FireNock vs. Other Brands

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FireNock vs. Other Brands

I had the chance to compare 3 brands of lighted nocks to see which one performed better, which was brighter, and was more reliable. I Compared: FireNock,CX Lazer Eye, And Easton Tracer. Hope this little review helps some guys make a decision on what lighted nock to buy
    kurt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

FireNock

FireNock “Review”
    By: Kurt Demmerly

Price-$19.95
    Purchased From-Firenock
    Arrow- Gold Tip XP Hunter

Pros

First off, I would like to say that FireNocks customer service is EXCELLENT!!! Mr.Haung is a great guy to talk to, and not to mention the super fast shipping, I ordered my FireNock after I ordered the two “other brand” nocks and received it before I got the other two.
    Assembly was very simple and easy. It would take a lot for someone to mess up putting one of these together. My FireNock fit snuggly in my gold tip arrow and wasn’t loose like other brands. I shot it in both low light and during the day and it still was bright. At first I was a bit skeptical I mean heck it said it was “the most advanced lighted nock” on the package. I figured that’s just more things that can go wrong right? Guess what I was wrong!!!
    I love the reliability and brightness of this nock, of all the ones I tested FireNock was #1 in brightness. After the 100 shots I took with it I never had it not turn on. And I love how you just drop it like 6” or so and it will shot off, no more twisting it with your teeth trying to get it to go off. In my honest opinion this is the most technological nock ever produced and its going to take a lot to make one better. And FireNock will always be in my quiver.

Cons

This is gonna be hard to believe but I couldn’t find anything wrong with the nock to write about. Lol. So Im just gonna give you a few ideas as far as upgrades: Flash mode like the tracer nock, as far as colors you have them all, maybe a molded shell around were the battery connects to the circuit so if water enters the shaft it wont fry the circuit. Otherwise you have it pretty much perfect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

CX Lazer Eyer

CX Laser Eye “Review”

Price-$8.99
    Purchased From- Keystone Country Store
    Arrow- CX Terminator

Pros

The reason I bought this nock was due to its price, $8.99 is a steal for a lighted nock, but does it work? I figured that it wouldn’t work so well because it was so cheap but of course I was wrong again. During the 100 or so shots I took with this nock it only failed 5 times ,and that was towards the end of my shots, that might not sound good but for the price you cant go wrong. And besides you should only need one shot when it comes to bow hunting so these nocks would be perfect for that.
    It is very light weight and doesn’t add a lot of weight to the back of your arrow which means perfect arrow flight as if you had a regular nock on you arrow. All in all if you are a bow hunter on a budget and want to try a lighted nock out this year then the cx laser eye might be what your looking for.

Cons

During the testing of the three brand name nocks I planned on using the same arrow, but the cx nock wouldn’t fit in my gold tip arrow so I had to switch that’s something I didn’t like. Otherwise you are going to need a cx arrow to use these nocks. As far as brightness it wasn’t that bright, It was the dimmest of the 3 nocks, I shot it during the ay and I couldn’t see it until I got up to the target.
    It is based on the homemade thill light nock which was a turn off for me since none of my homemade nocks worked well. And in order to deactivate the nock you need to pull the nock out a little and when you shoot the next time its not seated all the way, I didn’t like that but that’s just my opinion. It just NEEDS TO BE BRIGHTER!!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Easton Tracer

Easton Tracer “Review”

Price-$9.99
    Purchased From- Keystone Country Store
    Arrow- Gold Tip XP Hunter

Pros

This is a pretty unique nock. First off I love how the nock wont turn on if its bumped around in your quiver due to the activation by magnet and not by the pressure of the nock when either shot from a bow or nocked around in your quiver. The brightness of this nock is amazing, its so bright that it stand up against the incredible FireNock. I shot it both during the day and in the evening and it was still very bright.
    The Blinker mode on this nock is genius. It not only helps save battery life but it also assists in finding lost arrows after dark. This nock never failed me when I was shooting it, even after the 100 or more shots I took with it, it never got dim and always turned on when shot. So all in all this is a very advanced nock, very dependable in the field and would make a great addition to anyone’s quiver.

Cons
    The only thing I disliked about the tracer nock was that you needed to mount a magnet on your bow in order for it to be activated. Its kind of a hassle when you could just install and shoot using a FireNock or even the CX nock. But other than that it stands up well to the FireNock in brightness and dependability , I just wish it didn’t need a magnet to use it.

Good review, just FYI, Firenock is already WaterProof.
    Doesn't need a cover

Quote Originally Posted by pjwatson05 View Post
    Good review, just FYI, Firenock is already WaterProof.
    Doesn't need a cover
    They are?!
    I bought some for my ST Epics before last season and they crapped out in a slushy, rain-snow mix. I even used the bowstring wax idea from Dorge, but they still managed to die.
    They didn't fit very tight and I've heard the new version for the ST Epic is tighter, that would be beneficial. Even though I had a couple die, I still feel they are far superior to the competition in terms of brightness and ease of use and none of the others can compare to the Firenock customer service.

