falls flat IMO, but the law remains.

There are units in the BH that have both wilderness and non-wilderrness in them. None of the units are entirely wilderness, and some have lots of access, and others, not-so-much. I believe all of the units are limited quota.
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    To add: Manboy is correct, there are Wilderness areas in the Big Horns that require a guide. Guides can either be traditional you pay em outfitters, or a "resident guide" can be used. A resident guide is a resident of the State that posesses a valid big game license (though it does not appear that they have to posess a license for that unit, or for the same animal that is being hunted) and who obtains a resident guide permit. They are limited to a maximum of 2 non-residents that they can guide in a year, and cannot accept payment for acting as a residen guide. A resident guide is required to "accompany" (whatever that means) the non-residen hunter in the wilderness areas when they are hunting. However, a non-resident can hike, camp, fish, frolic, and engage in all other non-hunting activities in wilderness areas without an outfitter or resident guide. The justification for the hunting requirement falls flat IMO, but the law remains.

There are units in the BH that have both wilderness and non-wilderrness in them. None of the units are entirely wilderness, and some have lots of access, and others, not-so-much. I believe all of the units are limited quota.
    yes rolo, all the BH mtns areas are limited quota for NR, for residents there is a couple general areas, these are pretty good but a little harder work is needed to get into some really good bulls.....i would say 36, or 37 would fit the bill pretty good for these guys....

Quote Originally Posted by emjohnso View Post
    Take a look into the Wyoming Range, is all non-wilderness.
    Thanks.....and Thanks Manboy and others....I guess I will start in the Bighorn Area. And look at the WY Range next.

Next Question......am I correct in saying that an Archery Only License gives you a 2 week start on the Gen Tag hunters????
    I am assuming High Country areas will be better early....as they were in MT/ID/CO.....but we always had better bugling from the 10th to the 25th or so. Opinions welcome.

Do the Residents tend to camp out for a few days before they can hunt.....or do they just hunt where they can access.
    If this is getting to nosey....just say.

Thanks again
    "Shut up and shoot"
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

The guide law is a very stupid law that was enacted years ago with the lobbying of outfitters and guides. Money racket. Federally owned land that me and you pay taxes to own but can't hunt it on our own. I don't mind paying more for license as a non resident or having to draw a NR tag but to be told I can't hunt on land that I have as much right to hunt on as anyone is not right

Wyo

Put in for a point from July 1st - September 30th:

https://gf.state.wy.us/elsapplicatio...rencepoint.htm
    The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.-----Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by zyxw View Post
    The guide law is a very stupid law that was enacted years ago with the lobbying of outfitters and guides. Money racket. Federally owned land that me and you pay taxes to own but can't hunt it on our own. I don't mind paying more for license as a non resident or having to draw a NR tag but to be told I can't hunt on land that I have as much right to hunt on as anyone is not right
    ya i am with you on this law...i think wyoming should just do like south dakota and not give ANY NR elk tags...then we wouldn't have to hear all the whining about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslookin View Post
    Thanks.....and Thanks Manboy and others....I guess I will start in the Bighorn Area. And look at the WY Range next.

Next Question......am I correct in saying that an Archery Only License gives you a 2 week start on the Gen Tag hunters????
    I am assuming High Country areas will be better early....as they were in MT/ID/CO.....but we always had better bugling from the 10th to the 25th or so. Opinions welcome.

Do the Residents tend to camp out for a few days before they can hunt.....or do they just hunt where they can access.

Thanks again
    thers is some of both, if you plan on hunting in the early season plan on not hearing much for bugles, plan to sit water and feild edges. get in position for glassing.
    residents take weeks off, elk is their life, and if they don't draw the area they want, then they'll hit the 15th general areas...it can get real busy fast.....good luck and get into shape...

Quote Originally Posted by zyxw View Post
    Forget the "wind", just hunt ..........

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslookin View Post

Thanks again
    Type 9 gives you the 1st two weeks alone. not worth it in my NR opinion. They have a few type 9 only units too.
    Best bet is a type 1, limited entry rifle tag, buy the additional Archery License, bow hunt the last week and then come back after they get some snow and bust one from the road with the rifle. They come off the hills like rats off a ship when it starts snowing.

I sure do wish A LOT of you guys that post your STUPID questions and COMMENTS would take the the time to do a little research on the subject your asking questions about. Like manboy said its obvious with some of the things I see being posted that people just haven't a clue what they are talking about. One big part of being successful in the back country is paying attention to detail.
    With some of the stuff I'm seeing asked, whew, I dont know how some of you guys even make out of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by capero View Post
    I sure do wish A LOT of you guys that post your STUPID questions and COMMENTS would take the the time to do a little research on the subject your asking questions about. Like manboy said its obvious with some of the things I see being posted that people just haven't a clue what they are talking about. One big part of being successful in the back country is paying attention to detail.
    With some of the stuff I'm seeing asked, whew, I dont know how some of you guys even make out of camp.
    you do realize this thread is 3 1/2 years old, right??

Quote Originally Posted by ILbowhunter79 View Post
    you do realize this thread is 3 1/2 years old, right??
    Lol!!! Now that's funny!

North Dakota soon to be Coeur d' alene Idaho
    Yeah and the funniest part is he is ragging people about being stupid
    If you are not living on the edge, you are simply taking up too much space!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast