Archery Talk Forum banner

New HS Super Talker vs HS True Talker

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nicko 
#1 ·
I was at Cabela's in Hamburg yesterday getting some new camo and saw HS has a new grunt tube called the Super Talker. I was intrigued and since it was only $13.00, I picked one up. I already have the Tru Talker but wanted to see how this one compared.

Visual Differences - At first glance, the Super Talker is visually different. It is a drab olive green and the Tru Talker is black. Absent on the ST are the memory bands that you arrange as markers for buck, doe, yearling, and fawn sounds. In it's place is just a flexible rubber covering similar to the TT. Making the different sounds on the ST is up to the user to determine the correct finger position. The reed setup inside the tubes appears identical and the extension on the ST can be removed for adjusting the preset tone just like on the TT. The Super Talker is also about 1.5 - 2 inches shorter but has no flexible tube on the end the way the Tru Talker does. If you want to make grunts sound like they are coming from different directions, you need to turn your head around with the ST as opposed to bending the tube extension on the TT.

Sound - The ST seems to have a higher pitch on its sound compared to the TT. It appears to be the result of the shorter tube length. When I cupped my hand around the end of the ST and made it like a tube, the sound more closely matched that of the TT. However, the ST sounded a bit louder due to what I perceived as a slightly higher pitch. This may be a good thing since I read a recent article in Deer and Deer Hunting that said deer hear higher pitched sounds better than lower pitched ones.

Conclusion - I see nothing wrong with the Super Talker but it really only appears to have one advantage over the Tru Talker......the ST is shorter. Aside from that, I'd still give the nod to the original Tru Talker when picking which call to take with me. I prefer the flexible extension tube and the memory bands which make choosing the sound easier when you don't have time to think or look down or fiddle around.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting write up. I had seen the new Super Talker and was hoping they put a more permanet banding system on it since the bands on my True Talker sometimes have a tendency to walk so to speak.

One question, I've noticed that my True Talker sometimes has issues with is trying to make fawn calls; they sound too low for what I would expect. Does the Super Talker make these better since you said that it's pitched higher?

David

#4 ·
The fawn sounds from the Super Talker might be a touch louder because of the shorter tube but the tone of the call sounds pretty consistent to the Tru Talker tone. The reed setup in these calls appears identical.

I'm pretty confident that if you put an extension on the end of the Super Talker tube to make it as long as the Tru Talker that there would be no difference in the sound from one to another.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.