Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the acorn crop look this year??

How does the acorn crop look this year??

Anyone been in the woods lately? We going to have a nice heavy crop? When will they start dropping?

Here in S. Tx we are in the midst of the worst drought since they've been keeping records, so I doubt we'll have any acorns. I just hope my live oaks survive the stress.

Hope you've had normal/good rains and a good season sitting over a nice white oak full of those sweet deer candy acorns.!!

Lookin' good here

spent the time, energy, and $$ to fertilize a ridge littered with white oaks- there is no comparison with the ridge we chose not to fertilze - the ridge we treated greened first this spring, has a heavy canopy, and several trees with acorns as big as my thumbs. Trails are coming in from every direction - appears to have been worth all of the work.

can't wait
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

sorry to hear that dustoffer.........that gets me excited to hear your story 12ringer!

I am hoping our white oaks will have a great year this year. Cant wait to get in there to find out.

they are starting to drop in this area already

Quote Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
    Here in S. Tx we are in the midst of the worst drought since they've been keeping records, so I doubt we'll have any acorns. I just hope my live oaks survive the stress.

Hope you've had normal/good rains and a good season sitting over a nice white oak full of those sweet deer candy acorns.!!
    This is actually good for next year.When oaks are in a drought situation survival is all they do.Next year you will have the biggest acorn crop you have ever seen.

Yes i read alot of stupid stuff

09 Hoyt Powerhawk LH 58# 29", 10 PSE Vendetta LH 58# 29"

Acorns are beginning to drop around my house. Looks like a good year.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    Easton Axis arrows
    100Gr NAP Hellrazor's
    QAD Ultrarest / HHA sight

after 5 years of bad drought, we finally have gotten a fair bit of rain the last 6-8 months. The oaks look great here this year.
    See that one low and right? Don't worry about that little guy....
    I hate turkeys.

we have both northern red oaks and white oaks in our yard, there are plenty of acorns on both but they are not very large yet and none are dropping.
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

Question Acorns

SW Ohio is loaded this year .

Bad here in MN... EXTREMELY dry and very few acorns...in MN if you can find 'em that's gonna be a hot spot!
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

The squirrels seem to be working overtime around my house. From one tree to the other they go , many nuts are hitting the ground. I think I will be doing some squirrel hunting. So tasty in the crock pot they will go !

Crazy Wolf.

Going to the farm this week, will know then.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by redruff View Post
    Bad here in MN... EXTREMELY dry and very few acorns...in MN if you can find 'em that's gonna be a hot spot!
    The red oaks are loaded this year where I hunt.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

i have a oak (not sure why kind) in my front yard and they really seem to be dropping heavy this year. It kinda hurts when you catch one with top of your head point down but hopefully it will help spell success this year!
    Mathews Switchback 29.5"/70#
    100gr. Wasp Jak-Hammer SSTs
    Spot Hogg, Hogg it sight
    WB

Im in oklahoma and have been riding around my property and the acorn crops on my red oaks are thriving. Looks like its a good acorn crop this year.

we have had a ton of rain this season. A lot more then usual. I would say we will have a bucnch!!
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

In Northern MO we will have plenty of white oak and red oak acorns from the looks of things. Here is what one white oak tree looked like back in early June. The acorns are now big enough to tell that the tree has them from 20-30 yards away.

"This is actually good for next year.When oaks are in a drought situation survival is all they do.Next year you will have the biggest acorn crop you have ever seen."

The big if in the equation is "if" we get some rain. Hard to wish bad times on the folks along the coast, but we could sure use a small hurricane or two.

I have not even looked actually where I hunt. In 2 weeks I will be headed in to trim some things I wanted to do during the winter but never got around to it.
    PSE X-Force, G5 sight , QAD drop away , G-5 peep sight , Bohning 6 arrow quiver,
    Flatliner stab

Spotty

In places they are heavy, others there are none.

I was checking a few spots on one of the properties I hunt and saw them on the ground as I was walking out and about hit the ground with happiness, they are there this year. 36 days to go.

When again is the best time to hunt around the acorn trees?

Better then last year at least.
    Side affect: holy squirrel infestation.
    PSE Proshop LiteSpeed - Trophy Taker Pronghorn - Limbsaver S-Coil - Tru-Fire & Fletchhunter Wrist Release - Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Hunter Plus
    pathfinderfishandgame.com

I was out this morning walking around with the dog and the boys and we found a decent amount of acorns off the White Oaks around my house. This fall looks really good. I gotta get to the one stand of White Oaks and getsd some lanes cleared out.

Acorn

Was poking around the woods today near where I hunt during lunch this is what i found
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PSE X-Force, G5 sight , QAD drop away , G-5 peep sight , Bohning 6 arrow quiver,
    Flatliner stab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast