a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: How often should I check trail camera?

Charleston, WV--wish there were bigger bucks here:(

How often should I check trail camera?

Hey guys and gals; Wanting any advice on how often I should check my trail cameras and fill my feeders? Is once a week too much? Every two weeks? I'm anxious to see my pics, but I'm also afraid if too often is too much.

check whenever you want, i have been checking mine weekly, sometimes going out to the spot to work on the food plot or stands during the middle of the week and i still see a ton of deer.

Tonight for example, went out there to fix a camera that was having a couple of small problems, got out there and there were 5 deer in my food plot, went and fixed the camera, while fixing it i had another deer come into the food plot, they obviously ran away, but i know without a doubt they don't care if i am out there a lot or not. I mowed the plot on sunday, so just gives lets you know i was there just 2 days earlier

I plan on leaving my cameras alone for the 2 weeks right before opener, that way the big bucks that might be getting spooked right now can settle down and make my land their home.
    a bow with wheels, and one that is a stick
    "SAVE PAPER! Use the animals as targets"
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson
    "If god didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?"

Good question, for you guys with food plots and multiple stands aren't you fearful of spooking deer which could affect their everyday travel routes or bedding sites?
    Romans 5:12

if your feeding them, I never worry, they get use to sounds that you make when filling, they associate it with the noise, I have seen deer run in to baited areas after I left 5 min

If you practice good scent control frequency is not too much of an issue. Just remember deer are crepuscular, not nocturnal.

Dani

re

I check mine weekly, but then again, I havent had a big buck on cam yet :-/
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

THe longer you can hold out the better...espically if you have a large memory card and good batteries.
    Mathews Monster CHILL

Every 2 weeks, mainly because the cams are on public land. If I knew they wouldn't walk, I'd push it to every 4 weeks. But during the season, 2 weeks is the perfect combination of not being so intrusive yet still being able to pick up any pattern shifts that may occur.

David
    2013 Tenpoint Titan Xtreme, BE Executioners
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX - 51.5 lb, 28" DL
    Spot Hogg Hunter w/Wrap, QAD HDX, Beman ICS Hunter 400s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade
    2011 Diamond Razor Edge - 50 lb, 28.5" DL
    Redhead Carbon Fury 4560s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade

Camera checks

I think it also depends on where your cameras are located. Field edges can be checked once a week without many issues. If you have cameras deeper in the cover I would try to minimize the disturbances if you can. I know what you mean about wanting to see the pictures...it is hard to be patient.

[QUOTE=badger07;1055179610] I know what you mean about wanting to see the pictures...it is hard to be patient.QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. Tomorrow is the day that I'm pulling my memory sticks and changing batteries on my cams. And based on what I had seen on my last round of pics, I'm chomping on the bit to go see what's around.

David
    2013 Tenpoint Titan Xtreme, BE Executioners
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX - 51.5 lb, 28" DL
    Spot Hogg Hunter w/Wrap, QAD HDX, Beman ICS Hunter 400s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade
    2011 Diamond Razor Edge - 50 lb, 28.5" DL
    Redhead Carbon Fury 4560s, Magnus Buzzcuts 125gr 2 blade

I have two approaches that work in my area[low hunting pressure] i either stay out for as long as poss.,goin twice in four months or go in reg. and accustome deer to your scent.Alot of people think that may be weird but we are on some realy nice bucks all season..

Quote Originally Posted by badger07 View Post
    I think it also depends on where your cameras are located. Field edges can be checked once a week without many issues. If you have cameras deeper in the cover I would try to minimize the disturbances if you can. I know what you mean about wanting to see the pictures...it is hard to be patient.

my thoughts exactly!
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Charleston, WV--wish there were bigger bucks here:(
    You guys have some great input on this topic for sure. Much appreciated!

I check mine once every week to week and a half, you don't wanna go out there too much, because you will eventually start spooking deer, and your scent will be out there too, keeping the deer from coming to your camera...

In the summer I check mine weekly. Once the season starts getting closer I will back out and check it every 2 -3 weeks and I am scent free.

whenever

once a week or mabey 2..

checked it today and BINGO!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is 800 miles away....so that definitely limits my visits! Cant wait to check it for the first time this friday after being out there 3 weeks! (hope i set it up right!
    FOB'n everything in sight
    GT500 29/78 Limbdriver, HHA 5519, Paradigm SOS, Paradigm CTA, TightSpot quiver...
    Victory Arrows, PROLINE Custom Strings! Grim Reaper Razortips leading the way
    Long Draw Outfitters Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Its late season in NE Ohio. Trail cam showing a lot of nocturnal bucks…pretty nice big body bucks. But wondering how often to check my camera?
    Right now trying to stay the course and catch one during day time hours. Getting very discouraged. What are your guys thoughts on just hangin it up for the year or keep tryin.
    PRMS0160.jpg
    Fred Bear CODE : SIMS LimbSavers : Easton Stalker Arrows : Eastman Broadheads : Tru-Fire Hurricane Buckle FB Release : TruGlo Brite•Site Xtreme : RealTree Camo

i started checking and filling my feeders once a week...after i turned the dispense meter way down cripes i would have been out there every two days to fill it!!!lol
    2014 Mathews Creed XS
    27.5" Draw 62 LB
    Qad Ultra Rest Hunter
    Grim Reaper Whitetail 100 grain tips