Thread: Matthews Monster XLR8 and APA King Cobra compared?

Matthews Monster XLR8 and APA King Cobra compared?

I am thinking about getting a speed bow to shoot at about 55# - 60# for my everyday hunting here, where I have decided that I don't need to be drawing 70# or 77# like my current bows.

How would these two bows compare? I have no brand loyalty or dealer/warrentee issiues since I live overseas and experience has shown me that there is no real chance of ever getting bailed out of eventual problems.
    The only expection to this has been Elite with Barnsdale limbs, but otherwise unless I deal with the US direct I can't obtain anything in this country.

I like the design features of the APA, but not many people seem to shoot them, while the Monster XLR8 seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews from a lot of skeptics.

Can anyone give me some feedback on these two bows compared to each other?

Thanks.

I have not shot the King Cobra but must say i got the pleasure of shooting a Black Mamba and it is a top notch bow. I would gladly shoot a APA and with all the feature it has worked its way to the top of my list for next years bow.
    2009 Athens Accomplice
    Athens Archery Field-Staff
    Military Assassin
    Proud of my new Family-- PARADIGM ARCHERY

Hi have had a King Cobra for about 2 months now. For the most part it is a deadly accurate bow, with a ton of kinetic energy.

The biggest problem I have had is the strings. I have to adjust the timing about once a week. Scorpion strings have a pretty good reputation though, so I may have just gotten unlucky with the set that came on my bow.

I would not recommend this bow for a beginner. But, if you know how to shoot and have it tuned well, it will put the arrow where you tell it to very quickly.

ttt

anyone?

Not sure this will help but the Cams on the King Cobra are very similiar to Merlins Viper Cam's and at similiar efficiency.

grand rapids, Michigan (west/lower p. michigan)
    get a monster, I just bought at king cobra and check out the speed on my youtube.com/jordyd19 It came in with the limb cups not tightened down to the riser the ftlbs were 20 below advertised and the monster that I've shot through this same chrono at 29in beats this by 10fps where mine is at 30inches.

The chrono shows the monster is far superior.

The king cobra is fun as hell to shoot on the other hand and I haven't shot it through the chrono with the limb cups tightened down. the cobra is so balanced though when I shoot it, there's just a slow fall directly forward, the weight is so balanced it shocks me.

grand rapids, Michigan (west/lower p. michigan)

so

I got the 80lb limbs with the bow and before tuning and using the twister safari to test which did not work out at all I had to go with the qad ultra rest to get it to drop in time it was making 111ft lbs energy.

My limb cups were loose when I chrono'd the 70lb limbs and the string accelerators were moving so I tied them down with serving string. This fixed issues I was having with shot inconsistency from group to group.

I have the King Cobra and I am very happy with it and I have other bows made by APA.The King Cobra is smooth draw,very fast,deadly accurate,very stable and solid bow.I like longer ATA bows but this bow really surprised me,no shock and no vibration.My APA bows never let me down,I never ever had problems with them and I have many other brands.Even the strings seems to last longer,I shoot my bows a lot.
    I think APA sells good in places where you don't have to rely on proshops or
    dealers on every corner.
    Planning to hunt in remote places,take an APA,they get job right.

I have had 2 apa black mamba extreme bows one a 70lb bow the other a 60lb bow and must say they are great shooting bows , fast but the only complaint I would have is I had to occasionally time the cams to keep them shooting at there best and keep the wall solid .

I shoot a new Monster. At 70# it's harder to draw than most bows I've drawn at 80#. It's a difficult bow to draw compared to other fast bows, but it's faster than most bows I've seen. It's more accurate than I am, which isn't saying alot. I had to practice alot with the monster to get a quick smooth draw in a treestand.