Thread: How To Choose The Right Bow For You

1. Thumbs up How To Choose The Right Bow For You

Howdy, everyone! Aaron and I are the owners of Spirit Quest Archery in Kalispell, Montana. I recently decided to expand my passion for archery from bow hunting to competitive target archery. Therefore, I needed to decide which make and model target bow would be best for me. Aaron has always been the archery equipment and bow tech expert. I’ve always left the decision of which hunting bow was right for me and never really questioned why. So, I started to pick his brain about how anybody who is in the market for a new bow, or who is interested in getting started in the awesome fun of bow hunting and/or archery narrows down the right bow for him/her with all of the different bow makes and models available. I was dumb founded to learn how important it really is to choose the right bow for me in order to achieve my archery goals, and how much there really is to know in order to make the right choice.

Well, not only do I now have the perfect target bow for me on order, but we decided to also share the information with you. Aaron did an amazing job at breaking down the information to the point where the next time you are in the market for a bow, you won’t waiste a minute of your time or money.

Since I don't have 5 or more posts as of yet, this forum will not let me submit a link, but here's how you get to it.

Go to our website at Spirit Quest Archery dot com
    Click on the Blue Tab at the top entitled "Articles"
    Click on the "How To Choose The Right Bow For You" link

Let us know what you think!

That is the most asked question around here. That link should be a "Sticky" !!
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler
    Viper Sights, NAP Rests, Easton & Beman Shafts, Limbsavers, Tru-Ball.

Is this the web site...?

http://www.spiritquestarchery.com

OK cool I'm off to check it out...

Thanks for your efforts guys

Spatan

the only thing i would add is that you shout SHOOT the bow before you buy it.

I don't give a flip about ATA, brace height and all that jargon. That could get you in the ballpark. Like you don't want to put a beginner behind and APA Black Mamba.

You need to actually SHOOT the bow to see if it fits you and feels good shooing it. All the specs in the world could lead you to a certain bow but until you actually shoot it, and feel the release..............

example. Many people consider the Mathews Swithcback series the smoothest bow mathews ever made (some even say the smoothest ever made period). When i was in the market I shot one. NO WAY would i buy that bow. It vibrated in my hand. Top limb dove forward on release. Just wasn't comfortable for ME.

Shot the Bowtech Tribute later that day and i bought it.

Did the "specs" on the Switchback fit?....sure. Did the bow fit ME? ...... NO!

Did the "specs" on the Tribute fit?.....mostly, ATA was on the short side. Did the bow fit me? ......YES!

Long story short.........TO FIND THE PERFECT BOW FOR YOU, YOU NEED TO SHOOT EVERY BOW IN YOUR PRICE RANGE THAT YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON AND DECIDE FROM THAT! And not let someone tell you "That bow will never work for you.....the Brace height is to low....."

Don't listen to us fanboys. Let yourself do the deciding.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter

Long story short.........TO FIND THE PERFECT BOW FOR YOU, YOU NEED TO SHOOT EVERY BOW IN YOUR PRICE RANGE THAT YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON AND DECIDE FROM THAT! And not let someone tell you "That bow will never work for you.....the Brace height is to low....."

Don't listen to us fanboys. Let yourself do the deciding.[/QUOTE]

+1

6. Is shooting the bow the most important?

Purchasing a new bow is very similiar to purchasing a new vehicle. You need to drive the vehicle before deciding if that's the right vehicle for you. Same goes with bows. Of course you need to shoot the bows in order to help you determine your choice! Duh! However, Just because a bow shoots well and the way you like it in the store, does NOT mean it will "live up" to your archery goals long term! Once you decide what your archery goals are; what your budget is - than you narrow down which bow makes and models should be the ones that you "test drive"! Again, knowing a little about a bow's technology and features will give you the advantage of not only ensuring that your choice will meet your target/bowhunting goals, but will give you what you are paying for! Just because you shoots the way you like in the store DOES NOT mean it will meet your goals long term. That depends on all of the information given to you on our "How To Choose The Right Bow For You" Article.

Bottom line - know what you are looking for in archery goals and price point first; than test shoot all of those bows that meet your requirements in order to best determine which bow is best for you.

Not everybody has access to a local archery pro-shop either in order to personally test shoot those bows which is why is is helpful to understand the difference between bow makes and models.

Lastly, most archery pro-shops don't even allow you to test shoot bows (which is incredibly ridiculous!)