Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sick deer in m yard...whats wrong with it? pics

sick deer in m yard...whats wrong with it? pics

this deer was in my backyard when i got home from work around lunch time, laying down, trying to get up. it couldnt get on its feet, and man, it made me sick. i ended its suffering, and took these pics to see if anyone can tell what is wrong with it. its body size was that of a 80 lb deer healthy, but id say it didnt weigh more than 40-50 lbs. its eye lids were black and swollen, nearly close, absolutly covered in ticks. i mean ticks EVERYWHERE. i dont know if it was sick then got down, and then got ticks on it, or if it got sick from the ticks, like lyme disease or something...? or was it just driven mad/starved to death from all the ticks around its eyes and mouth? i have no idea, but it sure ruined my day.

"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent
    "Preserve large tracts of wilderness for the exercise of the skills of the hunter, whether or not he is a man of means."~~Theodore Roosevelt

Just a quick thought, be careful if you have kids, a dog, etc... Now that the deer is dead, the ticks will be looking for a new food source, and that's A LOT of ticks. I'd want to get that carcass a ways from my house. I dont think Id want to eat any of it just cause your not really sure what made it so sick. Probably should call your dec/game commision, etc. Poor critter.
    Aim steady. Shoot straight. Apoligize to no one.

That is sad, I know it is all a part of nature but it still sucks when you see it....
    Welcome to Tennessee....Patron state of shooting stuff

i would say blue tounge

I would also call the DNR and report it. They will more than likely come out.

Get it away from your house.

Sad for sure.
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

I'd have a can of raid that kills everything and spray that sucker down like right now to kill all those ticks and then go from there
    "hunt hard and don't miss"

has blue tounge been in va recently? or is it always around? its about 200 yards from my house now, in the woods, is that far enough away?
    "I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent
    "Preserve large tracts of wilderness for the exercise of the skills of the hunter, whether or not he is a man of means."~~Theodore Roosevelt

also, if i call game and fisheries, can i get in any trouble since i killed it?

Good question... Didnt think about that. Ethically, I think you did the right thing, but I can also hear them saying "shoulda called us"..... Hmmm. I dont know.

Not judging but if you wanted to call them you should have done that in the first place. I believe they would most likely fine you for it now???
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

Quote Originally Posted by deermaster View Post
    also, if i call game and fisheries, can i get in any trouble since i killed it?
    Technically I think yes you could get in trouble for it (by the rules of the law and I think you have to call a GW first before finishing off a game animal out of season) but any game warden with a brain would probably let it go. Where in VA did you find that?

your right, shoulda thought ahead, but man, hearing a deer bawl can break yer heart. didnt even think about anything but ending its misery. found it in eastern va, on the eastern shore.

TICKS...TICKS and more TICKS........
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

I would call the DNR to have it tested even if you get a fine it will probably be small. And I would like to know what was wrong with that deer especially since it was so close to the house.

Ya thats not BT. Not sure what it is.
    Drag it to the side of the road and call the dnr and tell them you found it.
    11' Z7 Xtreme 3D Bow??? TBD!!
    "The real Cherokee Indian outlaw"

your right, shoulda thought ahead, but man, hearing a deer bawl can break yer heart. didnt even think about anything but ending its misery. found it in eastern va, on the eastern shore.
    I personally think you did the right thing by taking it out of it's missery when you did. It would have to be a pretty ruthless guy from the DNR to fine you for putting a dying animal out of it's misery. I would call them and explain the situation and I would be amazed if they scolded you in any way. I've been wrong before though.

I would of done the same thing..... ending it's misery I would take that fine in a heartbeat.
    HILLSIDE CUSTOM SLINGS, LLC
    CUSTOM BOW SLINGS, RANGEFINDER LANYARDS, BINOCULAR LANYARDS, NECK LANYARDS, SURVIVAL BRACELETS, DOG COLLARS, KEY FOBS
    LIKE US ON FACEBOOK-HILLSIDE CUSTOM SLINGS, LLC
    RED ARROW ARCHERY SUPPLIES, LLC PRO STAFF- TEAM MICHIGAN

like someone said before, technically, under the letter of the law, you can be punished, but most cops have common sense, and i doubt you'll be punished. its like hitting a deer and then shooting it. i was a cop for several years, and had to deal with A LOT of game type complaints, and i wouldn't have punished you for that. and remember, if the game warden or whoever does ticket you, you can still plead your side to a judge.

might be a stupid suggestion but why not burn it, if you are in an area where you can?

thats a whole lotta ticks that are going to have to find a new food source.
    Folks, the President needs a break. He's like a Black and Decker cordless Dirt Devil vacuum. If you don’t recharge his batteries, he can't suck.

I still definitly think you did the right thing. If you get a fine, and cant go to a judge or you go to court and are still found guilty, I'll personally send you the first $5 of the fine via money order. I'm sure others would help to if needed. Sounds like you should call the DNR. Better to have them pokin around now than in oct or nov...

looks really poor. probably anemic from all those ticks
    I can eat 50 eggs

Ticks have to be one of the nastiest things on earth.
    Mathews Monster CHILL

Tell em you found it and some guy driving by stoped to see what was going on he went back to his truck got a gun and then shot it to put it out of its misery, and you dragged it out to the woods to get it away from your home........and go from there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get her tested.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast