Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: My $20.00 Bow Press

Hello race59; I made this press and I love it. I don't use any of the extra holes, not needed. I shoot Hoyt , Martin and Jennings . All press easily with no effort. Thanks , now I'll have 300 to stick into something else.

Any new improvements to this unit?
    3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    Genesis 9:3

Done very well, and more importantly, cheap !

This is simply brilliant. I've got a couple pipe clamps in the back yard. Now I know what i'm going to do with one!!!

this is great,
    I experienced an issue with my bow fisher today, and have to remove to string,
    was going to take to the shop, but decided for a cheaper option incase it happens again

thanks all!

-bb

I realize that this is an old thread, but hopefully, I'll get a response to my question. I'm about to build this press, my question is with my Hoyt Contender w/ xt3000limbs will I have to back off the limb bolts or can I leave the set to max weight. The biggest pain that I have in tuning the bow, ie, making all of the necessary adjustments, is always turning the bolts in and out after each adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by CHG View Post
    I realize that this is an old thread, but hopefully, I'll get a response to my question. I'm about to build this press, my question is with my Hoyt Contender w/ xt3000limbs will I have to back off the limb bolts or can I leave the set to max weight. The biggest pain that I have in tuning the bow, ie, making all of the necessary adjustments, is always turning the bolts in and out after each adjustment.

A press is a press is a press.....I don't know about Hoyt, but if you have to back it down to press it, then you would do the same with this one! I built one that I no longer use, PM me if you are interested.

Stoney
    2014 E5 70# RTX
    2012 Answer 60# AT Snow
    "Elite.....You can't own just ONE"

Belchertown, Massachusetts, United States
    That is such a great idea! I'm going to make one this would be perfect for me to tie in peeps and change strings.
    I survived a weekend at Bernie's
    12 pse supra ME Bernie's stabilizers CBE sights
    09 HCA speed pro CC porter mako TT rest
    E&J archery westhampton MA

Ttt

subscribing!!!!!

That is a freakin' awesome press idea...perfect for what I need, but how could I make some fingers to work with a Destroyer 350
    2010 Destroyer 350 29/70
    Limb Driver Pro V
    Sword Centurion
    Octane Stabilizer & Quiver

^ I should have pics in a few hours of my invasion in the press...time to call it a night though. I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR THIS THREAD!

Once I find some were to buy fingers I'm going to make one of these,simple,cheap and effective!
    ☆~HOYT CS34 blk/Ap snow limbs, HOYT QAD,APS quiver,Apex covert,TB Fang GS, Rattler CF plates, Retrevierfishin Solid flo orange, Redneck storm trooper~☆

I finally built mine a couple of months ago. I used oak for the fingers, as I don't have a welder. It works better than I thought it would. I've pressed an old Browning Trophy Maker, 2005 PSE Primos STL, Hoyt Ruckus, and 2010 Elite Z 28 which is considered past parallel. This press has saved me a ton of time and money doing my own tuning and tinkering. Thanks so much for the great idea.
    Luck is a word average people use to validate their mediocrity.

Nice idea i really like how simple it is

I might just be lazy for not reading every single post on this thread, but where can you get these "fingers' at? Harbor Freight? Lowes? i read several of the posts but didnt see anywjere if it said where these could be picked up at. Thanks

100_1038.jpg

Made one of these up last year. Tried using it on my Insanity. I have the fingers like the post above. As I was removing a cable the finger bent and the bow came popping out out. pretty scary. Is there any way to make sure the fingers don't straighten back out?

Fingers straighten out? As in bending? I have made these with 3/16" and 1/4" steel and it won't bend. I have built them with 3/4" oak with no problem. If the length of the fingers is increased I would use thicker material or reinforce it.

yes the fingers went from the 7 or 10 degree bend to past straight the other way. I have 1/4 inch steel. I am trying to figure a way to reinforce or somehow harden them when they are bent back to the 7-10 degree angle. Any ideas?

once bent it will be weaker than original. welding a piece of flat stock perp to the back would be the only way i could think of reinforcing it.

'11 Elite Pure 70#
    Easton ST Epic 400 w/3"Fusions
    Rage 2 Blades + Buzzcuts

sweet idea i got a saw from harbor freight and made arrow saw really cheap also
    Gold Tip, B Stinger, CBE, Scott, TrophyTaker, Mathews, Barn Burner Strings, Bohning

48" HD I-Bar Clamp

48 in HD I-Bar Clamp.gif
    Has anyone tried using an I-Bar clamp to make this press? Seems like it would address some of the slipping concerns and be much stronger. $82.00

I-Bar Clamp, Heavy Duty, Opening 48 In., Throat Depth 1 13/16 In., Load Capacity 6000 Lb., Spindle Dia. 5/8 In., Max. Jaw Opening 48 In., Clamp Face 1 7/8 x 1 13/16 In., Bar Thickness 5/32 In., Bar Width 1 1/2 In., Bar Material Steel, Handle Material Steel w/Wood Crank, Bar Size 7/16 x 1 1/2 x 5/32 In., Clamping Surface D 1 13/16 In., Clamping Surface W 1 7/8 In., For hard everyday production work, Includes Compressed Metal Pawl, Rapid Acting Powerful Clamp, No-slip Notches

5A325_AS01.jpg
    "Infinite patience and practice are needed to make a hunter. He must earn his right to take life by the painful effort of constant shooting." Saxton Pope

I just finished mine this weekend. I have about $40 in it for just the clamps, pipe, 3/8x2" steel and rubber tubing.
    If I had it to do over again I would just go the hardwood route for the fingers.
    It is amazing how easily this presses my bowtech.
    Thanks for the write up I am still ahead of the game not having to spend the money on gas to watch someone that may or may not actually know how to work on my bow and then charge me $35!
    I just used it to swap cables/string and sync my cams.
    Good job.

Doesn't seem like this design would be able to fix a string that has popped off a cam... or am i missing something ?

I think you are missing something or I'm not understanding your problem. Have you used a bowpress before?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Menken
    09 MARTIN WARTHOG 72# 31" wicked1strings

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast