Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My $20.00 Bow Press

Genius

This is an awesome Idea. By far the greatest DIY press I have ever seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Race59 View Post
    A few more photos.
    Bastage! (cussing myself!)

I was hoping noone would beat me to it!! I am impressed!!! Great press for an even better price.
    Hmmm... 335fps with a 32" a-a bow with a 7"bh? Tha's a smokin'! I won't complain for getting 342 out of it either! Bowtech Experience!
    TOP OF UTAH ARCHERY - Dealer for Bowtech, Diamond, PSEPro and Mainline, MATHEWS & MISSION (new) Martin, Rytera, Alpine, Bear, Parker, Browning, and a few more... Looking for something special? Let's deal!

why didn't I think of that.

That is a awesome thing,, it is also funny in the fact it was talked about here a few months back and everyone decided against it,,lol. Glad to see you did the footwork and made 1 happens,,my hats off to ya my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosieroutdoors View Post
    ..........it is also funny in the fact it was talked about here a few months back and everyone decided against it,,lol. ........
    Yep. And it looks like a few others shared my concerns about slip and rotation:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...highlight=pipe

A little nicer clamp proposed for use in that thread, but also a little more expensive.

If you were worried about clamp rotation, you could go with a bar clamp similiar to this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Brilliant my man, simply Brilliant"!
    It's not the stick-It's the person behind the string!
    Mathews DXT, Outback.Cobra/ Beman/Easton/Tru Ball/Slick Trick

Nice Work!

Cool idea!

great bowpress

hey just a side note, I use a bowmaster cable bowpress and it has a 4" screw to adjust length and i use it regularly to swap limbs and take down bows. i would think you would only need 6 or 7" of screw to let a bow down. i don't know how long that screw is but it may work. great idea, i'm headed to harbor freight this afternoon, and the price is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    hey just a side note, I use a bowmaster cable bowpress and it has a 4" screw to adjust length and i use it regularly to swap limbs and take down bows. i would think you would only need 6 or 7" of screw to let a bow down. i don't know how long that screw is but it may work. great idea, i'm headed to harbor freight this afternoon, and the price is even better.
    The screw may only be 4" long but seeing it takes up cable from the middle it actaually has 8" or slightly more.

Thumbs up

AWESOME!!!!!! I think you just opened the flood gates

Can you post a pic with a bow pressed? Curious to see how much clearance around the cams. Where did you get the extension fingers that you screwed into the exsisting plates? Did you build them and if so how much do you sell them for?

Last edited by JDS-1; July 19th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    2011 PSE Bowmadness
    Goldtip Arrows
    Muzzy/Slick Trick
    Trophy Taker
    Black Gold

He got me as well. I have a Bowmaster I've used for small work, but this seems to be much less hassle. I picked these up at Lowes today.

I have used that style clamp for years. Please be careful as I have had them slip many a time.

Quote Originally Posted by p47dman View Post
    I have used that style clamp for years. Please be careful as I have had them slip many a time.
    How have you had them slip? Down the pipe or around it? I was planning on placing two set screws in the moveable end to avoid the clamp sliding around the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Archeroni View Post
    Yep. And it looks like a few others shared my concerns about slip and rotation:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...highlight=pipe

A little nicer clamp proposed for use in that thread, but also a little more expensive.
    I think I've read just about every thread about bow presses and do recall pipe clamps be mentioned, but I don't remember that particular post. I think I like the blue clamps better than the red ones that I used!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Thompson View Post
    The screw may only be 4" long but seeing it takes up cable from the middle it actaually has 8" or slightly more.
    I believe this is correct, the pipe clamp press probably doesn't have enough travel to change limbs.

It's certainly not the be all end all bow press, but I think it'll get you by most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS-1 View Post
    AWESOME!!!!!! I think you just opened the flood gates

Can you post a pic with a bow pressed? Curious to see how much clearance around the cams. Where did you get the extension fingers that you screwed into the exsisting plates? Did you build them and if so how much do you sell them for?
    I think everybody is giving me just a little bit too much credit. I never thought I would get the response on this post that it has received.

Yes I did make the fingers that are attached to the clamp, but I'm not really looking to sell them. I'm way more interested in solving problems than production work!!! I have a few other projects I'm working on that I will share with everyone pretty soon.

The little rubber heater hose stops slide up and down if necessary. To get a little more clearance one could use a thinner material, or grind a little off the hose itself on the inside of the fingers. For bows that have string suppressors on the limb tips it wouldn't be too hard to tape or place a shim of the proper thickness as needed temporarily.

While I haven't done it, snapping off the E-clips and pulling the axles looks like it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm attaching a few more photos that hopefully will answer some of your questions.

Again, nice camera work!

I think folks are getting the wrong message from the DIY section.....it is for archers to share what they made to save themselves money or to solve a problem, or just to show off some skills... not to generate sales.

You made a fine press and chances are you don't own every possible limb configuration, make and model of bow so there would be no need to have the versitility of say an ez-press.

Thanks for sharing the material list and the great description of how it goes together.

Now all you guys go build on like it and improve on it so we can all copy that one too!! That is what this is all about

Make a stand. That has a hook on each vertical leg to hang the pipe on. Now it hangs like the rest of this style press.

I was thinking taking this clamp. Attach it to a pc of angle iron so it lays on its side. With the feet of the clamp running against the inside of the angle iron. Bolt down to a stand and attach a bracket with fingurs already available here on At.

I wish I new how to draw on a computer

Great job! and thanks for sharing

for those with experience in this type of thing, how do you modify the finger to get around a draw stop?

Would like to be able to press a bow without removing draw stops

Thanks

Great job! that is a good way to use the old noodle....

What if you bought 2 sets of the clamps and put the screw on each end, more travel. i guess you would need different pipes for different bows. Great looking work! very professional!
    >>>>>-------Team 25------------->......BLOODTRAIL BROTHERHOOD......
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.

very interesting.......I have a few old ones that I dont use and need to drag them out to see if I can get them to work for me. ....

If your clamp may have any slippage like stated above with old clamps you may need to sand them down and clean some debris and or rust off and they do hold great!!!

Thanks!!!
    Psalm 18:32-34 It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

So how much are you going to charge for the extension fingers? It's the only way this press will work and your sitting on a gold mine
    2011 PSE Bowmadness
    Goldtip Arrows
    Muzzy/Slick Trick
    Trophy Taker
    Black Gold

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast