Thread: Yorkie terrier for hunting?

Yorkie terrier for hunting?

i just noticed my sisters new pup loves to hunt. she is a little less than and year old and she is tracking game left and right. she found a rabbit hole and a few rabbits in my yard. and today i took her for a walk and she tracked 2 grey squirrels and a few rabbits in a feild. if they were in season i would have alot of small game right now.

i never really thought about using a yorkie for a hunting dog but after seeing her the last few weeks finding all this stuff and trailing all the way to them i might have to put her into training.

plus she can go through that really think stuff really fast after them.

any tips on how to train her?
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

no idea how to train her, but thats pretty cool - super "unconventional" but cool!

personally id teach her to find sheds
    Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by outdooraholic View Post
    no idea how to train her, but thats pretty cool - super "unconventional" but cool!

personally id teach her to find sheds
    my granda pa told me they are a off breed of rat terriers and breed to chase down rats and go through rabbit holes and stuff. thats would explain alot but idk.

she love it though. she saved 2 squirrels todays from getting killed by 2 crows than chased them down lost them, went back to the last spot retracked and got right back on them. it was so funny. she is only a little bigger than some of the rabbits she hunts whick makes it funnier.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle

makes sense. that would be funny to see! (expecially if she outhunted your buddies dogs LOL!!)
    Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

makes sense. that would be funny to see! (expecially if she outhunted your buddies dogs LOL!!)
    haha. dude honestly it is so funny to watch that little thing hopping through the feilds after rabbits. i made fun of the useless rat dog since my sister got it but now i think i have a use for it. she is a fast tracker. i watched her chase a rabbit around my yard through this really thick bush then out the othe end. than she lost it sniffed around and found its hole and started digging for it. i took her inside and now when i let her out she runs right to the thick parts and looks for rabbits.

squirrel dogs

i once saw on Pennsylvania Outdoor Life guys hunting squirrels with dogs and i believe they were some "off-breed" like Yorkies. their job was to run the squirrels up the tree then bark up the tree on the side opposite of the hunters so the squirrel would come aroun and BOOM. they also retrieved. looked like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shortarrow View Post
    i once saw on Pennsylvania Outdoor Life guys hunting squirrels with dogs and i believe they were some "off-breed" like Yorkies. their job was to run the squirrels up the tree then bark up the tree on the side opposite of the hunters so the squirrel would come aroun and BOOM. they also retrieved. looked like fun.
    i have to start training her now. i think she would be a great small game dog if i really worked with her. but i never trained a dog before.

it would be funny bring her to a trainer and telling them i want to use her as a hunting dog for game thats almost the size of her.

i need to teach her to come, sit, stay, and walk by my side. but i have no clue how to train her.

They were used to hunt varmints before we turned them into wimpy showdog-pets. All terriers were at one time hunters so the instinct is there, mine is the same way. Potential problems are thier lack of tolerence for weather extremes, and thier frailty aside from the fact that they are stubborn and mouthy.

A chipmunk wandered into our garage. Our Yorkie cornered him, grabbed him by the back of the neck and shook him to death.

Quote Originally Posted by racknspur View Post
    They were used to hunt varmints before we turned them into wimpy showdog-pets. All terriers were at one time hunters so the instinct is there, mine is the same way. Potential problems are thier lack of tolerence for weather extremes, and thier frailty aside from the fact that they are stubborn and mouthy.
    she isnt to loud. only barks at dogs but never rabbits or anything else. o ya she ahtes bears to so she barks alot at them on tv.

i just want to get her trained and give it a try. cant hurt anything.

They can be real mean little dogs, I know of one that killed a Rottweiler

Got stuck in it's throat............

Yorkies were bred to find rats and mice and catch them and shake the hell out of them to kill em. My mom has one and have quite an ego for such a tiny dog. But that probably explains it, its in their blood.

Quote Originally Posted by COOL HAND View Post

haha thats funny.

anyone got any training tips?

Smile Sounds Cool

The big question is what will she do if you shoot a gun around her.
    Jbird

Quote Originally Posted by Jbird View Post
    The big question is what will she do if you shoot a gun around her.
    Jbird
    i use a pellet gun for all small game. its not very loud and packs one hell of a punch on squirrels and rabbits. i can get her out and shoot the gun to get her use to it. i can get on of those training cap guns that my uncle uses for his german short hairs and that should get her use to it.

I'm Igor.

I might not look very ferocious but I'm real fast, I have sharp teeth and I'm a good arrow finder. (I'm also quite a lover -- as any of the local lady dogs will tell ya.)
    Merlin SuperNova
    SureLoc Challenger w/ Impact Cosmic DX Scope.
    Trophy Taker Spring Steel Rest.
    Super-Stix Stabilizer / Easton Platinum Plus Aluminums.
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release.

Quote Originally Posted by COOL HAND View Post

LOLOLOLOLLLOLOLLOLLOLlol!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! man that was funny!

sawtooth - keep us updated when you gettr trained. a video of the action would be pretty entertaining!!!

LOLOLOLOLLLOLOLLOLLOLlol!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! man that was funny!

sawtooth - keep us updated when you gettr trained. a video of the action would be pretty entertaining!!!
    it will take awhile but if i can get her trained up and good all post a vid.