I have a bunch of each and shot them all quite a bit to test them. No comparison, Firenock easily outlasts the others in a durability test. They are also super easy to use:NO magnets, etc and the work every time. Pay a little extra, get a LOT more.

how do these nocks compare to the Lumenok?Ive been using the Lumenok for the last couple years( I personally have had good luck with them, but I read alot of negative complaints about not functioning properly).Im using the Axis arrows so what ever I use has to work in them.
    Halon 6...HHA XL5519, QAD HDX, B Stinger, Arrow Web CT, Gold Tip Pros & Rage Hypo's

Hoyt Gamemaster 45#....Gold Tip 35/55 trads....Simmons TreeSharks.

Tenpoint Shadow Ultralight...Rage Hypo's

Nice review!!
    GO GATORS!!

Dear StickbowHunter;

This was a good practical review... I'd like to ask your help in expanding it and making it complete for AT members and anyone interested in lighted nocks. I think folks would be interested in the weight of each nock, colors available, etc. Maybe a digital pic posted with all nocks lit at dusk one evening for brightness comparison.
    There are several other nocks available that aren't on your test list. If you're willing to do a similar test on these, please PM me with your address and I'll send you them at no charge to do your review on these too! Thanks for your initiative and thoughtfulness in sharing your experience.

The originator of the Lighted Nock: Lumenok by Burt Coyote $8.99/ $24.99/3
    G5's New G Force Lighted Nocks $19.99 each
    Hawglite's Po' Nock Lighted Nocks (not in the same league as others, but very economical) just $17.99 for 3 pack

Yours in Archery,
    Rob
    Rob Kaufhold; (Passionately President and founder)
    Lancaster Archery Supply TRADTECHARCHERY.COM
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2195-A Old Phila. Pike Lancaster, Pa. 17602
    800-829-7408 x 210 Fax 717.431.1779

Quote Originally Posted by ROB@LAS View Post
    This was a good practical review... I'd like to ask your help in expanding it and making it complete for AT members and anyone interested in lighted nocks. I think folks would be interested in the weight of each nock, colors available, etc. Maybe a digital pic posted with all nocks lit at dusk one evening for brightness comparison.
    There are several other nocks available that aren't on your test list. If you're willing to do a similar test on these, please PM me with your address and I'll send you them at no charge to do your review on these too! Thanks for your initiative and thoughtfulness in sharing your experience.

G5's New G Force Lighted Nocks $19.99 each
    Hawglite's Po' Nock Lighted Nocks (not in the same league as others, but very economical) just $17.99 for 3 pack

Yours in Archery,
    Rob
    WOW, that sounds like a great deal.
    Halon 6...HHA XL5519, QAD HDX, B Stinger, Arrow Web CT, Gold Tip Pros & Rage Hypo's

Hoyt Gamemaster 45#....Gold Tip 35/55 trads....Simmons TreeSharks.

Tenpoint Shadow Ultralight...Rage Hypo's

That does sound like a good idea

Firenocks are the best I've tried. However, be advised that they have a 1 year shelf life on the battery, whether it is installed or not and whether it is used or not. That's what Dorge told me.
    Elite Archery
    Easton Axis Arrows
    QAD Exodus Broadheads
    Hidden Content

The only negative I have with these is removing the circuit board from the nock with ease. I wanted to change from red to green, but could not remove it without possibly damaging the board or destroying the nock. Red was brighter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ratfart View Post
    They are?!
    I bought some for my ST Epics before last season and they crapped out in a slushy, rain-snow mix. I even used the bowstring wax idea from Dorge, but they still managed to die.
    They didn't fit very tight and I've heard the new version for the ST Epic is tighter, that would be beneficial. Even though I had a couple die, I still feel they are far superior to the competition in terms of brightness and ease of use and none of the others can compare to the Firenock customer service.
    Well I should say they are waterproof "now" this years models. That's weird, I shot my Axis FMJ's in all kinds of weather & didn't have any issues last year.

Yea they are definetly the best, check out this years models, no issues with moisture, with the bow fishing adapter, they are under guarentee for 60 ft of Salt water for up to 60 days, from what I have read.

Thank You stickbow hunter, I really like the idea of lighted nocks, I've made my own and tried many others, only to have them fail in short order, I've been wanting to try these ,but the cost was something that put me off after my results with the others, just figured that these just were more of the same, but sure looks like I may be wrong, and I believe I send for some and give them a try, and if they work as good as you say, I'll be one happy archer....Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by onlyaspike View Post
    how do these nocks compare to the Lumenok?Ive been using the Lumenok for the last couple years( I personally have had good luck with them, but I read alot of negative complaints about not functioning properly).Im using the Axis arrows so what ever I use has to work in them.
    I am currently testing the FireNock versus the Lumenok and the CX Lazer Eye. My review will be finished in a few weeks.

