Votes: 11 36.7%
  • 55lbs

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 60lbs

Votes: 6 20.0%

what draw weight for deer hunting ???

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  shoeshineboy 
#1 ·
I was wondering what draw weight most deer hunters use when they are shooting a recurve . I know accuracy is most important . Thanks

#4 ·
Its not the draw weight, but what I can enjoy pulling back and hit where I want. Yeah, I can draw 70... But no way in hell will I ever go back to LBS like such...I don't need to be a Macho man. Not only that, My shoulders are a lot better too... (along with my fingers.)

Dwayne

#5 ·
The bows I shoot have a weight range of 58# to 78#. The 58# is the bow I use for 3D shooting for the most part, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer sized critter with it either. I've got a 30" draw with a recurve too, so that adds to the equation quite a bit.

Recurves, 58#, 62#, and 73# @ 30"

Longbows, 64#, and 78# @ 29"

I know you didn't ask about the longbows, but they perform better than my recurves even with a shorter draw length due to riser configuration, so I thought I could let you know about them too. ;)

#6 ·
"...they perform better than my recurves even with a shorter draw length due to riser configuration..."

Jeff, OL makes those longbows in Roswell, NM doesn't he? :confused: Hmmmm...be honest, is it the riser or is it really some sorta (top secret) alien stuff OL puts in those limbs? C'mon dude, you can tell US! :D ;)

VicW.

Man, OL is working on mine now & Karen & I should be getting ours soon...YEEOW-ZAAAAA!

#8 ·
A 45# bow will drive an arrow through any deer you shoot with it. With that in mind, you should make your decision based on your ability to shoot the bow accurately.
I am accustomed to shooting a 60# longbow and a 60# recurve. I never achieved very good arrow flight from the longbow so I never had the confidence to shoot at large game with it, but the recurve shoots arrows all the way through a deer. ZOT!
Goodluck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.