a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which states hit the most deer with cars?

Which states hit the most deer with cars?

Well, here's the answer from an insurance study for 2004-2005:

Worst states for deer collisions based on total number of claims filed with one of the countries largest auto insurers:

1) Pennsylvania
    2) Michigan
    3) Illinois
    4) Ohio
    5) Georgia
    6) Minnesota
    7) Virginia
    8) Indiana
    9) Texas
    10) Wisconsin

Looks like I better mow a few more down to get Utah on the list!!

Joking, obviously.

Not surprising that PA is leading the charge...scary driving those windy country roads at night!
    "ONLY A MEDIOCRE MAN IS ALWAYS AT HIS BEST"

Idaho, Montana and Utah are not on the list because we put bullbars on our vehicles or we'd be filing a claim twice a week.

I can't belive ohios not #1..We have so many deer its about impossible not to hit em...Plus all the ones that get hit are 140"+....lol

I would think it would be Texas. More deer, more people. And a lot get hit with big trucks and trucks with brush guards. They never are reported.

I can believe that PA is #1. When I was stationed back east I'd go down I-81 on a regular basis and we could use the roadside carcasses to tell time and distance.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

A customer in a little town west of Columbia, SC., told me a story about having a massive amount of car/deer accidents several years ago. It got so bad that one of the major insurance companies sent an investigator, thinking there was a scam going on. While driving into town, the investigator hit a deer.
    If I'm cold and wet - something's about to die...
    Current Location ... http://goo.gl/maps/LA3qj

i would imagine my state of NJ hits more deer per square mile than any. u could easily ride a 20 mile stretch of some highways in the rut and see 50-100 dead deer a day! i work in a seven square mile town and we had over 200 accidents with deer last year.

Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

Easy answer. Alabama is #1, it's just that most people round here dont have insurance.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

Doesn't suprise me that Pennsylvania is #1... I drove through Pennsylvania once, and only about 10 miles into Pennsylvania, I saw probably 6-10 dead deer... It was wild...

Nj

Quote Originally Posted by gobblengrunt View Post
    i would imagine my state of NJ hits more deer per square mile than any.
    Yeah, what he said!
    Last edited by Eric W; July 29th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
    OK, so my comment didn't add any significant wisdom to this discussion. But it DID up my post count, and pretty soon I will be regarded as a wise, experienced expert based on that alone.

NJ should definatley be on the list!!
    "Archery is a combination of form and equipment, one should never let the other down." -AB, 2009

NJ won't come close, its to small of a state.

PA has actually been in the top 3 for the last 10+ years. Annually more deer are killed on the road then by hunters, I think the ratio last time I saw the numbers (04?) was about 2:1 for car accidents to hunters.

Keep in mind as well - this is ONLY reported impacts compared to inflated numbers by the PGC (they double the harvest numbers yearly to account for "people not reporting")

If there is no damage done or not enough and the person doesn't report the insurance company doesn't add that in to make the stats look better.

So is the state with the lowest number the one that has better drivers with evasive manuvers?

Not suprised at PA being #1

I can believe it because I have to do a crash report everytime somebody waffles one here in PA.
    "Vegetarian-Old Indian word for bad hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by motu View Post
    a customer in a little town west of columbia, sc., told me a story about having a massive amount of car/deer accidents several years ago. It got so bad that one of the major insurance companies sent an investigator, thinking there was a scam going on. While driving into town, the investigator hit a deer. :d
    nice!

if you lived here in pa youd understand why we lead the country in accidents , i think thares around 40,000 deer killed per year here on the road , alot of cars alot of roads alot of deer

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU View Post
    A customer in a little town west of Columbia, SC., told me a story about having a massive amount of car/deer accidents several years ago. It got so bad that one of the major insurance companies sent an investigator, thinking there was a scam going on. While driving into town, the investigator hit a deer.
    That's ironic, and funny. Two evenings ago comming down the other side of Tussey mnt. there was a doe and two fawns in the middle of my lane. They didn't run just stood there checking me out I was at a complete stop. Stuck my head out the window and yelled let's go, they didn't run until I opened the door. Nutty animals.

That explains everything!

Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    NJ won't come close, its to small of a state.
    True, but if we look at number of deer/auto collisions PER SQUARE MILE I think that NJ would be a lot closer to the top.
    OK, so my comment didn't add any significant wisdom to this discussion. But it DID up my post count, and pretty soon I will be regarded as a wise, experienced expert based on that alone.

I've heard that West Virginia is way ahead of everyone in deer accidents per capita, and I believe Michigan was second.

Pa. does....around 40,000 reported deer/vehicle collisions a year....also, there are 3-5 UNreported collisions for every reported one .....here in Indiana we have around 10,000 reported so that means there are around 30-50 thousand here in this state........
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

I'm surprised WI is that far down the list. Last year I read somewhere there were supposedly over 45,000 car/deer related accidents. I need to find some info on this NOT that I want our state that hig up the list.
    2014 PSE Full Throttle 26.5" DL, 60lbs, CJ Mark III sight, AQ Custom Rods,PSE X Weave Pro 300, 85 Grain Grim Reapers
    2014 PSE Full Premo Breathn Custom SHW Prairie, CJ Mark III sight, PSE Phantom rest, PSE Pro X Weave 300, 85 grain Grim Reapers

Alot of that might be due to the salt they put of the roads in the northern states.

Up until a few years ago, SC and Miss were tied with an average of 64 deer per sq mile. We have reduced our herd by 25%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast