Thread: 55 Gallon Drum Hanging Feeder

55 Gallon Drum Hanging Feeder

Here are some pics of a 55 gallon drum feeder I am making to hang in a tree in a ravine/gulley this weekend to get ready for deer season...and this is also where the piggies and turkeys like to hang out also....almost got it finished tonight...but...have to make the hanger tomorrow morning...

more explanation and pics as soon as I get time:

First is a food grade drum with lid and ring:

Drum with legs attached, hecho en Pflugerville:

After initial camo paint job:

Adding a little personality, my trademark on my feeders:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    here is the finished product:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    okey dokey, it was a rather large pain getting all this stuff down in the ravine, getting everything mounted up and up in the air...by myself none the less...but it can and was done...

found a couple good natural hide-outs...one is a rather large and ominous looking tree...kind of like one in 'sleepy hollow'....

anywho, here are the pics:

this is a pic of the 'before', well, there is a ladder where I am hanging the setup...just a marker...

this picture is with hand winch installed, chain hung from crook in tree, hook/block/pully hanging from chain and cable running down and hooked to feeder

this is the final product, feeder full of corn and pulled up in place.

That's a good idea putting legs on the bottom so you don't break your motor.

Nice work
    Mathews Z7

Bowhunters4Life

That looks real nice. Good job.

great looking setup! no critters spinning your feeder when you aren't looking. I bet that thing can throw corn 30+ feet too.

well done!

nice
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolcj5 View Post
    great looking setup! no critters spinning your feeder when you aren't looking. I bet that thing can throw corn 30+ feet too.

well done!
    just put it out last weekend....camera about 30 feet or so away...will be a couple weeks before I head back out...I doubt it but you never know....

if there are any little thieves is to either cut pieces of sheet metal or plywood the shape of the partial triangle from the bottom of the legs to the bottom of the drum then attach....if they can get around that....they can have the @#$% corn.

little thing I have found reference to called 'golden malrin'....some kind of fly poison, pour some in a bowl or whatnot, pour some cola product in also then leave where the coons or squirrels can get to it....supposed to kill them within a 50 yard walk after consumption....maybe not as fun as target practice on a dry run trip but....it is what it is.....

looks great

I hope to see pics of that comes to eat soon

Quote Originally Posted by brokenbone264 View Post
    I hope to see pics of that comes to eat soon

couple weeks, couple weeks....hopefully it is not filled with worthless bovine....those bastages manage to find the corn no matter where it is.....if they find this one....I will have to build a barbed wire pen around the area....

Them hogs WILL find it! It's just a matter of time.
    I also like the frame to hold it off the ground. Makes it easier to fill and not have to worry about damaging your timer should it hit the ground.
    I know fisrt hand! Went to hunt my feeder yesterday evening and found it on the ground with the ON-Time shoved part way into the drum! Ruined!
    Will go put another timer on today and rehang from a bigger branch as soon as the rain quits.
    Zona recurve
    52# @ 26". 58" AMO
    Zona Recurve
    50# @ 28". 60" AMO

Quote Originally Posted by Basinboy View Post
    Them hogs WILL find it! It's just a matter of time.
    I also like the frame to hold it off the ground. Makes it easier to fill and not have to worry about damaging your timer should it hit the ground.
    I know fisrt hand! Went to hunt my feeder yesterday evening and found it on the ground with the ON-Time shoved part way into the drum! Ruined!
    Will go put another timer on today and rehang from a bigger branch as soon as the rain quits.
    A trick I just thought of that might help some of you legless feeder types would be to find a bucket to take with you to use as a base to set the feeder down on when filling it up....now it's not going to help if the thing gets thrashed or falls out of the tree though....

what I was picturing was say a 30 gallon can, just take a 5 gallon bucket and have it under the feeder and let the thing down just enough to put weight on the bucket but not let all the slack out...that way if it tips over, it won't hit the ground....

Great looking feeder and spot. Best of luck!
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps