Thread: Mission vs Mathews

Mission vs Mathews

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum so I thought I would pose a question but not sure if this has been discussed.

I currently have a PSE Mach10 (single cam) with a 29" draw set at 70lbs. I shoot a 395 grain arrow @ 267 FPS. This seems a bit slow and the bow is loud in comparison to the Mathews bows.

So I am in the market for a new bow. I would like to get either a Mathews or the Mission. I was wondering what is the difference between these lines of bows? Harmonic dampeners is the only thing I can see however that shouldn't constitute a $250 dollar price difference.

So is my bow a bit slow? Would I expect to gain at least another 20 plus FPS more with a new bow with a similar setup?

If anyone knows of any previous discussions regarding an S2, Reezen, Drenalin, Journey or Buckmasters please post a link.

Thanks for any input.

Mathews or Mission? Owned by the same guy - Matt McPherson. Can't go wrong either way. In an interview Matt said he started Mission for those (like you) who don't want to soak the money into a bow. As far as picking up speed? You would definatly with a Reezen (if you are staying with single cam) Not too familar with Mission bows....Good luck.

i don't care for the new mathews bows. i think the older ones are better (Just my opinion). The S2 is the old Switchback, mathews brought it back. if you do a search here, you will find the Switchback to be one of the most favorite mathews bow to shoot by mathews shooters.

not just harmonic dampeners, you got that fancy shmancy roller guard too!!

I had my eye on a journey, it is a heck of a bow but went with an S2 because I found a smoking deal on a used one. If I were dead set on buying a new mathews/mission bow.....I would go with one of the mission line without batting an eye.

I shoot a mission journey at 29" and 70#. Shoots a 400 gr arrow 270 fps. Not a speed bow by any stretch, but it is really smooth to draw and quiet and shock free at the shot. Same specs as the switchback xt. If you want speed check out the Reezen, some people dont like it but I do.

There are several differences between the Mathews and Mission lines. It just so happened that these differences didn't make enough reason for me not to buy Mission.

I would consider the Mission to be like buying older technology. The Mission line (I don't know if this applies to ALL of the line) uses bushings instead of bearings in the axles. Mission has no fancy rollers, just guides. The risers are "machined", and NOT cast like some people claim. So that's good. The Mission line doesn't have much in the way in parrallel limb technology, again, older style.
    The benefits to Mission are that they are covered under the same awesome warranty that a Mathews is. They are great shooting and very smooth and quiet, but not super fast and are good quality. The best part is that they are priced like older bows so anyone can afford to buy one....or even 2 like I did
    State of Jefferson
    Mission UX2 62lb

29" Beman ICS Hunter 400, G5 Montec, Scott Shark & a bisquit

Quote Originally Posted by outpost22 View Post
    There are several differences between the Mathews and Mission lines. It just so happened that these differences didn't make enough reason for me not to buy Mission.

I would consider the Mission to be like buying older technology. The Mission line (I don't know if this applies to ALL of the line) uses bushings instead of bearings in the axles. Mission has no fancy rollers, just guides. The risers are "machined", and NOT cast like some people claim. So that's good. The Mission line doesn't have much in the way in parrallel limb technology, again, older style.
    The benefits to Mission are that they are covered under the same awesome warranty that a Mathews is. They are great shooting and very smooth and quiet, but not super fast and are good quality. The best part is that they are priced like older bows so anyone can afford to buy one....or even 2 like I did
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Mission Eliminator; Journey and Buckmasters all have Parrallel Limbs. What do you mean by "The Mission line doesn't have much in the way in parrallel limb technology". Just curious. It looks like half their line up is parrallel. Is there somthing better in the Mathews line up as far just the limbs go? I don't know much about it I would think the tech behind the limbs would be pretty similar. Very curious to get your input though.

I shoot the mission eliminator, with 400 grain arrow. 70lbs 27 DL and Im getting 293 fps and 73 pounds of kinetic energy.

Quote Originally Posted by moreammo View Post
    What do you mean by "The Mission line doesn't have much in the way in parrallel limb technology". Just curious. Very curious to get your input though.
    My wording choice was poor. If you look at the new Mathews bows (most except for DXT, Drenanlin, S2, Switchback), the limbs are actually closer to true parallel or past parallel than the Mission line is. It seems like most of the new speed bows have their limbs almost inverted now, like the Monster and XLR8. The Mission line has them designed more obtuse (like older bows) even though they may be called "parallel" in design. That is all I meant by "older" technology as the new trend in design points toward "radical" limb angles.
    Besides, I don't believe Mathews or any other bow company would let their "entry level" (not meant as a derogatory term) bows out perform their high end bows.
    State of Jefferson
    Mission UX2 62lb

29" Beman ICS Hunter 400, G5 Montec, Scott Shark & a bisquit

When I looked at the Mission Buckmasters it has a machined riser,parrallel limbs, roller guard and is about 316 FPS with an MSRP of $699. When you compare a Drenalin it has all same features but 4 FPS faster and $150 more.

So maybe its the harmonic dampeners and the types of bushings used. I never thought a company would cut corners there. I will take a look at the smaller details.

My wording choice was poor. If you look at the new Mathews bows (most except for DXT, Drenanlin, S2, Switchback), the limbs are actually closer to true parallel or past parallel than the Mission line is. It seems like most of the new speed bows have their limbs almost inverted now, like the Monster and XLR8. The Mission line has them designed more obtuse (like older bows) even though they may be called "parallel" in design. That is all I meant by "older" technology as the new trend in design points toward "radical" limb angles.
    Besides, I don't believe Mathews or any other bow company would let their "entry level" (not meant as a derogatory term) bows out perform their high end bows.
    Makes sence. I was just curious if I was missing something. I have an Eliminator and I love it. very little vibration if any, whisper quiet and has been very reliable for me.

me toooooo

Great answers here!