Firenock and water proof

Quote Originally Posted by ratfart View Post
    They are?!
    Half way through 2009 we have notice that the epoxy we use not as what I had expected. The first few generations of Firenock (v1.0 - v3.0, it is at v3.15 now) uses the medial grade epoxy as the believe is that it will let moisture out. As more research was done, it was confirmed that the epoxy actually hold moisture which is no good for what I needed. So I move to a UV cure epoxy which is 32,000% more water resist than the previous one. Only down side is that the shelf life and temperature is very sensitive on this epoxy. With the new epoxy, my last test had shown that you can drop Firenock with a battery into water and let it be till the battery short out. then remove it from water, air dry it, install a new battery and the system will still function. Those 24K gold connectors are not there for looks. Last, I understand it is impossible to have electronics that work for ever, so I offer lifetime replacement warranty for Firenocks. To know more detail please read the back of our 2 page catalog or our warranty page as link below. I have enclosed most of the text below too.

http://www.firenock.com/warranty.htm

LIFETIME REPLACEMENT / UPGRADE / SIDEGRADE
    For a small fee, Firenock, LLC does offer a refresh/upgrade service for some products that are out of warranty. This service is only available in the USA.

After the 30 day warranty period has ended, Firenock™ brand lighted nocks are eligible for refresh and Lightning Nock™ brand lighted nocks are eligible for upgrade. Your old Firenock / Lightning Nock circuit(s) and polycarbonate nocks can be refreshed / upgraded and you will receive working Firenock circuit(s) and new polycarbonate nock(s) for a small service fee.

As of February 2009 we have expanded the service to include sidegrade. Firenock owners can now pick and choose any style, any model and any color of the Firenock he/she wanted for refresh. Which means if you decided to change arrows which have a different internal diameter (need a new style nock, from "S", to "A", "E", "C/H", or "F" and vice versa), or if you decided that you prefer a different model of circuit (hunting to target and vice versa), or a different color of LED (blue, clear, green, orange, red and yellow), or a different color of nock (blue, clear, green, orange, red, oak, pink, smoke and yellow in case of the "S" style); please include those specifics when you send your Firenock back for refresh/sidegrade/lifetime replacement warranty. If you do not specify the nock color, nock style, circuit LED color, and circuit model; the same nock, style, model, and color will be send back to your under this service. This service is only valid when funds are sent along with the lighted nock(s) and circuit(s). This service is subject to change without notice and can be terminated at anytime.

Refresh Services Procedures:
    Please send your old Firenock/Lightning nock circuit(s) and polycarbonate nocks with funds to Firenock, LLC, 511 Robert Street, Henry, IL 61537-1146 (see below for service fee). Please do not send any “O”-rings or batteries. We cannot be responsible for anything that is not part of the refresh service. Batteries and O-rings are not part of the refresh service as they are considered consumable, if you need them please make sure you add them to your refresh service order. Shipping and handling is included in the service fee for this refresh service.

The service fee for refresh service is as follows (Shipping and handling charge is included):
    $10.00 for 1 Firenock
    $12.00 for 1 Lightning Nock
    $25.00 for 3 Firenocks
    $33.00 for 3 Lightning Nocks

Additional accessories can be purchased at the following price along with the refresh service without incurring shipping and handling fee:
    $9.95 for 3 batteries
    $2.00 for 1 set of 3 O-rings for "S","E" or "A" style nocks
    $5.00 for 1 set of 3 O-rings for "C\H" or "F" style nocks
    Dorge O Huang Hidden Content Tel: (815) 780-1695 C: (708) 267-0474
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: Hidden Content • Web Store: Hidden Content
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane® Jig, AeroRest™, APS, PAPS, AeroPoint™ with FACT™(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, ACT, CTI, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, AeroConcept™, AeroBowString Jig, Traumahawk™, Dagger™, and Hydro® systems.

