a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: deer Co-Cain Black Magic???

deer Co-Cain Black Magic???

i need help here on "Deer Co-Cain Black Magic"

Does it work?
    How do you spread it?
    sShould i put it in an open area in the woods?
    My deer hunting starts around October 18th... when should i put it out?

i use plain deer co caine, only in the off season (illegal to use in season) but i just mix it with some rain water or creek water and spread it in about a 10 foot area, that bag says to re apply every 3 week or months i forgot which, so it should last at least that long.

okay. did you ever set up a trail cam on it?

We put some out we had sitting in the garage for awhile out last late fall/ winter and they ate it up! We had the Black Magic liquid and they were on it after a day or two. I just poured about 3/4 of the bottle on a small patch of dead grass out by one of our stands and the rest of the bottle in front of a trail cam on some dead grass. We had pictures of does eating on it right away, their heads were down in about every picture eating on it.
    I was in that stand later that fall trying to slay a doe and had a small 8 point come out and go straight from that close patch of grass with 3/4 of it straight to the exact spot I put the rest of it.
    They ate the grass to the bare dirt and made a slight indention in the ground.
    We can't seem to find the liquid in any stores though. Also had good luck with the black magic powder. Actually got a decent buck coming into it this last week and does pretty often.

I put some of the original deer cain out about 3 to 4 years ago and deer are still hitting it. I just put a camera on it about a week ago.

It is one of my favorite products out there just wish I had more of some of it.

Some we put out in the open, some right inside the timber edge, and some in the thick timber in an open food plot.
    Team Slayer Outdoors

FOB -O------------> www.starrflight.com
    NC+ Seed Company, Double Z Decals(doublezdecals.com), Madge & Nettie's Cupboard, Prairie Spirit Realty/United Country

so. i have a bag of the black magic deer co-cain. should i just clear an area out and just dump it in the dirt? is it illegal to use in Maryland during hunting season?
    if not how many days before hunting season should i put it out there??

Quote Originally Posted by bmayville View Post
    so. i have a bag of the black magic deer co-cain. should i just clear an area out and just dump it in the dirt? is it illegal to use in Maryland during hunting season?
    if not how many days before hunting season should i put it out there??
    Yeah just follow the directions on the bag. Clear an area, build a small mound around it and kind of rake it in.

I would check the internet or pick up a regulations book for Maryland that should tell you.
    Good luck.
    Team Slayer Outdoors

FOB -O------------> www.starrflight.com
    NC+ Seed Company, Double Z Decals(doublezdecals.com), Madge & Nettie's Cupboard, Prairie Spirit Realty/United Country

Quote Originally Posted by Pickert View Post
    Yeah just follow the directions on the bag. Clear an aread, build a small mound around it and kind of rake it in.

I would check the internet or pick up a regulations book for Maryland that should tell you.
    Good luck.
    I believe it is legal in MD as long as it is on private land.
    VORTEX OPTICS NATIONAL FIELD STAFF ............VICTORY NATIONAL STAFF
    AEP PRO STAFF///////////////////////////////////////BRITE SITE SHOOTING STAFF
    TRU BALL SHOOTING STAFF/////////////////////////BOHNING STAFF SHOOTER
    SIXX STRINGS
    ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com

so just rake the black magic over the cleared area. Should i put it out in rut or it the beginning of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by bmayville View Post
    so just rake the black magic over the cleared area. Should i put it out in rut or it the beginning of the season?
    Deer typically crave minerals in the spring and summer, so it would probably work best in the early season.

thanks... ill take your tip on that. so should i set it up a month before hunting season? or now?

I bought some because it was on sale! I have a pretty active lick going. Applied it over my existing mineral lick...watched 4 deer stop while in my stand. I wasn't "hunting" over it, but they stopped!

You need to put it out NOW to get them to 'pattern' to it. Just refresh it as needed.
    Alpine Fireball F1

thats nice. i might plant it in two months... to let the deer get time to know its there. then i will put a mineral lick next to the deer caine. or should it be a salt lick?

It would probably be a good idea to put it out now, when salt and mineral cravings are at their highest. Once they get used to it, they will be more likely to visit the site during the season. I would put it out now, mix it with the soil, and top it off with a mineral block. Most of the mineral blocks have more vitamins and minerals than salt blocks, but they still have a good amount of salt in them. If your mineral site looks diminished by the start of the season, you can refresh it if it's legal.

deer and bear tear it up here in new mexico. our deer population is kinda low in the area i hunt so i put it our just to give the fawns and mommas a little extra nutrition. I don't hunt over it, but i have scared bear off it when i wandered by to check on usage.
    i rake the ground clean, spread in a 3-4 foot circle, mix it into the dirt and pray for rain(i don't tote extra water up the mountain.
    I don't don't know if there is a lot of difference between it and the regular co cain because the deer like it too, but it seems that the black magic has more usage.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Menken
    09 MARTIN WARTHOG 72# 31" wicked1strings

black magic

thanks everyone. i will use all ur edvice. thanks again

Closed

Closed