I also am looking hard at a Mission U2 or X3. I gotta make up my mind about 1 or 2 cams! LOL too many choices!

Keep the replies comin'

Best, DB

The visual differences are obviously the Mission line dosn't have the dampners, or the roller gaurd.
    I shoot both lines, and would recomened either or. For me, i think the Mission line, along with the new Hoyt Turbohawk, is the best bow value going.
    My mission will shoot right with my Dren LD all day long out to 30 yards. My LD shoots better at 30 plus, mainly because it's more stable for me to hold(longer ata) The draw cycle, and wall on the Mission is excellent.
    Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Mission Journey

I bought a Mission Journey of the rack this spring. My last bow was a Mathews FX. The Journey makes the FX sound like a shotgun. I have already killed a turkey and wild hog with it and would not trade it for my boss's Reezen.
    29.5'' draw, 360gr. arrow, 72#, 319fps

Quote Originally Posted by rcklnhunter View Post
    When I looked at the Mission Buckmasters it has a machined riser,parrallel limbs, roller guard and is about 316 FPS with an MSRP of $699. When you compare a Drenalin it has all same features but 4 FPS faster and $150 more.

So maybe its the harmonic dampeners and the types of bushings used. I never thought a company would cut corners there. I will take a look at the smaller details.
    It goes a little bit further than that.

The drenalin weighs quite a bit less too. It also has the SE3 slim limb, which is a very tough composite limb system. Their limb pockets are also spherelocks, which is a pivoting system that actually moves as you draw and shoot. It also comes with a Barracuda string.... and despite what some folks might tell you, they are an excellent quality string and cable.

The Mission Buckmasters is extremely similar in look, specs and feel to the now discontinued (sadly) Switchback XT, which along with the Switchback are two of the finest hunting bows ever made. In comparision, however, the mission line has molded ABS limb pockets. I'm not positive if their limbs are composite or layered glass, but while they are good, they are not as tough as the SE3 or 4 limbs (not that its really a problem, but it does add mass weight). As you pointed out, there are no harmonic dampeners (and don't doubt for a second that makes a huge difference in noise and vibration), and the stock strings are Zebra Hybrids.... which are better than most stock bowstrings for sure, but again not Cuda's.

For the same money, as a buckmasters, I'd look hard at an S2.

I also think that the new Mission Eliminator is one of the best bows on the market for under $500 and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with one.

I hunt and 3d with my eliminator, love it.

Thumbs up Mission is GREAT!!!

I shoot a Mission Eliminator 28.5" dl, 70#dw 400gr Blackhawk Vapors = 303 fps
    So, for those of you that say they are not a speed bow, well no they are not if you have the money to buy a 1000$ bow only Monster! For those of us good blue collar working military members Mission has a great line of bows. I love my Eliminator, quiet and very smooth. My neighbor has an older Martin Bengal and I blow his shots away with speed, smoothness and quietness.

Yes, they are covered under the same warranty by Mathews. No, they do not have the roller gaurds but then again not all new bows on the shelf have that feature on them either. There are many great bows still using slide technology. My Dad has a Switchback by Mathews and he has said many times that he would have bought a Mission if they were available at the time.

Mission Eliminator. 29" @ 65 lb. Just got two weeks ago and I love it.

Look into the S2. I love the extra weight compared to the "lighter" bows on the market. A quality Mathews bow!

My setup is below. I've been shooting the Eliminator for three months and really like it!

Mission Eliminator 65/28
    Extreme Challenger 3-pin sight
    Extreme 5" Air Weight Hunter Multi-Rod Stabilizer
    QAD Ultra-Rest Pro Series HD drop away rest
    Scott release
    Beman ICS Bow Hunter 400 8.4gpi
    Rage SlipCam 3 blade

Listen, I am a Mathews man through and through. There's no doubt about it, I own the Mission Buckmaster by Mathews. My dad owns the Mathews DXT. I honestly love both. But compared to the DXT the Buckmaster is the smoothest to pull back. There's no "hump" to pull past, the roller guards add to the smoothness and make it great. Sure the Buckmaster isn't as compact as the DXT but it is a working man's bow. It won't break the bank and it is worth so much more than it retails for. Both bows put some serious tail behind the arrow that is for sure. The Buckmaster is actually forged from the mold of the Mathews Outback, with just a few modifications. The Harmonic Dampers aren't on the Mission line but all in all there isn't a whole lot of impact.

I shoot a Dren

Just yesterday, with my Dren, and GT sticks 29" long, I shot 285 drawing 65 lbs. Plenty of speed for me in a super smooth bow.

Good Luck

barvid

I like the Mathews probably because they do not make a DL long enough for me in the Mission. ...so I shoot the Drenalin LD and it is a great bow. I used to have a Switchback and loved it though I owned a 30"DL (too short for me) and put an extra long D-Loop on it to get to my DL. Another comment that I haven't seen yet is that I feel if you were going to resell a Mathews, it will probably sell at a higher price over the Mission. This is not due to the quality becuase they are both same quality. Is is due to features and perception. Another reason I like both manufactures is that they both are based on a company/owner that is Christian.
    "Speed is only Velocity without Direction."
    In Memory of Cliff my Bro: Martin Fury, Darton Mt Bow, Triumph, Drenalin LD, Conquest 3, Monster 7
    **Ohio Division of Wildlife Hunter Ed. Instructor, NRA Life Member, Free Mason**
    Romans 12:1-21, Matthew 5:1-20