Battery life

Quote Originally Posted by meyerske View Post
    Firenocks are the best I've tried. However, be advised that they have a 1 year shelf life on the battery, whether it is installed or not and whether it is used or not. That's what Dorge told me.
    That is absolutely correct. Like all high end equipment, you need high end fuel. No other battery in this size can handle -17F operating temperature or have a initial blast rate of 164mA. It is meant to give out the maximum output for that is what most customer demand, That's said, I actually have tone down Firenock's LED 87% so it can last the whole 24 hours. You heard it right, the Firenock's LED is rated 11,000 LUX, you are only seeing 1,550 LUX. If that full 100% is used, it will burn out the battery so fast, but who need a lighted nock that only last an hours with a fresh battery. Some said I should do it for those video guy really do not care about battery life. They can afford to use a new one on EVERY SHOT. I may do that in the future for them, but not now. I have over 140 products as of now, sure do not need a whole new series on top of that as of now... LOL

That's said, next year Firenock may offer 3 different performance battery so for those who prefer a longer shelf life battery can have it their way too. How about battery that have a self discharge rate of 0.5% per year? Compare to 2% for the first 6 month and then accelerate for the last 6 till it dies at about 13 months with the current model. Your heard me right, theocratical the ex-long life battery can be good for over 100 year before it totally drain out. But the cost is 700% more than the current one at factory cost. The sad part is that the blast rats is only 53mA compare to current Firenock's 164mA. We are also looking into getting a mid grade battery which have a shelf life of 36 months, the only down side is it only have 65% of current battery output, but is 20 percent lighter too. With a field changeable battery design like Firenock, I can offer you as many choice as I can manage. The question is who may want all those choices and is it worth it to offer all those.
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: Hidden Content • Web Store: Hidden Content
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane® Jig, AeroRest™, APS, PAPS, AeroPoint™ with FACT™(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, ACT, CTI, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, AeroConcept™, AeroBowString Jig, Traumahawk™, Dagger™, and Hydro® systems.

that is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by frog gigger View Post
    The only negative I have with these is removing the circuit board from the nock with ease. I wanted to change from red to green, but could not remove it without possibly damaging the board or destroying the nock. Red was brighter anyway.
    In every trade show that I did, the circuit board iswasremove and re-install into the nock in front of so many people with no less than 50 times per day. i.e. move from S to S, S to C, C back to S, or A to E and E back to A. The way to do it is first pinch the nock cylinder to oval form, make sure you do it at 90 degree off set from the clip and lock holes on the nock as our installation diagram 6, the circuit board is now release and you can reinstall it into another nock. The only exception to this rule is the "A" style as there is just so little material to work with. The nock may not survive more than 10 changes.

great post thanks for sharing...

Thanks, i hope this will help some people figure out what kinda lighted nocks they would be interested in buying. Give them a shot you will be amazed with the results.
    Kurt

I have both Firenock, Lumenock. I have had Lumenock for 3 years and they are still on the same battery. I hear the Firenock only last 12 to 13 months. I ordered a pack of batteries for my Lumenocks that were a few years old. Had to cut the material away from the battery to replace it. Ended up breaking a Lumenock due to this. New Lumenocks are very easy to replace the batteries. Keep both in my quiver.

A LITTLE correction

Quote Originally Posted by ROB@LAS View Post
    The first lighted nock was patent and registered by Sam Carissimi, on Aug 29, 1980, Pat# 4,340,930 It is a design with tiny light bulb.
    The 2nd lighted nock was patent and registered by Tommy Bennett, on Oct 15, 1985, Pat# 4,547,837 It is a design with tiny LED.
    The 3rd lighted nock was patent and registered by John Call, on Jun 28, 1992, Pat# 5,134,552 First mention acceleration based lighted nock.
    The 4th lighted nock was patent and registered by Jeffery Ginder, on Sept 26, 2000, Pat# 6,123,631 First mention acceleration based lighted nock.
    The 5th lighted nock was patent and registered by Thomas Jones, on Sept 26 2, 2002, Pat# 6,364,499. It is a switch inside nock design.
    The 6th lighted nock was patent and registered by Wayne Simonton, on May 21, 2002, Pat# 6,390,642 It is a LED with magnetic activation and bore in nock. (what Easton have purchased)

Then the Lumenok patent came. There is no less than 6 before Lumenok, and Tommy Bennett is the FireTail that got sold in Sport Authority Nationwide back in 1980s.

Above are those what I can easily find in USPTO.

Apology to Dorge about first lighted nocks

Hi Dorge;
    I apologize for mis-speaking....I thought when I typed that statement that I should check it out first, but was tight on time... I meant to say/imply that the guys at Lumenock have been the first to bring lighted nocks to a place of popularity thru their marketing and promotion using Hunting TV shows, etc.
    Your FireNock is certainly "the" state of the art lighted nock on the market and I meant no disrespect. We pride ourselves on giving archers as many choices as possible for any product category including lighted nocks.
    Thank you for building a great quality product and your support in the industry. We are proud to offer FireNocks as a first class option.
    Sincerely,
    Rob
    Rob Kaufhold; (Passionately President and founder)
    Lancaster Archery Supply TRADTECHARCHERY.COM
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2195-A Old Phila. Pike Lancaster, Pa. 17602
    800-829-7408 x 210 Fax 717.431.1779

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast