Thread: Attractant for Elk

Attractant for Elk

Hey gang,

I have been seeing lots of trailcam pics of deer and elk over a wallowed-out areas of dirt. I am guessing that people are putting out some sort of attractant to bring the critters in.

I want to set out a trailcam this weekend in an area frequented by elk and deer, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something that both species of game will hit. I'm mainly focusing on elk though and trying to see what kind of bulls my area holds.

Any advice based on personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

One more thing...

Oh, I forgot to add that I am hunting in Oregon for Roosevelt elk so I'm not really trying to target wallows per se (my understanding is that rosies don't wallow all that much). Instead I want to create some sort of mineral-enriched attractant that will pull in some bulls for the added nutrition.

Thanks again!

ttt

Any ideas?

Salt

Mineral blocks, 50 pounds of elk and deer candy...

Yeah, we've used salt/mineral blocks for whitetails back in Louisiana with marginal success. I'm sure elk would go for it too, but the 50lb weight could be a bit prohibitive for backpacking into the remote area I had in mind. Still, I could probably pull that off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yep, those are salt licks you're seeing. Not legal to hunt over in Idaho, ok to hunt over in Washington.....go figure.
    Hunt hard, learn something everyday in the woods, never give in, and that's the moment the big bull will step out broadside.

Bring a GPS. It's awkward to eat your hunting partners.

If you haven't heard of Trophy Blend I would encourage you to check out their website. Just google "Trophy Blend scents". Very small but very effective. You could use an Elk Herd Blend stick along with a salt lick to get elk into thinking that it is already used by other elk and therefore a "safe" place in the elks mind. Also there are severel attractants like apple and vanilla available in scent sticks if you'd like to go that route.
    Hoyt Contender Elite - Paper
    Hoyt AlphaMax 35 - Bambi
    Chilliwack Dart and Tackle Archery Team

Also, I was just down in Oregon neer Reedsport with my dad for a quading trip, and there were some BIG bulls down there. By the time they are done growing they will be as big or bigger than the one in you avatar. Not sure if there are any places to hunt there or if its a park but there are definately some magnificent animals down there.
    Hoyt Contender Elite - Paper
    Hoyt AlphaMax 35 - Bambi
    Chilliwack Dart and Tackle Archery Team

Quote Originally Posted by Skewerer View Post
    I'm sure elk would go for it too, but the 50lb weight could be a bit prohibitive for backpacking into the remote area I had in mind.
    Look at it this way.......that would be less than half the weight of packing each load of meat out when you put one down over that block. That, and the hike out would be 50lbs less.

I wish it was legal to that in Colorado. I'd haul in a couple of blocks about early August.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Les View Post
    Also, I was just down in Oregon neer Reedsport with my dad for a quading trip, and there were some BIG bulls down there. By the time they are done growing they will be as big or bigger than the one in you avatar. Not sure if there are any places to hunt there or if its a park but there are definately some magnificent animals down there.
    There is an elk viewing area about 2 miles east of Reedsport called Deans Creek. This is a protected area but is fun to see all the elk there. There is quite a bit of public/Weyerhauser land down there to hunt but is quite a popular spot. Lots of hunters!
    Mathews Switchback XT 29/70
    Hoyt Vector Turbo 29/70

I have limited experience using mineral/salt on the Oregon coast but from what I have seen and heard is that they are not as attracked to it as the animals farther east. Not sure if it is from the salt in the air or the soil type. Maybe somebody will come on and add some insight to this or have had better experiences using it than I have.
    Hoyt Vector Turbo 29/70

Quote Originally Posted by Alandale Archer View Post
    I have limited experience using mineral/salt on the Oregon coast but from what I have seen and heard is that they are not as attracked to it as the animals farther east. Not sure if it is from the salt in the air or the soil type. Maybe somebody will come on and add some insight to this or have had better experiences using it than I have.
    This is good info. Thanks! I know that coast elk have water more readily available, so it makes sense that salt wouldn't be as big of a draw. At the same time, I've read that the forage along the coast isn't as rich in minerals. Maybe a mineral block could be the ticket?

