Archery Talk Forum banner

HHA Sight Review

104K views 161 replies 102 participants last post by  AmishArcher 
#1 ·
Hey Folk's,
I want to give everyone a review on the HHA sight I just picked up.
First off, this is the new DS-5510, yes you read it right, it is a
.010 fiber. This sight is very easy to set up, just two bolts and it is
ready to mount on your bow. Once I put it on my bow I set the
pin in the center of my string and walked outside.
After 3 or 4 shots I was dead on at 20 yards, so I worked my way
back to 60 yards. Once I was happy with my groups at 60, I put the
site tape on that matched the marks I put on for 20 and 60.
I walked back out and started shooting at 27, 33, 44 and 52 yards,
just to make sure the sight tape was right. It was perfect!!!
As for the sight it's self, it's flawless. Very clean, no rattles at all.
The .010 fiber is very crisp with no starburst at all. And you can adjust
the rheostat housing to set the brightness of your pin.(SWEET!!!)
A few other things I would like to mention is that there is no need
for tools to adjust this sight once it is mounted on your bow, and the
sight tape's were all included.
So to end my review I would like to give the HHA DS-5510
a FIVE out of FIVE stars for a great sight. :star::star::star::star::star:

Thanks,
Shawn Hatem

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome sight for sure, I have the 5519 and just ordered the .010 housing today...

Was the pin bright enough in the .010 for you in lower light?

#48 ·
Awesome sight for sure, I have the 5519 and just ordered the .010 housing today...
Now that sounds like an interesting thing to do. Have to think about that. Even though the 0.019" pin works well, I suspect the 0.010" pin would be even better at longer ranges for sighting in on smaller targets. Also, I think the new pins are blade pins and that would provide better filament support.

Chris, since I don't think I can just swap out pins in my existing OL5519, could please email me with a cost to buy a new housing with the 0.010" blade pin. If I can swap them out, please let me know.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Cool - I just got the 0L-5000 on an Elite Energy I just picked up. I have'nt had time to shoot this sight yet. Very curious as to how I will like it compared to my norm of using the Sword Twilight Hunter. Just not sure that in a stand when the moment arrives I'd be too happy about haveing to adust that pin on a seconds notice if the deer changes distant in a hurry. HHhhmmm...

#25 ·
The pin was perfect in low light.
No need for a light at all, I just opened up the rheostat.

Shawn
Thanks a bunch, I kind of figured it would be.. The .019 is one of the brightest I have ever used, I used my rheostat more then i thought I would...

I do think HHA makes a great sight. They are very solid and I love the scope availability. I was wondering if the range wheel on the back has an adjustment to move the sight tape without moving the sight to finely adjust the tape. That was one of my turnoffs from the old HHA's since they didn't have a way to finely adjust the tape without removing it.

I am with SWbuckmaster. I have had to re-glue bubble to set 3rd axis because out west it is a must to have 3rd axis level. A wrong bubble at 40 yds spells trouble. Unfortunately my favorite sites the vital gears don't have it so I finally went with a spott hogg.
You sure can, just did it to mine when i put my new strings on.. Just take the HHA cover off the wheel (2 screws) and loosen the screw that holds the wheel and do all the fine tuning you want...:thumb:

I was looking in the Lancaster catalog and I see they offer the .010
pin on the OL5500. It has the rheostat also, but no yardage wheel. I
was wondering how the .010 pin looked? I was thinking replacing my
OL5000 with a .019 pin.
Might have a .019 head available next week, if you interested send me a PM...

#5 ·
I was looking in the Lancaster catalog and I see they offer the .010
pin on the OL5500. It has the rheostat also, but no yardage wheel. I
was wondering how the .010 pin looked? I was thinking replacing my
OL5000 with a .019 pin.

#8 ·
Was your bubble level spot on or did you have to compensate? I had to shim my HHA to get the bubble level with the bow. Great bright sight for sure.

#11 ·
Just got the same sight and love it so far. Havent got the room for 60yrds so that will have to wait till the weekend. Think im going to like the single pin a heck of a lot more than a multi pin. The sight picture is SOO much better. Cant wait till fall!!

#159 ·
Not sure why that would make it worthless? People have been shooting bows for decades without 3rd axis! I have never had a sight with 3rd axis and it has not been an issue for hunting, 3D shooting, or league shooting!

#24 ·
Nope, no third axis. But I have never had a hunting sight
with a third axis, and never had any issues.

Shawn

I do think HHA makes a great sight. They are very solid and I love the scope availability. I was wondering if the range wheel on the back has an adjustment to move the sight tape without moving the sight to finely adjust the tape. That was one of my turnoffs from the old HHA's since they didn't have a way to finely adjust the tape without removing it.

I am with SWbuckmaster. I have had to re-glue bubble to set 3rd axis because out west it is a must to have 3rd axis level. A wrong bubble at 40 yds spells trouble. Unfortunately my favorite sites the vital gears don't have it so I finally went with a spott hogg.

#44 ·
I ordered an OL5500 with the .010 pin and rheostat. I hope I can see it ok.
The pro shop guy said he looked at some brand of sight with the .010 pin
and he couldn't see it indoors at their range. Their range is pretty well lit.
I don't think it had 5' of fiber optic though.

#41 ·
Rheostat Clarification...

The rheostat is standard on the OL-5510, OL-5519, OL-5500, XL-5510, XL-5519, XL-5500 and the same models in the DS (Ultra) Series. The aluminum sleeve simply threads over the fiber optic wrap and modifies the pin brightness as you expose more/less fiber. Unfortunately, for those with the 5000 Series, there is no way to just add the rheostat as the sight housing requires additional machining steps.

Thanks to all the HHA supporters out there. We appreciate it.

Shoot straight!
Chris
www.hhasports.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.