Thread: Stop Leak in the HVAC?

Question Stop Leak in the HVAC?

I sure need some advice on this one. Last year our heat pump system needed recharged to properly cool our home. It was 9 years old and the dealer said it had a leak in the furnace coil and could not be repaired. 11 months later this year the same thing. $200 to recharge. He recommends a complete replacement of our heat pump and furnace, since the government regulations on freon are changing. Over $5000...

Another dealer says he commonly uses stop leak in the freon system and has had no problems. Our American Standard system is out of warranty, so it's not like it will void our warranty. I have tried e-mailing American Standard over a week ago and no response. Cannot find a phone number for them either. I just don't want to do something that would further damage our system as long as we can limp along the way it is for awhile.

Any experience in this area would really be appreciated!!!!

you cant get a replacement coil built .... you dont need a new system ... just a new coil...

I am surprised that you are not already converted to 134a

Stop leak works great on tiny pin hole leaks ..... where is your leaker ... if its on the end its nothing to braze a patch .... if its in the middle ... then ya ... New coil or stop leak .... It wont hurt to try it it works great if not you are only out a few dollars
    ----------------------------------------------------

Smile Freon

Mikey,
    The leak is apparently in the middle, where he can't get to it to braze it. It must be a small leak. It took a while for his detector to pick it up and last years charge lasted 11 months before it froze up cooling the house.

He did say he could put in a new coil, but he could get a new furnace unit as cheap. The problem is a new freon is going to be required in a few years and most new units already use it exclusively. The new type cannot be used in old systems. The price will keep going up on the older(current freon). He said when the previous freon was phased out the price went up to $1000 for 25 pounds and expects the same thing to happen to the current freon that will be phased out. He doesn't think it makes sense to put in new equipment that won't be compatible with the coming freon change.

My current system's efficiency is 10 SEER and his proposed system is 15 SEER. I cannot justify the cost of the equipment, if stop leak will fix the system for years, even with the government tax breaks and electrical utility's rebates. New geothermal systems get an even better tax credit, but would cost about $9000 to install.

I welcome your input on this! Thanks so much...

I'd definitely try the stop leak first.

Not sure who you tried to contact at American Standard, but you might try contacting someone at Trane. American Standard used to be the parent company of Trane and American Standard a/c units were/are actually manufactured in Trane plants. Yours was probably made at the Trane plant in Trenton, NJ.

A lot of manufacturers are still making R22 units, but it's build to order. You can probably still get an R22 unit to replace yours, but they may or may not have one in inventory. You might have to wait for it to be manufactured, then shipped.

I think you are being bent over a bit when buddy says a new coil is as much as a new unit ...

If your unit is R22 there is a direct replacement called R-421a ... no equipment retro fits or anything ... pumpp out the 22 and pump in the 421a

if you run r-12 (mostly auto aps but have seen some in residential) then 134a is what you want

a new coil would be a few hundred bucks at the most

click link for Indianna HVAC companies
    http://www.allhvacinfo.com/Contracto...SA_Indiana.htm

these guys should all be good if they are listed on this site

you can get a quote over the phone .. Just tell them the diamentions of your existing coil (LxH)
    ----------------------------------------------------

Sealant

I guess trying the sealant is the first logical step, since no one is saying it will do any harm to the system. If that doesn't work, then I will pursue the advice above. Thanks guys!

Coil replacement

You can purchase a uncrated coil for around $250 if it is the evaporator coil,as for freon replacement 134a is a replacement for R12 not R22
    All the new higher efficiency units run on 410A ,it cannot be dropped in to a r22 system,The coils are not rated for the higher pressure.
    You local American Standard dealer will still have coils available.
    I personally think $500 should cover parts and labor.
    I hope this info is helpful to you!
    Dealer of N.E. DIY Dip Kits By Dip Wizard $94.99 free shipping!
    Staff shooter...PSE ...Black Eagle Pro Staff...DOINKER Stabilizers... www.doinker.com"Like" My Fan Page on FaceBook! "North East Diy Dip Kit"

Thank you!

I've been told from another HVAC repair guy in Savannah, Ga that the solid line, running up from left to right, is the system curve, and that the lines runing down from left to right are the fan curves.

The rated point shows at 635 in all four graphs for the High setting.

What is the CFM for each speed Low, Medium, and High, for 0.20 ESP?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by Double S; November 30th, 2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Removed spam link

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still alive. I tried the stop leak back in 2010 and by the spring or early summer of 2011, the system needed recharged again. The stop leak was insignificant and the new HVAC guy said it could plug the system and he had not had much good luck with it.

abimenis, I don't really understand your question and the spam link has been removed. I should close this thread and you can start a brand new one to find your answers from HVAC guys here on AT. There are alot of smart helpful people here!

The thread tools are not allowing me to close this. Please help me out moderators...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1 View Post
    The thread tools are not allowing me to close this. Please help me out moderators...
    Thread closed per OP request.
    Love what you have; Be grateful for what you receive; Give what you can and always remember; what goes around, comes around... Live Well... Be Wise.
    Martin-Rytera, PSE, Browning, Samick Bows.