A buddy of mine just made up some of the homemade mineral mix. He put some out in northeastern Oregon and the animals just tore it up. He then took some over to the area you are talking about and said they would hardly touch it. It would be worth a try though, it sure could'nt hurt anything.
    Hoyt Vector Turbo 29/70

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    Look at it this way.......that would be less than half the weight of packing each load of meat out when you put one down over that block. That, and the hike out would be 50lbs less.
    haha...I guess I did sound like a wuss there. I was thinking about carrying in a few blocks to spread around, so the weight would add up. It's downhill to my hunting spot from where I park on the ridgeline, so I could still tote it.

Trophy Blend is a revolutionary product that has hit the market and is coming on strong, we would like to invite all you hunters to visit our web site to check out all our products, if you have any questions please feel free to drop us an email.

WWW.TROPHYBLEND.COM
    • No spills or leaks!
    • No wicks or drippers!
    • Transmits NO disease!
    • Wide range of attractants & covers

Products
    Trophy Blend has the patented Scent Stick design which are compact all-in-one cover scents and lures that don't spill, shatter, or transmit disease. Its wide variety of scents stay fresh for years! Many uses include:
    Attractant or Wick - Apply to local brush, place on rock, or hang 12 to 18 high with cap off.
    Active Rub - Apply directly to rub site.
    Trail - Apply to brush & bushes or use cap to leave thin shavings along the trail.
    Cover Scent - Sage, pine, and other non-animal scents may be applied directly to clothing as cover.

PRODUCTS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ATTRACTANT & LURE SCENTS
    Whitetail Deer Blend
    Available in Buck, Doe, Estrus, and Herd
    Elk Blend
    Available in Bull, Cow, Estrus, and Herd
    Mule Deer Blend
    Blacktail Deer Blend
    Black Bear Scents!!!
    Cinnamon, bacon, Anise, and vanilla
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VARMINTS
    Coyote
    Fox
    Bob Cat
    Mt. Lion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    COVER SCENTS
    Pine Blend, Sage Blend, Anise Blend,
    Cedar Blend, Earth Blend, Vanilla Blend
    Acorn Blend, Apple Blend, Corn Blend
    Juniper Blend, Pig Gape Blend

"Remember It's Their Environment Blend In"

Here is my Salt CRATER that the elk and deer are hitting pretty hard as you can tell. This used to be a flat spot! Just freshened it up last week. This spot is in Oregon, so I imagine it should work for Roosies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 HOYT ALPHAMAX 32
    I HOOK UP- BECAUSE IM A DADDY

Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for the buck after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You shot a buck. You got a responsibility.' If your buck gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that damn buck!

My buddy is using the red 50 lb mineral block in AZ and the elk are hitting it really hard. He has some monster bulls coming in to it. I've got pics but I'm at work and can't resize them. : ( He also told me that he likes to put Block Topper on each block which produces sort of a candy type foam that covers the block and ground and puts off quite a bit of scent so that animals will find it quickly. I'm going to put some of that on mine this weekend.

Deer,hogs and rabbits prefer salt in the summertime. Studies on rabbits have shown that it helps with parasites. They tend to lay off of it during the cooler months.

I'm sure elk would go for it in the summer.

If you're hiking it in you could just use rock salt ?

You should also be able to get smaller salt and mineral blocks at a feed store.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack
    I wish it was legal to that in Colorado. I'd haul in a couple of blocks about early August.
    I hauled 24 blocks in for the guy that had the USFS grazing allotment in one of my hunting areas...We did well in there for many years, but I think that was mostly from riding it alot and getting info out of the cowhands more than the salt holding them in the area.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

50lb bag of sa-30 selenium. It has worked in my spot for years. By the time I get up to refresh it in late July the elk have already been in there licking it off of the roots and digging deep for any traces left over. I used to use the block but stopped for 2 reasons. 1- they tend to kick it around and sometimes all the way down the hill. 2- other hunters may find it, not that they won't see the 10'x10'x3' crater that has developed.

Another that I have found they really like is the 4lb sweet corn block. I use those if I pack in anywhere. They will go through a block in less than a week.
    Matt Anderson (Average Joe)
    U.S Navy Retired Chief Petty Officer VP Navy
    Bow\Gold Tip/Feather Vision\ Limb Savers/QAD\Spot-Hogg/B-Stinger\
    "When all is said and done, it's not the shots that won the championship that you remember, but the friendships you made along the way"

Try a flower bed.
    '10 Mathews Monster XLR8, CBE Tek Hunter 5 Pin, Ripcord, Octane 7" Stab., Quiver-TBD, Arrows-TBD

Regular old salt licks works in Oregon
    Attached Images Attached Images